Compiled list of must have supplements

Share/Bookmark

sonal

Rank

Total Posts: 13

January 22, 2011, 01:04 AM

I am not currently eating any hair specific supplements and thats one area i want to improve to hopefully control the rapid thinning.

I dont see a compiled list/post of must-have supplements for hair loss, but many of you have posted earlier with a variety of items that i am compiling below. can you rank these and add what you think are a must?

having 25 different items is probably not sustainable unless immortal hair or someone has a combined supplement. but even if you can point out the top 10 i will get those. and pl also list sources -where to buy- to get the supplements.

- Beta-Carotene (10,000 IU daily)
-Saw Palmetto (1,350 mg daily)
-B-Complex 50 (1 capsule daily)
-Super Biotin (5,000 mcg daily)
-B-6 (50 mg daily)
-Active-C (500mg with Bioflavonoids daily)
-Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc ( 3 capsules daily, 1,500 mg, 750 mg, and 45 mg respectively)
-Flax Seed Oil (3 capsules daily, 1,000 mg eachwith Omega 3, 6 and 9)
-Taurine (500 mg daily)
-Potassium Gluconate 99 (99 mg daily)
- D3
- Vit K
- probiotic
- Krill oil
lipoic acid
- ecklonia cava
-ashwagandha

btw I thought immortalhair had supplements specifically for some of the above and for womens hair loss, if so pl point me to that as well.

thanks a lot!
Sonal

IGNORE

teaman

Rank

Total Posts: 15

# 1 ]

January 22, 2011, 11:45 AM

http://www.immortalhair.org/mycurrentregimen.htm

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 2 ]

January 22, 2011, 07:41 PM

Just some quick comments:

I would not take Saw Palmetto.  Take the Curcumin + Resveratrol combo instead.

I would never take calcium in a supplement because that can lead to forming bad calcium deposits in your joints.  Only get calcium from your diet and eat foods that maximizes your uptake.  Weight bearing exercise works wonders for your body to absorb dietary calcium.

On a regular basis, I would not take more than 50mg of zinc a day. 

N-A-C is a must have in my book.  The best thing for fibrosis that I found.  Simply amazing stuff!

COQ10 is also a must have.

Anything good for skin and joints is usually good for hair:
So my joints/hair/skin must haves are: MSM, Biosil, Hyaluronic Acid, Glucosamine HCL
(My right knee used to be functional but permanently effed up from a torn meniscus, now there is no pain and it feels perfect)

MACA is a must have.

RLA plus ALC is must have.

To address micro-circulation in the scalp:
Must haves are: Ginkgo Biloba and Bilberry

I don’t think a top six or even a top ten will cut it for hair loss.  Maybe once you have halted it and got some modest regrowth then you might be able cut down to top 6 or 10 for maintenance.  Imo, you have to attack all angles as aggressively as possible while maintaining a healthy balance.  The 30 month window is unfortunately very real, so time is of the essence.

And the number one must have is: Cash, and lot of it!

IGNORE

scottyc33

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 141

# 3 ]

January 29, 2011, 02:15 AM

Lapwing - January 22, 2011, 07:41 PM

Just some quick comments:

I would not take Saw Palmetto.  Take the Curcumin + Resveratrol combo instead.

I would never take calcium in a supplement because that can lead to forming bad calcium deposits in your joints.  Only get calcium from your diet and eat foods that maximizes your uptake.  Weight bearing exercise works wonders for your body to absorb dietary calcium.

On a regular basis, I would not take more than 50mg of zinc a day. 

N-A-C is a must have in my book.  The best thing for fibrosis that I found.  Simply amazing stuff!

COQ10 is also a must have.

Anything good for skin and joints is usually good for hair:
So my joints/hair/skin must haves are: MSM, Biosil, Hyaluronic Acid, Glucosamine HCL
(My right knee used to be functional but permanently effed up from a torn meniscus, now there is no pain and it feels perfect)

MACA is a must have.

RLA plus ALC is must have.

To address micro-circulation in the scalp:
Must haves are: Ginkgo Biloba and Bilberry

I don’t think a top six or even a top ten will cut it for hair loss.  Maybe once you have halted it and got some modest regrowth then you might be able cut down to top 6 or 10 for maintenance.  Imo, you have to attack all angles as aggressively as possible while maintaining a healthy balance.  The 30 month window is unfortunately very real, so time is of the essence.

And the number one must have is: Cash, and lot of it!

Good post - I agree with most of it.

I dont know if MSM / Glucosamine are “must haves”. I tried them and they did nothing for me.

Cissus actually cured a bad case of tennis elbow for me where high dose MSM/Gluc/Chondroitin did not.

Biosil is pricey - so cost / benefit analysis should be done there.

I do take HA.

IGNORE

scottyc33

RankRank

Editor

# 4 ]

January 29, 2011, 02:17 AM

sonal - January 22, 2011, 01:04 AM

I am not currently eating any hair specific supplements and thats one area i want to improve to hopefully control the rapid thinning.

I dont see a compiled list/post of must-have supplements for hair loss, but many of you have posted earlier with a variety of items that i am compiling below. can you rank these and add what you think are a must?

having 25 different items is probably not sustainable unless immortal hair or someone has a combined supplement. but even if you can point out the top 10 i will get those. and pl also list sources -where to buy- to get the supplements.

-B-6 (50 mg daily)
-Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc ( 3 capsules daily, 1,500 mg, 750 mg, and 45 mg respectively)
-Taurine (500 mg daily)
- D3
- Vit K
- probiotic
- Krill oil
lipoic acid
- ecklonia cava
-ashwagandha

btw I thought immortalhair had supplements specifically for some of the above and for womens hair loss, if so pl point me to that as well.

thanks a lot!
Sonal

The immortal hair supps can be found here:

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/natural-hair-regrowth-f1/immortal-hair-supplement-line-now-available-pricing-information-t4310.htm

IGNORE

scottyc33

RankRank

Editor

# 5 ]

January 29, 2011, 02:36 AM

sonal - January 22, 2011, 01:04 AM

-B-6 (50 mg daily)
-Taurine (500 mg daily)
- D3
- Vit K
- probiotic
- Krill oil
lipoic acid
- ecklonia cava
-ashwagandha

thanks a lot!
Sonal

Here is my two cents - this is what I take (in what I believe is relative order of importance) :

Resveratrol / Curcumin (source - Immortal Hair Antioxidant Boost)
R-ALA (source - Immortal Hair)
Krill Oil (source - Immortal Hair)
Probiotic (source - Iherb)
Ecklonia Cava (source - Immortal Hair)
Decalcify (Magnesium, two forms of Vitamin K, Boron) (source - Immortal Hair)
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (check out Bestvite - very cheap there)
Ashwaghanda (source - Iherb)
Opti-Zinc (source - Iherb)

I would replace Flax oil with this:

http://www.iherb.com/Bluebonnet-Nutrition-Multi-EFA-s-90-Softgels/9610?at=0

I would dump the Synthetic B vitamins and take Brewer’s yeast.

Vitamin C and Taurine are ok, but if you were looking to save loot, I think you could cut these.

Saw Palmetto, Beta Carotene and Biotin I dont think are necessary but others may disagree with me.

Calcium I wouldnt take.

Vitamin D - I would try to get from sun, but supplementation during winter months (depending on where you live) makes sense.

Ashwaghanda -

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Ashwagandha-120-Veggie-Caps/3302?at=0

Probiotic - I rotate these:

http://www.iherb.com/Culturelle-Culturelle-Probiotic-30-Veggie-Caps/7797?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Saccharomyces-Boulardii-MOS-90-Veggie-Caps/372?at=0

OptiZinc -

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-L-OptiZinc-30-mg-100-Capsules/738?at=0

ALC -

http://www.bestvite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=96

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 6 ]

January 31, 2011, 06:15 PM

scottyc33,

What kind of glucosamine did you take?  Glucosamine HCL is so much better than glucosamine sulfate.  Night and day difference for me.  The problem with MSM is you have to take a lot for to be any good, which I don’t like.  You have to take at least 5 grams(more like 10g) a day to see/feel results. 

If you take R-ALA you should take biotin, imo.  Since I started supplementing in the winter months with Vit D3 at 4000 iu, I never get sick.  If I take less or none I tend to get sick at least once during the winter months.  So half of the year now I take 4000 iu Vit D3, and 6000 mg of Vit C. 

Do you like Ashwaghanda?  What do you feel it has done for you?  I have been tempted to try it, but since I am doing so many supplements already I am hesitant to add anything else to my regimen at the moment.

IGNORE

scottyc33

RankRank

Editor

# 7 ]

February 01, 2011, 06:04 PM

Lapwing - January 31, 2011, 06:15 PM

scottyc33,

What kind of glucosamine did you take?  Glucosamine HCL is so much better than glucosamine sulfate.  Night and day difference for me.  The problem with MSM is you have to take a lot for to be any good, which I don’t like.  You have to take at least 5 grams(more like 10g) a day to see/feel results. 

If you take R-ALA you should take biotin, imo.  Since I started supplementing in the winter months with Vit D3 at 4000 iu, I never get sick.  If I take less or none I tend to get sick at least once during the winter months.  So half of the year now I take 4000 iu Vit D3, and 6000 mg of Vit C. 

Do you like Ashwaghanda?  What do you feel it has done for you?  I have been tempted to try it, but since I am doing so many supplements already I am hesitant to add anything else to my regimen at the moment.

I tried different products, but this was the last product I took before I gave up on Glucosamine:

http://www.iherb.com/Schiff-Move-Free-Advanced-Plus-1500-mg-MSM-120-Coated-Tablets/9477?at=0

Cissus really worked my tennis elbow, so I am sold on it.

There was some debate about whether Biotin was NECESSARY with ALA - I don’t think it can hurt.

D3 is a tricky one - I completely agree about getting sick - I took 5000 IU a day for two years and did not get sick once in that time! Then a few months ago I decided to buy a tanning bed and drop the oral D3. There was a claim on the other forum that people don’t get sick when taking oral D3 because oral D3 is an immunosuppressant, and that long term this is a very BAD thing, as it can allow pathogens to proliferate in the body.

Anyway, I stopped taking oral D3 at the end of October (and started tanning 2-3x a week) and last month, I had the worst cold I have had in years. Normally I get over a cold in a few days, but this cold kicked my ass for a week.

I can’t say I have noticed anything specific on Ashwaghanda - I like that it is cheap and is supposed to help with cortisol.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 8 ]

February 02, 2011, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the info on Ashwaghanda.  That looks like the right kind of Glucosamine.  My joint combo seems to work for me.  I may have to try Cissus out, next time I get an injury.  Since I am playing hoops again that won’t be too long I am afraid.

Biotin is cheap and supposedly good for hair anyway so I take it to be on the safe side.

I read some of that debate on D3 over at IH’s.  It is little scary, but proof should be coming out soon one way or the other since D3 usage is so widespread now.  I do know I don’t get sick if I take 4000 IU of D3; and I do know I get sun damage if I get exposed to UV radiation.  Still I will try to get D3 from the sun a lot during the summer months.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.