Worldwide Power Supplies (video by O.M.G.)...

Share/Bookmark

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

September 21, 2010, 08:11 AM

I posted this at OverMachoGrande.com, but I wanted to put it here, too.  Absolutely, the two most common questions I get is “What power supply should I use when I make my own helmet?” and “O.M.G…  will the power supply for the fully wired helmets you make for people work in my country?”

Here is a video that talks all about the power supplies that I now use and answers those two questions!  Also, it explains how to wire them if you’ve ordered one on your own.

If you’ve Skyped me before, this should be a familiar setting!  Same lighting problems, too, so sorry about that… I need to mount some lights on the ceiling that can light me up a little bit so I won’t get drowned out by the bright sunshine behind me.

By the way, BONUS POINTS if you can tell me why I chose that particular song for the intro/exit bumper music!  Maybe I’ll put you on the list when we get prizes down the road…

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

lp69

RankRank

Total Posts: 33

# 1 ]

September 21, 2010, 12:05 PM

Spoiler:

“Keep your hands off my power supply” - Slade
Add me for a beer when I travel to your place cool smile

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 2 ]

September 21, 2010, 12:17 PM

lp69 - September 21, 2010, 12:05 PM

“Keep your hands off my power supply” - Slade

YES!!!  We have a winner!

I really thought I might be the only one in the world that remembered that reference! lol…

That was one of my first tapes ever, by the way.  I remember I got Def Leppard “Pyromania” at the same time, and I wore both of them out with my walkman.  Ah yes… Def Leppard, Slade, and going through puberty.  Those were the days!

I’m probably going to get some nice stainless steel “Laser Coffee” coffee mugs made with a logo that looks like my OverMachoGrande.com logo at the beginning of that video with something like “Lasers make coffee better” written in the bottom slogan part to give away -just for the hell of it, of course.  So, you’ll be at the top of the list for that if I get a few of those made!

Anyway, don’t forget to keep your damn hands off my power supply in the meantime! lol…

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

lp69

RankRank

# 3 ]

September 21, 2010, 12:19 PM

Great performance, and great audience, the cat seemed to enjoy !

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 4 ]

September 21, 2010, 12:32 PM

There are actually three cats in that video.  The one-eyed, grizzled black cat in my laser helmet instructions is sleeping behind me in that box (like he always does… he’s there now) -but you can’t really see him except for a bit of fur over my shoulder.  I had no clue that the other ones were even in the shot because I was so focused. lol…  Both the whitish one on the right and the tabby on the “kitty condo” (that RosarioRose9 gave me) were strays that I rescued from that awful poverty apartment I lived in before.

I’ve got stories about all of the cats I rescued that I know no one really cares about, but since it was brought up… that whitish one (Salty) is a real success story.  He was a total wild stray with perpetual wounds all over him, and he used to never let anyone touch him.  I can touch him about half the time now, and he always hangs around me -guarding and defending me.  He’s extremely loyal -to the point where I think he’d be one of those animals that would sit at my grave the rest of his life if I died! lol…

The tabby on the left is actually his daughter.  We didn’t know that because when we rescued her, she was tiny.  As she got bigger, we realized that they freaking look identical.  It’s funny, we realized that A LOT of the ones we rescued were in the same family.  We’ve got Salty, his sister, his son and daughter, and his “wife” (or whatever you want to call it -the mother of his son and daughter).  We couldn’t get his father (who was VERY OLD for a stray -probably six to eight years old).  We neutered him and got him his shots, but he wanted to “cat around” a little more I think, and he disappeared before we left.

So, this really shows how just one or two cats can create a really big stray problem in an area.  It’s really sad -but hey, I’ve at least done my part!  I rescued, spayed, and neutered a crap load of them, and took them out of that horrible environment!  Yes, they keep me poor, but they’re great friends (and apparently good video props occasionally).

-O.M.G.

IGNORE

lp69

RankRank

# 5 ]

September 21, 2010, 12:47 PM

Hopefully cats don’t need laser helmets…  Hell I was thinking, are we the only specie on earth to suffer hair loss ??? I can’t think of any HL example in animal kind

IGNORE

lp69

RankRank

# 6 ]

September 21, 2010, 12:55 PM

OverMachoGrande - September 21, 2010, 12:17 PM

I really thought I might be the only one in the world that remembered that reference! lol…

You are. Sorry but I must confess, I cheated confused
I used shazam to identify the song and google did the rest

IGNORE

Immortal Hair

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 120

# 7 ]

September 23, 2010, 01:41 AM

OMG - I saw three helmets in the background, are one those helmets like the one I’m getting?

Nice job on the video!

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/consultation.htm

IGNORE

alexhair

Rank

Total Posts: 6

# 8 ]

September 28, 2010, 11:22 PM

For the power supply, which way should we turn the voltage adjust to increase the voltage?  Counter-Clockwise or Clockwise?

Thanks

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 9 ]

October 07, 2010, 04:21 PM

Hey, Alexhair!

Sorry about the delay in responding!  I had a lot of business all of a sudden so I wanted to clear it out before I got back to working on the site!

You increase the voltage by turning it CLOCKWISE.  Decrease by turning it COUNTERCLOCKWISE.  Turn it gently, though… I’ve know a few people to twist it right off!

Now that you asked that, I remember I wanted to put text in that video about that since I forgot to say it outloud, but I obviously forgot to do that!

-O.M.G.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 10 ]

October 07, 2010, 05:29 PM

Cool video John. Something even an idiot like myself would understand.

IGNORE

hairpirate

Rank

Total Posts: 1

# 11 ]

October 27, 2010, 09:29 PM

couple of questions,

I have the 3V 5A power supply from Aixiz. Am I correct to assume that all I need to do is take a power cord and cut off one end and attach it to the AC side of the power supply?

The other question I have is on the power cord itself. The power cord I’m thinking of using is a computer power cord, it says on it 125V 10A, can this be safely used with the power supply? I ask because the sticker on the power supply states “input: 100-120vac 1A”.

Thanks.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 12 ]

October 27, 2010, 09:52 PM

Hey, hairpirate!

Yes, you can do that with your power cord, and yeah… I think what you’re describing with the cord and the power supply is fine!  What you are looking at on the power supply is the INPUT volts/amps -what the power supply takes through that cord from the wall.  It’s going to take the 110volt current and 1 amp at the most (probably a lot less), and your cord can handle 125v and 10A.

By the way, just to let everyone know… I max the voltage adjustment knob fully clockwise on every single helmet I make!  It’s right in the heart of the voltage range that way.  I know that’s a current discussion in another thread, so I wanted to mention it here, too.

-O.M.G.

IGNORE

johnson

Rank

Total Posts: 8

# 13 ]

December 15, 2010, 06:27 PM

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about the power supply and cord. I’m in the process of constructing a switchable zone helmet which will have 128 diodes in total. I’m going to order the TRC Electronics 3.3 volt/ 7 amp Switching Power Supply. So being that I live in New York and will be powering 128 diodes, should I set the volts to 220 or 110?

Now concerning the cord, I’m a little confused. Can I just use any old 3-pronged extention cord I find at home depot, or does it have to be a certain kind with proper specs? Also, the cord is connected to the power supply at 3 points-live, neutral, and ground wires. Can I buy a specific cord that has this 3-way split at one end or do I have to cut and strip a cord myself, and if so, will the rosariorose9 wirestripper be able to do it?

Thanks for the help fellas

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 14 ]

December 15, 2010, 06:47 PM

Hey, Johnson!

110 volts!  What that number means is the amount of voltage that comes out of the socket, and North America, Japan, and a couple of other isolated spots have 110 volt electricity systems.  Most of the rest of the world is on 220 volts.  So, this is why you’ve probably heard stories about Europeans using American products and they “explode” -it’s because it’s getting double the voltage it can handle.

So, the power supply can do both, but the switch needs to be switched.  Also, there is a difference in between “input volts” (from the outlet) and “output volts” (to the device).  What every adapter or power supply does -the ones for the helmet, the one on your computer, etc.- is convert that 110 volts raw power to the 3.3 volts or whatever the device/appliance needs.

Now, with the cord that goes from the wall to the power supply… you can pretty much use any three prong cord.  You’ll see an amps rating on the replacement power cords in Home Depot or Lowes, and don’t worry about it… buy the cheaper one.  The cord only needs to handle about 1 amp or something -and this is the difference between “input amps” (from the wall to the power supply, and only needs to be about 1 amp) and “output amps” (which is from the cord to the helmet, and is CRUCIAL to have a high amps capability).  The power supply is only going to draw about an amp from the wall outlet.

Now, the one I use is a 16 amp capability one -and the reason is simply because that’s what they HAVE.  The market for replacement power cords is for people that accidently cut their power supply cord in half with their circular saw or hedge trimmer (I’ve done both!), and those things -since they have so much “rip strength”- require a lot of amps.  So, you won’t find a two amp one, and it doesn’t matter anyway because you just have to make sure what you need is UNDER the amount of amps.  Amps aren’t like volts, where if you don’t get the number close you’re going to screw something up!

It will come with three wires exposed on the non-prong end, though -live, neutral, and ground.  If you get the one from Home Depot (It’s 8ft., 16amps for about $8 bucks), you won’t have to do any trimming or anything.  It’s ready to put right in.  The three wires ones from Lowes has wires that are a little too short to shove into our power supply, so you may find you have to strip more of it back to make the three wires longer.

Does that help?

-O.M.G.

IGNORE

johnson

Rank

Total Posts: 8

# 15 ]

December 15, 2010, 07:05 PM

Yup that helps alot, thank you sir. I’ll post my results when I’m a few months down the LLLT road. Wish me luck!

Thanks again

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 16 ]

December 15, 2010, 07:53 PM

Good luck!  We’ll be here if you need us!

By the way, you might want to check this thread if you haven’t seen it:
http://www.worldhairloss.org/index.php/forums/viewthread/235/#2093

It’s the most recent wiring update!

-O.M.G.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.