Polysorbate 80

Share/Bookmark

UnBRoKeN_PoweR

RankRank

Total Posts: 34

September 09, 2010, 10:57 AM

Hi guys

I currently use P80 as it is, in its “raw” form. Is this ok? because sometimes i feel alot of loose hairs gets easily pulled out, can it be too harsh on my scalp?

I think that alcohol on hair is just bad, and i dont see the logic behind mixing it with P80. can anyone explain? can i continue using it in its form?

Can anyone explain how to mix with alcohol? (what type of alcohol, what ratio etc)

IGNORE

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 108

# 1 ]

September 09, 2010, 03:34 PM

i think its preferable to mix it because it is so thick and can not easily be spread. those are probably hairs that would be getting lost anyway so i dont think that is something to be concerned about. i remember reading somewhere here that its a 50/50 mix and i use ethyl alcohol, the reason being is thats what is used in the zix formula.

i’m no expert on this and actually i posted some questions about polysorbate in my own post yesterday

IGNORE

Tritium

RankRank

Total Posts: 42

# 2 ]

September 09, 2010, 04:52 PM

I mix it roughly 50/50 with vodka because ethanol is so hard to find here in the UK. This may ease your worries on the alcohol issue. The Zix creator mention testing alcohol by pouring the stuff on one arm every day for years (iirc) and saw no noticeable changes.

It’s basically just to make it much easier to apply. And yeah, don’t worry about loosening off any hairs, they weren’t in there for the long haul smile

Tritium
*edited to correct error*

IGNORE

Mastery

RankRank

Total Posts: 234

# 3 ]

September 19, 2010, 05:09 AM

try polysorbate 20 - lighter liquid, also less toxicity

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 4 ]

September 19, 2010, 03:05 PM

Hi unbroken power. Personally I’m of the opinion that ethyl alcohol has been the victim of much disinformation.

First ethyl alcohol is completely natural.  Second we actually have a study where for six months ethyl alcohol was used as the control in a study done against minoxidil. After six months of twice a day applications of ethyl alcohol at concentration much greater than found in zix there was no loss of hair!

So how can you beat that as a penetrant and preservative? We simply have no penetrant or preservative with that kind of data supporting it’s use.

Now there is a bit of a down side. Ethyl alcohol can have a drying effect on scalp and hair. You have to be careful not to use too much of it. If you do use too much your scalp will become dry and flaky and the hair shaft will be gradually leached of oils making it appear to be slightly thinner. These are just cosmetic drawbacks however. You aren’t losing hair because of the alcohol.

When using alcohol in a topical it’s best to balance it with something oily. So the net results is that you won’t have these drawbacks.

Now with polysorbate 80 this too can have a net drying effect on scalp and hair….since it really grabs a lot of oily sebum from the sclap that is washed away with showering. However most hair loss sufferers have a scalp that is too oily…..so P80 is never a problem. But if you tend to have dry skin you may want to be careful…..again you can overcome this drawback by balancing it with something oily if you’re using it in a topical. If your applying to the scalp before shampooing you may possibly have to use it less frequently if dryness becomes a problem. Or perhaps you could thin it out by mixing it with water, heating it and then letting it cool. If you use this procedure you can thin the P80 down to any consistency you wish.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 5 ]

September 19, 2010, 03:10 PM

The Zix creator mention testing alcohol by pouring the stuff on one arm every day for years (iirc) and saw no noticeable changes.

Yes as an RN I use alcohol wipes after every patient contact. In the course of 8 hours I probably use those wipes 100-200 times every day….well I don’t really count how often I do this but it’s quite often. I’ve been doing this for years and years and never have I lost any hair on my arms! Furthermore If I remember correctly the alcohol wipes are around 50% ethyl alcohol.

Interestingly….the wipes do not dry out the skin on your arms and hands. That’s because it is balanced with a small amount of oil.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.