This might be a dumb question…

Share/Bookmark

ak161803

RankRank

Total Posts: 26

December 15, 2010, 11:38 PM

Hi all,

This might be a dumb question so forgive me in advance for asking it…

I noticed with all the different treatment formulas out there (Super Zix II, Polysorbate 80/Ethyl Alcohol, etc.) that they all have instructions to use a dropper for application.  I have never been a fan of the dropper because it seems like the liquid “beads” up and is tough to keep on the scalp and can get messy.

With all of these “homemade” formulas, is there any evidence to suggest that the dropper is better?  I would think that using a spray bottle or something along those lines may be a better application experience and much cleaner/more efficient…is there anything to say that this may be less effective?

Again, I know this may sound dumb but I am honestly curious.

Thanks.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 1 ]

December 16, 2010, 10:13 AM

Couple of reasons: First and foremost, with homemade forumlas there is usually a little bit of buildup at the bottom, and also they are “suspensions” -meaning you have to shake them before you use them.  This usually means that it’ll clog the sprayer pretty quickly!  I know the times I’ve experimented with sprayers, this was the primary reason I didn’t stick with it.

Also, though… it depends on hair type, how long it is, etc.  When I cut my hair really short (and if I found a sprayer that didn’t get clogged), it would have been a little bit better, but there is no way it’d work for me now.  It’d all be blocked by the hair!

The other thing about dropper bottles is that you can target it right on the scalp.  I think most people DO NOT rub in topicals enough -you should really put a drop or two in one area and massage that around in about a one or two square inch area for 20 seconds.  This really aids in the penetration (and I’ve seen some “studies” on this before, but that was back in 1998 so I don’t think I could find them anymore!).

I think that if you used the sprayer, you’d do even less massaging.  I just don’t think that any topical is going to be effective if you just “spray and go”.  Over the years, I’ve become a pro at the dropper, though.  It never runs down my face anymore, so you CAN get better at it -it’s an ART!  I don’t think it’s all with my fingers, either… I think some of it is head positioning.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it, but feel free to go try it!  Oh, the polysorbate 80 thing is THICK.  You won’t be able to spray that at all.

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

ak161803

RankRank

# 2 ]

December 16, 2010, 04:18 PM

Thanks OMG!

You get those diodes yet?  Looking forward to starting the LLLT soon!

IGNORE

J87

RankRank

Total Posts: 75

# 3 ]

December 16, 2010, 10:46 PM

Do you ever used LEDs on your scalp, or is that kind of pointless if already using LLLT?

IGNORE

ak161803

RankRank

# 4 ]

December 16, 2010, 11:42 PM

I’m not the guy to ask…in fact, i’m just looking to start my LLLT in the next week or so.  Someone else might be able to answer the LED question…

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.