Hair shedding when getting into the groove of LLLT

Share/Bookmark

Peachfuzz

RankRank

Total Posts: 46

August 16, 2010, 08:10 PM

OK.. everything I’ve read says increased hair shedding is normal when you start. It means everything is working and will subside and new happy little hairs will grow. So just keep on keeping on.

But MAN! Seriously! At the rate I’m going I’m going to need hedge clippers for my fantastic new hair.

That’s besides the point.. just the words that came out of my mouth tonight after my pre-laser shower was not quite lady like and I was cursing every one of you that if I don’t get new hair… So.. if at around 8:30 PM EST you all felt a sharp pain anywhere on your body don’t worry.. it was just me cursing all of you.

OMG you are right with the Poly 50/50 mix.  I’m feeling a definite difference right now doing my treatment.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 1 ]

August 16, 2010, 10:12 PM

Peachfuzz. I’m certainly no expert on lasers. But I do consider myself quite experienced in dealing with people that are losing hair. I’ve run a web site for over 10 years now on the subject and I’ve talked with thousands of people. In my experience people who “freak out” over their hair loss have a poor track record with treatment. I don’t know exactly why this is. It could be stress related. It could be that people who “freak out” tend to jump around from treatment to treatment or utilize too many treatments at once.

At any rate I think you should try not to pay so much attention to your condition. I think you should try to concentrate on something else. You’ve obviously picked a good treatment regimen so just stick with the routine and try your best to move on with the rest of your life as best you can.

I hope this post doesn’t end up pissing you off. I assure you that was not my intention. I’m just trying to relay something I’ve learned from years of dealing with people experiencing hair loss.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 897

# 2 ]

August 16, 2010, 10:33 PM

PeachFuzz…

I’ve been telling people to use the polysorbate 80 50/50 mix since the day I started all of this, and you’re actually one of the only people who have LISTENED!  So, that’s awesome!  Stick with that… just imagine how great it’ll be after a year of that increased stimulation!

I think I’m going to start giving away coffee mugs with a “Laser Coffee” logo on them as rewards, by the way, and I seriously think you’ve earned one if I do that.  Seriously… NO ONE listens to me about that, and I think it’s a very important part of ensuring results!

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

Peachfuzz

RankRank

# 3 ]

August 16, 2010, 10:34 PM

Hey Zix!

No, not pissed off at all.  I’m taking it as more of a confirmation this is a normal part of the process.

So! My hair didn’t get thinner over night and this path to hair growth isn’t going to happen over night either. I’m just gonna re-focus and take the shed as confirmation I’m on the right path.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 4 ]

August 16, 2010, 11:19 PM

Hi Peachfuz. I dug this out of my files. It’s Dr Proctor’s comments on shedding. You probably already realize this but maybe it will make you feel even better about your treatment.

Briefly: your hair typically grows for two to four years and then goes into a two to four month loss phase. It then falls out. Baldness occurs when the follicle “miniaturizes”. This results in the growth of finer hair, which spends shorter and shorter periods of time in the growth phase. Some follicles may completely stop growing new hair and go dormant.

Hair growth stimulators work by forcing follicles out of the dormant state, as well as by deminiaturizing balding follicles. That is, hair loss treatment agents make the hair grow out coarser and make it spend longer in the grow phase.

If a dormant follicle still has a loss-phase hair in it, bringing the follicle out of dormancy may cause this loss-phase hair to shed early. Best way to think of is is that as new hair starts to grow, it may cause any loss-phase hair to fall out earlier than it normally would have. Typically, this presents as a wave of loss starting about 3-6 weeks after starting treatment and lasting a month or so. The Rogaine package insert says it can show as early as two weeks, but this is unusual. We know the hair was already in the loss-phase because the shedding starts and generally completes in less than the 2-4 months that hair spend in the loss-phase.

I was probably the first to see this effect of hair-growth-stimulators over 20 years ago. Since then, it has proved characteristic of all agents which bring follicles out of dormany. This means all agents that work, no exceptions. In fact, the better and more quickly a person responds to treatment, the more likely they are to see it. It seems to show visibly about 10-15% of the time.

Not to worry—because it is a sign that treatment is working, an early wave of shedding tends to be associated with a good eventual result. Also, the hair was scheduled to fall out in the next few weeks anyway.

IGNORE

jads

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

# 5 ]

August 17, 2010, 03:24 AM

Hi Zix,  is it always a poor sign if laser or another growth treatment only provides a mild shed initially?

About 5-6 weeks into laser I noticed a few hairs falling but not what I’d call a serious shed.  I’m curious as to why some here have experienced big sheds 6-12 months into their treatments.  It’s a complicated cycle I guess and everyone is different !

Jads

IGNORE

Peachfuzz

RankRank

# 6 ]

August 17, 2010, 11:40 AM

The Zix Creator - August 16, 2010, 11:19 PM

Hi Peachfuz. I dug this out of my files. It’s Dr Proctor’s comments on shedding. You probably already realize this but maybe it will make you feel even better about your treatment.

Briefly: your hair typically grows for two to four years and then goes into a two to four month loss phase. It then falls out. Baldness occurs when the follicle “miniaturizes”. This results in the growth of finer hair, which spends shorter and shorter periods of time in the growth phase. Some follicles may completely stop growing new hair and go dormant.

Hair growth stimulators work by forcing follicles out of the dormant state, as well as by deminiaturizing balding follicles. That is, hair loss treatment agents make the hair grow out coarser and make it spend longer in the grow phase.

If a dormant follicle still has a loss-phase hair in it, bringing the follicle out of dormancy may cause this loss-phase hair to shed early. Best way to think of is is that as new hair starts to grow, it may cause any loss-phase hair to fall out earlier than it normally would have. Typically, this presents as a wave of loss starting about 3-6 weeks after starting treatment and lasting a month or so. The Rogaine package insert says it can show as early as two weeks, but this is unusual. We know the hair was already in the loss-phase because the shedding starts and generally completes in less than the 2-4 months that hair spend in the loss-phase.

I was probably the first to see this effect of hair-growth-stimulators over 20 years ago. Since then, it has proved characteristic of all agents which bring follicles out of dormany. This means all agents that work, no exceptions. In fact, the better and more quickly a person responds to treatment, the more likely they are to see it. It seems to show visibly about 10-15% of the time.

Not to worry—because it is a sign that treatment is working, an early wave of shedding tends to be associated with a good eventual result. Also, the hair was scheduled to fall out in the next few weeks anyway.

Thanks Zix -

Yes, it does make me feel better smile 

Some things caught my eye.  I most like the last one .. ‘early wave of shedding… good eventual result’  I think my new mantra is going to be the last sentence…. ‘The hair was scheduled to fall out in the next few weeks anyway’

I just made an appointment at a hoity-toity hair place to get something new that will help me along with this shedding phase and help me focus on something else.

Sorry about getting all girly and public freak out…

~Peach

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 7 ]

August 17, 2010, 02:20 PM

Hi Zix,  is it always a poor sign if laser or another growth treatment only provides a mild shed initially?

Hi Jads. No….I’ve heard of success stories with either scenario. Unfortunately the shedding people frequently quit an otherwise good treatment. But your question begs another response as well. We really do have to focus on other things. In otherwords don’t look in the mirror so much. Say to yourself “this is my treatment regimen and I’m going to stick with it and now that I’m doing everything I can do I’m going to move on to the next problem in life”.

The point is we can only control what treatments we use and being compliant with those treatments. We can’t control how well they will work. Once we’re doing everything we can do then there is nothing further to worry about. What will be will be.

This reduces our stress level and compounds the benefits we receive from treatment.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 8 ]

August 17, 2010, 02:22 PM

Hi Peachfuz.

Sorry about getting all girly and public freak out…

You’re not doing anything I didn’t do at one point in my life! LOL!

IGNORE

Mastery

RankRank

Total Posts: 234

# 9 ]

August 19, 2010, 11:14 PM

Just would like to add my 02 cents worth, I am probably the worst offenderof what Zix says - and he is RIGHT!

You have to MEDITATE and focus on the joys in your life. I am in my view terrible at it, that is why I aim for Mastery, the absence of all mental and emotional suffering… 

So if you do over focus on it like I do, use it as a bio feedback mechanism teaching you about your environment and your interaction with it, and your own sensitivities.

Peach fuzz if you are shedding a lot, this may sound odd, but if you add meditation and as wonderful a diet as you truly can, and perhaps imorve indoor air qulaity as muchas you can, you *may* notice a difference,...!

all the best!

IGNORE

actionreaction

RankRank

Total Posts: 25

# 10 ]

August 23, 2010, 01:19 PM

Mastery - August 19, 2010, 11:14 PM

Just would like to add my 02 cents worth, I am probably the worst offenderof what Zix says - and he is RIGHT!

You have to MEDITATE and focus on the joys in your life. I am in my view terrible at it, that is why I aim for Mastery, the absence of all mental and emotional suffering… 

So if you do over focus on it like I do, use it as a bio feedback mechanism teaching you about your environment and your interaction with it, and your own sensitivities.

Peach fuzz if you are shedding a lot, this may sound odd, but if you add meditation and as wonderful a diet as you truly can, and perhaps imorve indoor air qulaity as muchas you can, you *may* notice a difference,...!

all the best!

I strongly agree.  You are channeling your sub conscious and thus aiming to regulate it, allowing you to manage cortisol much better.

Of a suprahuman immensity in a patch of sand or a raptors guileless shivering intensity, I’m only a visitor,
an atom of atoms on a jutting red splattered synagogue of granite as it crouches literally in space
A frozen amoral giant gazing heavenward, forever

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.