hait thinning accelerated 8 months in - pl help!

Share/Bookmark

sonal

Rank

Total Posts: 13

January 21, 2011, 12:39 AM

HI,

I am now into my 8th month of using LLLT and am having some problems, hope you can help -

details - I have been suffering from female pattern baldness for about 10 yrs now, but the after the birth of my son two yrs ago the pace of hair thinning increased. I started LLLT 300+ diodes with the pre-shower topical and twice a day super zix formula, but no minoxidil etc. I use revita shampoo coupled with emu oil and massage with coconut oil once a week, i use LLLT with wet hair.  I am very regular with the regimen and even carried my helmet with me when i travel.

The Problem - since starting my LLLT treatment i noticed a rapid thinning and thought it might be the case of things getting worse before getting better.  When i started out prior to treatment with LLLT, only my close friends who had seen me in bad overhead night lighting knew i was losing hair. Now 8 months in, my hair thinning is much worse, i can see my scalp all the way to the middle of the head right from the temple in a frontal view and in any light and any angle my hair loss is obvious even to strangers as they often come up to offer advice. the hair is so thin all over the LLLT area that it looks like pins standing up. There are a bunch of vellous hairs all over my scalp but i see no new black hair or new vellous hair on the ‘bald hairless’ spots that i have been monitoring closely.

The Diagnosis ? - here is where i need your help. since no other conditions of my health or otherwise have changed, what could i be doing wrong with LLLT since it seems to be working positively for most of you?
i fear it might be the case of the 20 mins 3x a week being overexposure somehow for my skin. I am dark skinned (brown/ Asian) and perhaps my skin and dark hair are absorbing more light than needed? i noticed that the scalp where my laser diodes exist looks sunburned brown like my arms that are exposed to sun, whereas the areas of scalp below and around that region is quite white. not sure if this is significant or if it happens to all of you.

Response - i am planning on cutting down the LLLT to 10 mins 3 x a week else i am going to go completely bald there in a matter of a few months. what are your thoughts? Also i hear the diodes are supposed to be 1.5 inch away from the scalp and the diodes pulsed and rotated over the scalp to avoid overexposure, which are not possible wit the OMG helmet. thoughts?

I have checked testosterone, ferritin and thyroid and everything is in the normal range. im at a loss now and quite depressed since i invested heavily into the LLLT system given no success with other treatments. i have pictures and would be happy to share if you would like to see them privately. being female and all its embarrassing enough to have to deal with this problem in real life and wiould not want to post publicly.

thanks and sorry for the loooong post!

IGNORE

ninja4hire

RankRank

Total Posts: 69

# 1 ]

January 21, 2011, 03:23 AM

It might be a stress and nutrition problem. Try exercise, diet and good rest.  The LLLT works great for me, but I have low stress and exercise a lot.

My Regimen:
400 Diode OMG helmet 20 min x 3 per week, super zix II w caffeine and emu oil 2x day, Regenepure Dr shampoo, pre laser topical (poly 80/acv/olive oil), Scalp exfoliation w/ face scrub.
Internals: n.o. shotgun (for workouts) fish oil omega 3s, DIM

IGNORE

sonal

Rank

# 2 ]

January 22, 2011, 12:38 AM

thanks for the response and sharing your regimen. I have no other health issues, otherwise quite healthy and have a good nutritious diet. I quit work 3 yrs ago and have low stress as well. just bad genetics as far as hair is concerned.

I have noticed that if i exercise - aerobics, weight or otherwise my hair does get adversely affected. i heard womens hair is more sensitive to hormonal changes/ testosterone fluctuations.

OMG or others any ideas what is going on? the hair loss is quite rapid in the LLLT exposed area. for e.g. just 1.5 months ago before i left for my india trip i could see the hair thinning in front in my mirrors at home, now in the same mirrors I see just lots of shiny scalp in those same mirrors! - should i cut down on lllt time or what? ive been regularly doing 20min..

Thx
Sonal

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 3 ]

January 22, 2011, 08:53 PM

Sonai. Nothing works for everyone. Have you considered minoxidil? You could go off the zix and then add the Hair Muck to a bottle of minox and give that a try for a few months.

IGNORE

LegendaryReturn

Rank

Total Posts: 8

# 4 ]

January 23, 2011, 11:52 AM

Hi Sonal

Sorry to see you’re not responding to LLLT.

I think LLLT produces bad results for some of it’s users. Have you ever taken accutane? how’s your liver?
Do you have a folliscope? if not you should consider this:

Folliscope

I think there is a chance that you have excess sebum/fungus/demodex on your scalp

IGNORE

DM5

RankRank

Total Posts: 198

# 5 ]

January 23, 2011, 12:57 PM

Sonal-

I second LegendaryReturn on the sebum issue.  That is why people use homemade clay or scalpure before lasering.. not to mention its ability to exfoliate and pull toxins off the scalp.    In addition,  problems with thyroid or adrenal issues may cause an extended shed.  Doctors tests that measure these things are weak at best.  Supplementing with iodine and maybe ashwaghanda may help your situation.  Coconut, Emu and Polysorbate 80 may make adrenal/thyriod issues worse.  I know excessive coconut oil did in my case.  Alcohol in your preshower topical or Zix maybe givin you some irritation.  Take some of those things out of your rotation and just clay beforehand and note the difference.  The thing is….you have so much going on…its hard to tell what’s causing what.  You need to strip it down to just lasers and clay in my book and note the difference.  Then add things back one at a time until you find your problem or vice versa..  .

“A door within the fire creaks, suddenly flies open and a girl is standing there.  Eyes alight with glowing hair all that fancy paints as fair, she takes her fan and throws it in the Lion’s Den.”

Terrapin Station
The Grateful Dead

Put your lights on
Carlos Santana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEl8OlQlLc&featur;

IGNORE

LegendaryReturn

Rank

# 6 ]

January 24, 2011, 09:29 AM

Hey DM5

“Coconut, Emu and Polysorbate 80 may make adrenal/thyriod issues worse”
Please explain why you say this

IGNORE

DM5

RankRank

# 7 ]

January 24, 2011, 12:49 PM

In my case they did.  I was more lethargic and overall they seemed to take me down.    I noticed much shedding with coconut oil, poly 80 and emu at the same time felt pretty drained.  Others don’t seem to have this problem.

“A door within the fire creaks, suddenly flies open and a girl is standing there.  Eyes alight with glowing hair all that fancy paints as fair, she takes her fan and throws it in the Lion’s Den.”

Terrapin Station
The Grateful Dead

Put your lights on
Carlos Santana

IGNORE

LegendaryReturn

Rank

# 8 ]

January 24, 2011, 04:01 PM

Are you talking about coconut internally or topically?

I cant imagine coconut oil ever being detrimental

IGNORE

DM5

RankRank

# 9 ]

January 24, 2011, 04:40 PM

Both.  I added as a dht blocker to my regimen using 2-4 grams a day and used it topically and it drained me of energy.  Coconut Oil is the best stuff you can cook with and is very healthy, but I found a negative impact past a certain threshhold.  I found the same with Emu and Polysorbate 80.  The point is Sonal needs to remove most everything and start basic and see how that changes her situation.  Where she’s at right now isn’t helping her.  Strip it down and add things back 1 at a time till you are certain whats doing what.

Terrapin Station
The Grateful Dead

Put your lights on
Carlos Santana

IGNORE

sonal

Rank

# 10 ]

January 25, 2011, 01:29 PM

Hey all,

I got some photos to a point where i am ok with posting them, so sharing them with you all, see below.
thanks so much for your input. Ok i am kind of getting a sense of what to do, my plan -

_ getting off the laser treatment for 2 weeks, in case there was overexposure. I think in the equation of time calculation of the 20 min laser regimen, somewhere there should be a way to add capacity of hair /toleration or absorption quotient or something to indicate what the variation could be in time for different color of hair and scalp to abrosb the same amount of light energy.
- anyway, i am currently doing a herbal whole body detox cleanse for what its worth for 14 days followed later by a liver specific detox.
- will get a folliscope to check out my scalp condition
- restarting with lasers at 10 min 3x weekly, just to be cautious and then if things improve at 3 mo, i may add a few mins to see how much my scalp can tolerate.
- use clay as someone mentioned insetad of zix and going to try adding superzix back if improvement is seen after 3 months
- the ashwagandha was a good suggestion and worth trying so will add thast to my diet. otherwise my diet is quite good, nutritious and i am eating home cooked (from scratch) natural and where possible organic food with good qty of fruits and veggies.
- i have purchased lots of bottles of toppik as this helps me get through my day without weird questions from my family, neighbors and strangers and am also looking into some full lace wigs , sigh!
I dont have the money to get a good enough transplant done to cover whats now large surface area, but maybe in a yr or two when they figure out the a-cell stuff some more and its either cheaper or i have savings.

Zix creator - i had some response with minox initially but it produced bad sheds, besides being a woman i only used 2% and it was never as good as the 5% that men use. so i am not so sure i want to go back.

Legendaryreturn-no i have not used accutane. what happens if the folliscope shows sebum or otherwise , are there over the counter medications to help or would a prescription be necessary?  would a dermatologist have this equipment or do i need to buy?

If you dont hear from me sooner, i will give you all an update in April. Btw i pinged OMG, but have not heard back is he out of town or just ignoring me?

Image Attachments  May 2010, before front.jpgMay 2010, Before side view.jpgMay 2010, Before top view.jpg8 mo post LLLT front view.jpg8 months post LLLT top view.jpg8mo post LLLT front view.jpg

IGNORE

sonal

Rank

# 11 ]

January 25, 2011, 01:33 PM

Btw to be clear, the photos on the top are those from before lasering i.e. about May 2010. The ones below give you and idea of what has happened to my hair post laser, 8 mo into the treatment.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.