Lugol’s Iodine for Hair Loss and Scar Removal

Share/Bookmark

FunkyStumpfighter

RankRank

Total Posts: 64

January 06, 2011, 01:48 PM

I do think it is possible to reverse maybe up to moderate cases of fibrotic scarring using Lugol’s solution. I know I am a broken record with this stuff, but it would blow your mind the kind of skin issues I have taken care of using heavy Lugol’s application. The only scar I have not been able to get rid of is my appendectomy scar, which is a 5cm x 1cm mass of pure scar tissue that goes all the way down into the muscle. I feel as though a 2-3 week Lugol’s bonanza on your hair bearing areas every 3-4 months or so would be highly beneficial in a number of ways. Besides the fact that I’d say it would do a pretty good number on fibrosis, the skin that is revealed after a few weeks of super heavy Lugol’s application looks and feels so much healthier that it is hard to imagine things like LLLT not working much better on it.

Honestly, it is a pain in the ass to use, and it is unsightly if used in an area others will see, but if anyone doubts just how effective the stuff is at skin rejuvenation, they should try it somewhere where no one will see faithfully for a month. Better yet, try it on the oldest scar you have. The only reason I’m not pushing this more vehemently for hair loss purposes is because of how hard it is to use, and how unsightly it is. Anyone who’s not concerned with either of those things should try it out.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 1 ]

January 06, 2011, 01:50 PM

FunkyStumpfighter,

Your name makes me think of that old Beatle’s song Paperback Writer.  It ryhmes and has the same cadence.  I am willing to try your Lugol’s solution on a scar on my leg as a test.  So how exactly do you treat scars to make them go away with Iodine?

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 903

# 2 ]

January 06, 2011, 01:53 PM

Hey, guys!  I thought this was an interesting topic (especially because I OWN a bottle of Lugol’s!), so I tapped into some of my rarely-used, super galactic copy/move post powers!

Funky…  I know you said you’d respond to him via PM, but please share that here!

-O.M.G.

paperbackwriter.png

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

FunkyStumpfighter

RankRank

# 3 ]

January 06, 2011, 04:49 PM

Ahh, no problem. This could get pretty long, but I’ll lay it all out at once.

So here’s my experience with topical Lugol’s, let me just say that I have no experience with SSKI or other forms of iodine so I have no idea how well Lugol’s works compared to other forms. Topical Lugol’s has taken care of more skin imperfections for me, and is more efficient in doing so, than anything else I have tried (chemical peels, enzymes, microdermabrasion). Basically, what it is doing (as far as I understand it, at least in basic terms anyway) is inducing apoptosis in the skin, causing it to shed rapidly. Such a rapid shedding of skin layers causes the skin beneath it to have to regenerate itself more quickly, which creates a patch of constantly regenerating skin. It seems to do what all other forms of skin peeling/abrasion does, but does so so quickly and without stop that the skin beneath is thrown into a persistent regenerative state. There may be more to it, and probably is, but this is what I observed in a basic sense.

I see there being 2 different uses for topical Lugol’s, depending on your needs, and maybe more so on your dedication to maintaining an ugly looking sometimes sore skin patch. The first of which being deep regeneration, where the Lugol’s is applied many times a day for at least a month, and the patch of regenerating skin is maintained constantly. The second being a means of super exfoliating, where the patch of regenerating skin isn’t maintained, with applications coming maybe once a day, or maybe a few light applications a day. The deep regeneration will exfoliate the skin while forming a hard plastic-sheet-like layer that will protect the gooey regenerating skin beneath, while the the lighter applications will cause the skin to shed/exfoliate, but the plastic-sheet-like layer will never form (or barely form).

The lighter applications can be applied any old way, and at a frequency of as little as once a day, with the freedom to miss a day here and there. This kind of exfoliation will about match 2 layers of a 20% TCA peel every time the skin sheds, which would be once every 3-5 days I’d say (if applied at the bare minimum necessary). Things like red patches of crummy skin, random discolorations, very light superficial scarring, and red bumps can be treated really well like this. Application this light completely rid me of lots of little red bumps on my upper arms, bumps that were probably the remnants of keratosis pilaris or something like that. Skin will be evened out, and the texture will look amazing. A slightly heavier application has taken care of (actually, still in the process of taking care of on my left side, as it’s hard to do too large an area at once) hundreds of tiny dot-scars on my chest from my acne heavy teen years. These are the little white dots that anyone who had decent body acne knows all about, the look like permanent goose bumps. These bumps are completely gone, something that the vets on the acne.org forums might tell you is impossible.

It is a lightly moderate application regimen that I feel could be beneficial as an adjunct to just about any hair loss treatment, as it would safely peel the skin many times over and reveal some really healthy brand new skin. I’ll get into how I think that could be done in a sec.

The deeper regeneration applications should be done a certain way, and really is a pain in the ass to keep up with, but the results I got while using Lugol’s this way blew my mind. What you do is take the area you want to regenerate, and saturate it in Lugol’s solution. You don’t rub it in (especially not with your finger), you simply apply a fair amount, move it around a little with the dropper, and let it sit. This is important, you let it sit on the area for as long as you can completely undisturbed, try not to let it drip off or anything. The red staining you’re looking for seems to have an affinity for the skin, and will be pulled right out of the Lugol’s solution into the skin until the skin is saturated. You will notice that if you leave a puddle of the dark Lugol’s on an area, after a few minutes you will have a big red spot on your skin, and the puddle of Lugol’s will go from a dark red to a very light red. It is this affinity for the skin that drove me to stop using DMSO along in it, as well as the fact that DMSO seemed to lessen the effect. Anyway, so you saturate the skin, let it dry/wipe it off, do it again, and repeat the process 2-3 times a day. When your skin starts peeling, you’ll notice that instead of fresh skin beneath, there will be a hard plastic-sheet-like layer of skin beneath it. This indicates that the deeper regeneration has started, and that this plastic sheet of skin is protecting it. After maybe a week and a half or so, you might be able to physically see the dull gooey skin regenerating beneath it as you run your fingernail across it. It is this kind of regeneration would be used for larger scars, and took a rather nasty half dollar sized road rash scar on my arm to a barely noticeable heart shaped patch of fibrotic tissue less than the size of a dime… in about a month and a half.

The light applications would be really good for basic scalp health I believe. You could possibly use a modified spray bottle to spray the lugols down onto the scalp after a shower, and simply let it sit until it dries (it will dry very quickly even on a damp scalp). Doing this once in the morning and once at night for a few weeks would likely cause the skin to peel at least 4 or 5 full times, though I can’t imagine the peeling would follow any constant schedule on the whole. The longer it is used, the more the skin will regenerate peel-style, so it would basically only come down to how long you’d be willing to stick with it, or to the observance of any unknown side effects (shedding, etc.). To fully understand what I’m talking about, you’d only need to lightly apply it anywhere on your body for a few weeks. Seeing the process in action will be much more informative than my explanation of it.

With healthier, newer skin being revealed so rapidly and powerfully, you would have a much better canvas to use just about any hair loss treatment that would benefit from being applied to a fresh and clear scalp. I also feel it would work well as a periodic adjunct to other forms of exfoliation, like Scalp Skin Lady’s program, as it would give you fresher flesh to work with.

Now there’s the heavier deep regeneration applications for hair loss, let me just say that I don’t think this is something that would be feasible for any considerable length of time for anyone but the most dedicated. Personally, I used the lightest version of this kind of application (I never saw the gooey skin beneath the plastic like sheet of skin, and that plastic like sheet was barely maintained) on my hair line for a combined 3 months (a bit more than a month, some weeks off, then a bit less than 2 months), and saw great improvement on the skin in this area. I don’t mean in a superficial sense either, the flesh was springy, sensitive, and pink with blood in an area that was hard and without much sensitivity. Not only this, but I had strengthening of velus hairs in this area, and of the terminals that surrounded it. I didn’t keep up with it because A) it is not pretty, not in the least B) it is hard as hell to keep up with, and I wasn’t as regular with my applications as I should have been, and C) hahaha, it was hard as hell to keep up with. To do this kind of regeneration on a larger area, a crown for instance, you would likely have to spray it on and let it dry at least three times per application, at twice a day. However, based on what I have experienced, I believe this kind of deep regeneration could do a real number on fibrosis in the worst areas of the scalp. Dare I even say that, if used long enough, it may even regenerate transplant scars, though please don’t quote me on that.

Here is a few basic tidbits/caveats that I found made for an easier/more effective experience.

- Don’t rub it in with your fingers, let it sit. The lugol’s will be pulled into your finger as much, if not more (more surface area with fingerprints) than the area you want it to go. Let it sit, your skin will soak it up easily all by itself.

- For deep regeneration, that plastic sheet like layer of skin that appears under the shedding skin needs to be maintained, it is the sign that deeper regeneration is taking place beneath. If you are noticing fresh skin beneath your shedding skin when going for deeper regeneration, this likely means that the regeneration has stalled and the Lugol’s needs to be applied more heavily, or more often.

-The red staining of the skin mostly goes away with showering, but using some ascorbic acid in water as a rinse helps to remove the red stain too.

- Use a 2 bottle method. Take the Lugol’s you want to use, put about a week’s worth into another bottle, then use this second bottle when applying. The Lugol’s from the bottle you are using directly on your skin will lose potency, I am not sure why. Maybe it is because you constantly open and close the bottle, and there’s some evaporation at play. Maybe it is because the dead skin dust that WILL make it’s way back into the bottle after application absorbs some of the stain. I don’t know, all I know is that the Lugol’s will always become lighter in color while in a bottle you use for direct application, and this lighter color means you will have to apply more of it more often to achieve the same effect as fresh Lugol’s.

- DMSO seemed to lessen the effect of the solution, maybe because it was pulling the already easily absorbed red staining right into the blood. Plain Lugol’s always seemed more effective.

- I have no clue what would happen if applied to the scalp heavily for a long period of time. The skin would regenerate, yes, but I don’t know if there would be a shed caused by the fact that the area will be covered in dead skin for the duration of use.

- I have no clue whether or not it would discolor light hair with any permanence.

- For deeper regeneration, saturation of the skin is necessary, and I mean right until the skin looks like the surface of a brick. For anything lighter than the deeper regeneration, applying it any old way seems okay, but the better it is applied, the faster it will work.

There may be more, but that’s all I can think of at the moment. Hopefully some of you made it through this without falling asleep too many times. I just wan’t to say that I am by no means an expert on this stuff, this is all just what I’ve noticed in my personal experience, and speculation based on that. If you use Lugol’s and your balls fall off or something outrageous like that, please don’t come after me with a pitchfork. I’m going to go eat a few burgers and play video games for a few hours.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 903

# 4 ]

January 06, 2011, 05:24 PM

Wow, man… that’s like the post of the year already on January 6th!  It’s going to be all down hill from now. lol…

I’m going to experiement with this a little bit because I’m a firm believer that ANYTHING we can do to regenerate skin/tissue will help us.  First, I’m going to send Immortal over here to see if he can add or say anything about it -or tell us if he thinks that this is something we probably shouldn’t be messing with at all.  I know he’s researched Lugol’s pretty extensively (which is why I have it anyway).

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 5 ]

January 06, 2011, 05:40 PM

That is scary crazy!  Thanks for the info FunkyStumpfighter!  I will try the light applications on a small leg scar first.

Hey OMG, apparently FunkyStump is the Paperback Writer.

IGNORE

Immortal Hair

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 120

# 6 ]

January 06, 2011, 07:48 PM

FunkyStumpfighter - Great post!

I’ve only heard of DMSO being used with Tri-Quench, which is more potent than Lugol’s; made up of 25 mg of Potassium Iodide and 19 mg as Iodine

http://www.tahomadispensary.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=110067!162

Of course, SSKI and DMSO are for keloids/fibrosis in general and that takes forever.  Maybe just Lugol’s is better.

You’ve probably seen this study before:

Successful human scar regeneration by topical iodine: a case report: an interim (3.5 year) summary

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19168293

Now available for consultation (hair and/or health)
http://www.immortalhair.org/consultation.htm

IGNORE

Rosariorose9

RankRank

Total Posts: 101

# 7 ]

January 07, 2011, 12:55 AM

Is anyone concerned about possible systemic absorption of the iodine leading to iodine toxicity*?  I can’t cite specifics, but I recall people having encountered problems after using a iodine/baby oil mixture for a ‘tanning lotion’.:

*“Iodine Toxicity

Chronic toxicity may develop when intake is > 1.1 mg/day. Most people who ingest excess amounts of iodine remain euthyroid. Some people who ingest excess amounts of iodine, particularly those who were previously deficient, develop hyperthyroidism (Jod-Basedow phenomenon). Paradoxically, excess uptake of iodine by the thyroid may inhibit thyroid hormone synthesis (called Wolff-Chaikoff effect). Thus, iodine toxicity can eventually cause iodide goiter, hypothyroidism, or myxedema. Very large amounts of iodide may cause a brassy taste in the mouth, increased salivation, GI irritation, and acneiform skin lesions.”

IGNORE

Immortal Hair

RankRank

Editor

# 8 ]

January 07, 2011, 01:42 AM

The “Wolff-Chaikoff effect” is dogma, and this question has been presented to me dozens and dozens of times.  Here is a thread on it

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t1545-ot-hashimoto-s-and-iodine

Also read this:  http://www.oasisadvancedwellness.com/learning/wolff-chaikof-effect.html

IGNORE

Immortal Hair

RankRank

Editor

# 9 ]

January 07, 2011, 01:53 AM

One other thing that I forgot to address:  During iodine deficiency, an initial use of iodine in some will pull out toxic halides, such as bromide.  When bromide is being pulled out, some side-effects may occur.  It’s not from the iodine itself, it’s from the toxins being pulled out.

Vitamin C and Celtic salt or Himalayan salt can be used to reduce the effect of the toxins being pulled out.

These toxins are far more susceptible in iodine deficient patients than iodine sufficient patients. 

IGNORE

Rosariorose9

RankRank

Total Posts: 101

# 10 ]

January 07, 2011, 02:43 PM

Thanks, Immortal!

IGNORE

Eranu

Rank

Total Posts: 10

# 11 ]

January 09, 2011, 10:28 AM

Awesome post FunkyStumpFighter… I looked into it a bit and you are right when you mention Acne.org. Another forum where the Derry iodine scar study was posted, someone came in and claimed it had been disproved by the members at Acne.org - yeah, right.  It’s like the acne equivalent of hair loss boards pushing people into pharmaceuticals.

Anyway… I will probably give it a go on my acne scars, stretch marks and discolouration too. I wonder if using our lasers on the patch of regenerating skin would be of any benefit?

IGNORE

Frizzymane

Rank

Total Posts: 12

# 12 ]

January 09, 2011, 10:59 AM

I would be willing to give this a try on thinning areas, especially my crown where the staining probably would not be as noticeable.  I also have a 6 month old scar on my right biceps from surgical removal of a lipoma. 

What is a good source for the stuff?

“It is foolish to tear one’s hair in grief, as though sorrow would be made less by baldness.”  ~Cicero

IGNORE

scottyc33

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 141

# 13 ]

January 09, 2011, 04:49 PM

Eranu - January 09, 2011, 10:28 AM

Awesome post FunkyStumpFighter… I looked into it a bit and you are right when you mention Acne.org. Another forum where the Derry iodine scar study was posted, someone came in and claimed it had been disproved by the members at Acne.org - yeah, right. It’s like the acne equivalent of hair loss boards pushing people into pharmaceuticals.

Anyway… I will probably give it a go on my acne scars, stretch marks and discolouration too. I wonder if using our lasers on the patch of regenerating skin would be of any benefit?

What kind of acne scars?

I’d be amazed if this worked on pitted acne scars.

IGNORE

scottyc33

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 141

# 14 ]

January 09, 2011, 04:51 PM

Funky - do you think Iosol would work the same way?

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 15 ]

January 09, 2011, 07:33 PM

I went to acne.org.  Here their page for the discussion about iodine and scar regeneration,

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Regeneration-Human-Scar-t253325.html

Overall it didn’t seem to positive to me, but I do plan to try it on a small leg scar to see for myself.  One thing to note is that the acne.org people are mainly concerned and dealing with atrophic scars, which are notoriously hard to treat.

IGNORE

Eranu

Rank

Total Posts: 10

# 16 ]

January 10, 2011, 04:51 PM

scottyc33 - January 09, 2011, 04:49 PM

What kind of acne scars?

I’d be amazed if this worked on pitted acne scars.

I was thinking of using on the lumpy chest scars FunkyStumpFighter found success on.

Reading that acne.org thread is quite disheartening. I have pitted scars as well. I didn’t realise they were so difficult to treat, that sucks. To be fair they seemed to give it a fair crack, I got put off that place a long time ago thinking it was just full of accutane shills.

In the UK I can get Lugol’s in 3%, 7% or 15% but haven’t found 5% - I wonder if I could get away with using a stronger solution less often?

IGNORE

FunkyStumpfighter

RankRank

# 17 ]

January 10, 2011, 07:09 PM

@IH - Yeah, that’s the study I went off of when I started. Some amazing stuff there.

@Scotty - Don’t know, I only have experience with Lugol’s.

Yeah, that acne.org thread is disheartening, but you gotta remember that site is the acne equivalent of the mainstream hair loss sites. Members are quick to try things, then act as though their “trial” makes them an expert on things. Fact is that the people in that thread were not using it correctly, in fact I think there were a few people in that thread that pointed this out and they were pretty much ignored. Iodine’s usefulness when it comes to scars beats the hell out of anything mentioned on that site, yet the people there will probably continue to use endless worthless products instead. It’s what happens when a site so thoroughly toes the mainstream line.

The problem with using it on facial acne scars, the only one really, is that it’s a cosmetic nightmare. If you have a week and a half where you feel okay looking like a monster, then it would be worth it. Otherwise, it is just not a good idea. Trust me, anywhere you apply Lugol’s will turn ugly, it’s just how it works.

I have had success with pitted scars using dermarolling. There are quite a few threads around on the subject, including a bible of a post over at essential health spa.

EDIT:: One thing I want to mention too, is that using Lugol’s to get rid of scars is a SLOW process. The scars I have used it on were rather close to the surface, and my road rash scar was dosed something like 4 times a day. The real substantial regeneration takes many months, but most of the superficial stuff seems to take much much less time.

IGNORE

cc120

Rank

Total Posts: 4

# 18 ]

March 30, 2012, 10:30 AM

Hi FunkyStumpfighter - is it OK to have hot/warm baths whilst in the process of a Lugols deep regeneration on scar tissue treatment? And will Lugols 7% be effective for this treatment?

IGNORE

hairmore

RankRank

Total Posts: 33

# 19 ]

April 03, 2012, 10:52 PM

So is using a 5% solution the preferred method? I read over FunkyStumpfighter’s posts again and again but didn’t see this.

Here in Australia the mainly sell a 15% solution, which seems to be the original formula by Dr. Lugol (10% Potassium Iodide, 5% Iodine and 85% distilled water).

I can order the 5% solution from the US or just dilute a 15% solution down, just want to clarify if this is really necessary.

(and yes, this is my first post. I shall introduce myself properly in a short while)

IGNORE

cc120

Rank

# 20 ]

April 04, 2012, 01:38 PM

I did think in this post by FunkyStumpFighter was stated 5% solution preferred method, but doesn’t. I might have read it in another thread on same topic by FSF which I cannot find now, perhaps FSF would be kind enough to clarify?

IGNORE

cc120

Rank

# 21 ]

April 06, 2012, 03:18 PM

hairmore, another thread that FSF offers info on the lugol’s treatment that you might find of interest is: ‘Fundementals of Regeneration and Regrowth - Future of Hair restoration’, but doesn’t cover the percent controversy.

IGNORE

zenregen

Rank

Total Posts: 1

# 22 ]

December 11, 2012, 01:23 AM

Hi! I found this thread on using topical Lugol’s and I can only say thanks the enthusiastic and informative stuff about it! I recently bought a bottle of 7% Lugol’s and have just started treating a mole (going easy because of the toxic halide detox thing) but the main reason I write to you is because I want to treat some nasty looking scabies scars on my penis! (and maybe other parts of my body which were affected)

The scars are typical sabies scars (look like lines) that seem to be about 1mm deep and wide each, up to 1cm long. I think they go down to the dermis. They are almost invisible on my hands but quite visible down there! :( ...However your posts have given me hope! and judging by what you say, I should be able to regenerate my skin!

How would you go about treating them in such a delicate/sensitive area? How much and often should I apply? Given the size of each scar I would think that maybe the light regeneration method might work, or do you think deep regeneration would be better suited? Should I just paint as normal with the 7% full strenght? some have suggested mixing it with rosemary oil or something? How can I tell I’m overdosing on iodine if I paint too much? Any reccomendations!? what kind of results can I expect?! How long would it take? please tell me I can heal those scars!

Any advice would be immensely appreciated!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.