A Hair-Raising Discovery: New Compound Regrows Hair

Share/Bookmark

DM5

RankRank

Total Posts: 198

February 16, 2011, 10:58 PM

A Hair-Raising Discovery: New Compound Regrows Hair
Feb 16, 2011 | 5:01 PM ET | By Amanda Chan, MyHealthNewsDaily Staff Writer

If you stress out so much that your hair falls out, there could be hope for you — researchers have developed a compound that induces hair growth in mice by blocking a stress hormone, a new study has found.

Researchers found that mice engineered to overproduce a certain stress hormone were born bald, but grew back their hair when they were given a shot of the chemical compound astressin-B. When researchers gave the mice one shot a day for five days, their hair regrowth lasted four months, according to the study.
Epigenetic Drug DiscoveryNew Radiolabeled Assay Available Gold Standard for HTS & Profilingwww.ReactionBiology.com
Brazilian Blowout Special25% off call today. Late nite hair salon. Open 7 Days..www.BelezaCoutureStudio.com
Drug Treatment For AttorneysIntegrated Holistic & Cutting Edge Unique Rehab. Exceptional Success.PassagesMalibu.com
Ads by Google

If the compound can be developed into a safe treatment for humans, it could be an option for men and women with hair loss, said Dr. Jerry E. Cooley, president of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, who was not involved with the study.

“Most of us who specialize in treating patients with hair loss suspect that stress can play a role, and this is just scientific confirmation that stress creates hormonal changes that can promote hair loss,” Cooley told MyHealthNewsDaily.

The study was published online today (Feb. 16) in the journal PLoS One.

Accidental hair growth

The California researchers stumbled on the hair regrowth finding on accident. They set out to study how astressin-B worked in the gastrointestinal tracts of bald mice engineered to overproduce the stress hormone called corticotrophin-releasing factor (CRF).

But a single injection didn’t seem to make a difference in the mice’s intestines, so they continued the injections for five more days. Then, they put the bald mice back in their cages with hairy mice that didn’t overproduce the stress hormone.

Three months later, when the researchers went back to see how the compound had affected the mice’s intestines, they were unable to tell the stress-hormone mice from the regular mice because the bald mice had regrown all their hair.

The researchers then also tried treating the mice with human anti-balding drug minoxidil, which resulted in just mild hair growth, the study said.

The role of stress in hair loss

Not all hair loss is caused by stress. In fact, the majority of hair loss is a result of hormones, called pattern hair loss, or androgenetic alopecia. For example, men with male pattern hair loss have a genetic sensitivity to the hormone dihydrotestosterone, Cooley said. The drug finasteride (Propecia) works by blocking dihydrotestosterone.

But dermatologists see different kinds of hair loss, and stress is certainly a common contributing factor, he said.

Current hair-loss treatments include medication and surgery. Finasteride and minoxidil work by stopping hair loss, but they only have limited success in regrowing hair. Surgery can help replace lost hair, but it must be done in addition to drugs that combat hair loss, Cooley said.

But if the mouse compound is developed for human use in the future, it could be a promising option as well, he said.

“We don’t necessarily look for medication to block stress receptors, but it would be interesting to see if this might be an additional help,” Cooley said.

Researchers hope to be able to test the compound in humans over the next two to three years.

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/new-compound-regrows-hair-1179/

“A door within the fire creaks, suddenly flies open and a girl is standing there.  Eyes alight with glowing hair all that fancy paints as fair, she takes her fan and throws it in the Lion’s Den.”

Terrapin Station
The Grateful Dead

Put your lights on
Carlos Santana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEl8OlQlLc&featur;

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 1 ]

February 19, 2011, 07:23 PM

DM5…great post! You’ve just given me some more evidence for an article I’m writing. I’m calling it S.A.A.B. (Stress accelerated androgenic balding). I’ll make sure to credit you for your finding!

In my experience people who have S.A.A.B NEVER REGROW ANY HAIR! In short nothing will work if we don’t calm down first regarding our hair loss.

IGNORE

Nidhogge

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 510

# 2 ]

March 01, 2011, 03:55 PM

I agree with Zix, and this IS a great article.  However, one natural alternative is phosphatidylserine at 600mg a day.  It’s not cheap, but I recommend EndoAmp by PrimordialPerformance.  It’s the only form out there that doesn’t heat it to some temperature that destroys some of the benefits of PS, and naturally lowers cortisol levels in your body significantly with no side-effects.

IGNORE

Mastery

RankRank

Total Posts: 234

# 3 ]

March 03, 2011, 12:49 AM

EFT or EMDR all help, from a vibrational point of view.

I like where Prague’s thinking is going, i.e. beyond the molecules.

M

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 4 ]

March 03, 2011, 01:09 AM

Beyond the molecules?  Isn’t that were Charlie Sheen lives now with his vibrational goddesses…

If Prague is honest, then I think he is an atypical responder to stuff.  He regrows hair by smoking gitane cigarettes and contemplating french cinema.  I don’t think his stuff will work as well for most of us, but I do take maca thanks to him and he was one my early hair loss heroes.  Now I am jaded and have none except maybe OMG. 

IGNORE

DM5

RankRank

Total Posts: 198

# 5 ]

March 03, 2011, 03:44 PM

For the Stress aspect, I have used Ashwaghanda(as well as for adrenals) and Taurine.  But recently have been exploring meditation as a means and have since quit the Taurine.  There are many strategies that can be used to address this angle, those are just mine.   

Charlie Sheen….LOL.  He’s got intense focus and quick wit because he’s still using cocaine(yeah he was using in those interviews).  That’s were the “Tiger’s blood” is coming from.  I don’t see how people are that blind.  He and the Media have perverted just about everything that crosses their path.  If you want to help him…...acknowledge his problem and then move on…...don’t keep calling him out and pissing him off,  then give him a soapbox(all those interviews) to preach his drug influenced prevert take of things.  I honestly don’t know who’s worse in this.  But, the media is a huge enabler here and its just another example of how screwed up things are.  They encourage, highlight and put focus on this instead of ignoring it and making it go away.  Those interviews were embarrasing and a prime example of how toxic drugs can really screw people up.  But I guess in his mind he’s still….....“Winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“A door within the fire creaks, suddenly flies open and a girl is standing there.  Eyes alight with glowing hair all that fancy paints as fair, she takes her fan and throws it in the Lion’s Den.”

Terrapin Station
The Grateful Dead

Put your lights on
Carlos Santana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEl8OlQlLc&featur;

IGNORE

B Martin

Rank

Total Posts: 4

# 6 ]

October 11, 2011, 01:19 AM

Nidhogge - March 01, 2011, 03:55 PM

I agree with Zix, and this IS a great article.  However, one natural alternative is phosphatidylserine at 600mg a day.  It’s not cheap, but I recommend EndoAmp by PrimordialPerformance.  It’s the only form out there that doesn’t heat it to some temperature that destroys some of the benefits of PS, and naturally lowers cortisol levels in your body significantly with no side-effects.

I came across the same idea as you and took it a step further. PS has a molecular weight small enough to allow transdermal delivery and so I combined it with DMSO. And also some allantoin to soften the scar tissue around the follicles. There are some side effects though, mostly related to the gallbladder.

So far I am a couple months into my 9 month trial but I am definitely seeing results. Just thought i’d share.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 7 ]

October 11, 2011, 01:54 AM

B Martin,

What results are you seeing?  Two months is pretty early to see results. 

I thought some company just put out a product with astressin-B.  I was waiting to hear how people are doing on that before jumping on that band wagon.

IGNORE

B Martin

Rank

# 8 ]

October 11, 2011, 02:27 AM

Lapwing,

Yea I think DS labs is putting out an astressin-b product. You can check out my pics on my blog. I started a progress journel to document myself.

http://homehairgrow.blogspot.com/

!Admins - I am not selling anything. So don’t ban me.

IGNORE

B Martin

Rank

# 9 ]

October 11, 2011, 02:31 AM

Let me know what you think.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 10 ]

October 11, 2011, 08:21 PM

B. Martin,

I did not see much difference.  I looked pretty close.  If I have to look closer then it can’t be that much of a change yet.  But hey you probably can tell best.  Angle, lighting, humidity, shampoo etc can all make a big difference in a photo or the mirror for that matter.  I just don’t trust photos.

It is a good idea to track your progress.  I recommend you get your NW rated by a doctor now and then get it rated again a year later and see if you get an objective reduction in NW rating.  I would believe that more than photos.

IGNORE

B Martin

Rank

# 11 ]

January 09, 2012, 05:33 PM

Lapwing, check out my latest pics from december 31st.

http://homehairgrow.blogspot.com/

IGNORE

Charly

Rank

Total Posts: 14

# 12 ]

January 27, 2012, 09:43 PM

it seems like there is definitely a bit of regrowth. What does every body else think?

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 13 ]

January 27, 2012, 10:39 PM

B Martin,

I missed this post earlier.  It looks like you might have some regrowth.  Good luck!  It is good you are quitting smoking.  I think smoking is very bad for the hair in the long run.

IGNORE

Charly

Rank

# 14 ]

January 27, 2012, 10:45 PM

Completely agree…smoking affects the microvascular system which is what supports hair follicles.

IGNORE

Charly

Rank

# 15 ]

January 27, 2012, 10:45 PM

Completely agree…smoking affects the microvascular system which is what supports hair follicles.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.