Demon diodes strike again

Share/Bookmark

BaldbeGone

RankRank

Total Posts: 81

December 08, 2010, 01:06 PM

I had problems before with my laser messiah and those motherf!%#&@ demon diodes!...anyway OMG was kind enough to fix it.

Now I received my helmet about over two weeks ago and I’ve been handling this thing like a new born baby. AND THESE MOTHER@!%@&^# DEMON DIODES ok ok I’m just a bit upset…They came back. I almost couldn’t believe it. There has to be something I’m doing wrong. As of now I counted 26 hot diodes that had the typical symptoms of being demonic…little spec of light, barely lit, and hot as effin hell.

Right now the configuration for my 300diode helmet :::

The black wire or power cord is hooked up to the first 3 screws (black wire to L) (white wire to N) ( blue wire to FG),

The red cord or the one that hooks up to the helmet itself is hooked up to the 5th screw and the last or 7th screw (black wire to G) (white wire to V+)

The power adapter (model number: TN-100-3.3) is set to 110V instead of 220V…could that be the problem? maybe it’s not getting enough juice? It is 300diodes… There’s also this little orange screw screw nob thing right next to the 7th screw. I have no clue what that does.

Anyway I’m desperate for help because this cannot be the diodes fault. 26> dimming out on me and becoming demonic in a matter of weeks is unfathomable. I really do not want to go to OMG for help about this seeing as he’s busy and all these days. I just need some help. This is just getting plain ridiculous. I just want to get on my regimen and stick with it, not worry about frying my scalp.

Also I was wondering if these demon diodes are contagious or something? do they “infect” other diodes surrounding them? How long should my helmet be able to stay turned on without them burning out like this?

SOMEbody ANYbody please help! :(

Sure, shit happens...but so does good shit!

IGNORE

lp69

RankRank

Total Posts: 33

# 1 ]

December 09, 2010, 07:59 AM

Hi,
I’m having a similar problem with my 415-diode.
After about one year of good service, I suddenly noticed that a lot of demon diodes, nearly 50, ALL in the same area (vertex, inside the green line in the attached picture ).

OMG kindly sent me replacement diodes, but, less than on month later, they burned again ! At least half of them new diodes, always in the same area.
I immediately removed all the diodes that were dead or dying to avoid contagion (?). It’s been 2 months now and i didn’t checked back on the helmet - i’m so lazy - but will do and keep you updated.

I must say I have NO idea what causes this. I checked the voltage which is the same all over the helmet.
The dying diodes are not all on the same nodes. Some nodes contain good and bad diodes. The only thing is that they are next to each other and in the vertex area.

To end things on a good note, I have to say, after 15 month of LLLT that it works VERY VERY well. Still no frontline regrowth, but my hair is thick as never before, and it looks like i have regrowth in the vertex and top of the head areas. My hairdresser is totally amazed everytime i see her.

Image Attachments  int_1.jpg

IGNORE

BaldbeGone

RankRank

# 2 ]

December 09, 2010, 03:41 PM

Do you still use the helmet even though your diodes are burning? Should I just remove the dead/dying diodes and wait for replacement diodes and try to fix it myself?

By the way whats a good test to see which diodes should go? should I run the helmet for one hour? and remove the diodes that are dim/hot as hell/etc?

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 3 ]

December 09, 2010, 05:59 PM

Just to say upfront that these are probably two completely different issues, so don’t try to find a common link here (yet!). 

In LP69’s case, yeah, I’ve seen this on a couple of helmets before!  It’s bizarre… they are near each other, but not necessarily in the same cluster -and usually always right in that top/center area.

My first thoughts are that it’s the “path of least resistance” from the power supply -but being that they aren’t necessarily in the same cluster kind of thwarts that.  But maybe it’s still the path of least resistance because maybe they are all in that BACK 1/3rd of the helmet.

So, if it’s this, it means that the power supplies can spike too much energy or something, and it goes to the closest diodes.  The closest diodes aren’t necessarily in the same CLUSTER, but they maybe have the shortest wire distance or whatever.

It still seems like there are diodes that are CLOSER, though -like the ones in the clusters towards the very back.  So, we have NO IDEA why it does this in that area more than the others.  For whatever reason, that’s where it fails.

My thoughts are that when it’s in this area, it’s more than likely the power supply -and it needs to be replaced.  I’ve actually had a helmet in my hands that did that when I plugged it up to a power supply that had been on for a really long time (a couple of days).  I turned it off, let it cool, and it didn’t do it again.  So, that’s just more evidence that it’s the power supply.

Now, Baldbegone… I think in your case these are simply still bad diodes, and it’s as simple as that.  The power supply is wired fine, and since you’re in the US you keep it at 110v.  Also, it’s a new one. 

The screw adjusts the voltage and chances are it’s maxed out, so you can twist it DELICATELY down (counterclockwise) a little bit and see if that helps, but I don’t think it will.

If I remember correctly, I remade your helmet but swapped out the ones that had failed previously.  I think the ones that failed THIS TIME probably are more old bad ones from LAST TIME.  Also, every time you take diodes out of a helmet and put them into a new helmet, you’re going to have an increased likelihood of this problem because stress on the circuit board where the wires are soldered on can cause this.  So, when I had to put back every single one of those diodes that you tore out in a brand new helmet, I’m not surprised that some of them weakened either by you pulling them out or by me pushing them in -and we wouldn’t have known until later (which is probably NOW!).

I can send you diodes that you can replace, but you have to wait because there is a worldwide 5mW diode shortage!  lol…  At least for the past couple of weeks.  Everything will be back to normal probably by this time next week.

So, in summary, TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ISSUES HERE!

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

lp69

RankRank

# 4 ]

December 10, 2010, 04:39 AM

Yes OMG you may well be right. Since the issue has happened again with brand new diodes in the same place, what else could it be ?
I’ll try to find a power supply here on the local market for the french eletrical network. What are the exact specs i should be looking for ?

IGNORE

lp69

RankRank

# 5 ]

December 10, 2010, 04:44 AM

BaldbeGone - December 09, 2010, 03:41 PM

By the way whats a good test to see which diodes should go? should I run the helmet for one hour? and remove the diodes that are dim/hot as hell/etc?

Yes i’m still using the helmet as other diodes have no problem. I removed the dying diodes because they were 20 of them running hot in the same area and i couldn’t support the heat on my scalp.

BaldbeGone - December 09, 2010, 03:41 PM

After a session of 20 mn, you’d have three sort of diodes:
1- those running normally
2- those 100% dead
3- those emitting low light, and very hot, that is, you can’t leave your finger on it

Replace 2 & 3

IGNORE

BaldbeGone

RankRank

# 6 ]

December 14, 2010, 12:31 AM

Ok I’ve clipped 26 diodes out that were acting like 2&3…I’m pretty sure you’re right OMG. I guess I’ll just clip em as they keep coming and hopefully I’ll weed out the bad ones slowly but surely, besides I’m pretty sure these little suckers are infectious or something. I still have 7 or so new diodes you gave me as extras so I’ll replace those first.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.