Reconstructing Xandrox 15, now that it’s gone

Share/Bookmark

wds

Rank

Total Posts: 2

March 25, 2011, 11:23 AM

R.I.P. Xandrox 15 ... Resting In Peace on my head was the best place. What I will especially miss is its outstanding thickening ability. I’m certain this is due to the ethyl alcohol/glycerin ingredients. Would anyone know where to purchase these? (along with the 15% minox. and azelaic acid, of course). A homemade concoction probably won’t be as effective, but I can’t imagine it being as expensive as Dr. Lee’s ...
At least I’ve got the distilled water part covered ...
  Thanks for any help!

—wds

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 1 ]

March 25, 2011, 11:33 AM

Obviously the “15% minox” part would be tough to do because we aren’t pharmacists and it’s a controlled substance, but what you’re saying is that you really liked the CARRIER, right?

Ethyl alcohol is in any Walgreens or Eckard’s -the isopropyl outnumbers it 20 to 1, but it’s there!  I know Joe the Zix Creator experiments with glycerin quite a bit, so he can tell you where to get that.

I think Joe’s “minomuck” -his topical additive to standard minox- has both ethyl alcohol and glycerin, although I could be wrong.  I also think that he was toying with the idea of making an azelaic acid additive for minox as well.  So, MAYBE, just maybe, the wheel has already been invented here!

I think it’s a great idea, though, to make something that has all the OTHER things (other than the 15% minox) that people like about Xandrox 15 that you can add to minox -and maybe even it’d be better with the DHT blockers that are in it.

I’ll notify Joe about this thread because this is right up his alley.

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 2 ]

March 25, 2011, 12:25 PM

Yea John it really is “right up my alley”. This is going to be a long post. Get ready.

OK wds first regarding 15% minox…..it’s ridiculous. We already have studies showing that 2% minox is about 2/3’s as effective as the 5% stuff. So more is probably not better. The max dosage for benefit for minox is probably around 4 to 4.5%. After that….you’re wasting your money and you risk systemic side effects. Minox is a nasty drug with a lot of side effects when you get too much in your body.

Secondly no one including Dr Lee has ever adequately explained why you just can’t rub the 5% minox on your scalp three times in a row. I’m not recommending this but it would amount to the same damn thing. I was just looking on ebay the other day and you can purchase Kirkland’s 5% minox for around $4 a bottle! That’s damn cheap.

AA is easy to add to minox and it dissolves well at concentrations up to 5%. All you need do is buy the technical grade AA flakes and add the correct amount to a fresh bottle of minox and presto a few hours later it will dissolve. But here again 5% AA I believe to be complete overkill. Even 2.5% is probably overkill. Keep in mind there are warnings on AA to stay out of the sun if you’re using it. So I would stick with no more than 2.5%. Anyway if you need a supplier for the AA flakes just let me know and I’ll send you a link. You can get like a 5 year supply for around $40.

I also have people who add my Hair Muck to minox to which they have already added AA flakes. Been doing this for years and they report decent results and never any systemic type side effects. Plus there’s an added bonus. Because your monthly cost for your topical is so low you have a much better chance of remaining compliant and sticking with the routine for years and years. Hair Muck contains saw palmetto and beta sitosterol which I extract myself so I know the quality of the ingredients are up to par. Also it contains some glycerin that is wonderful for your scalp and that combined with a small amount of corn oil really takes away most of the scalp problems associated with applying standard minoxidil.

Not everyone loves minox with Hair Muck added….but almost everyone loves it. And here again if there is something about how your topical makes your hair look and feel we can always modify the formula a bit to suit your preference. All you need do is email me.

In my humble opinion, you don’t need Dr Lee.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 3 ]

March 25, 2011, 01:06 PM

Just to correct one thing before we go on:

Secondly no one including Dr Lee has ever adequately explained why you just can’t rub the 5% minox on your scalp three times in a row.

Rubbing 5% minox on your head 20 times in a row would NOT be 100% minoxidil!  So, it is different in that regard.

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 4 ]

March 25, 2011, 01:26 PM

I don’t quite understand what you are saying John. Suppose the first solution contains “x” mgs per ml. The second contains “3x” mgs per ml. Whether you use 3 mls of the first solution or 1 ml of the second solution you would still receive the same mgs of the medicine. The more times you apply 5% minoxidil the more mgs of minox you’re putting on your scalp.

So if you want to put the same amount of mgs of minox on your scalp as DR Lee’s 15% stuff you would have to apply 3 times more of the 5% stuff.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 5 ]

March 25, 2011, 01:35 PM

That’s not how that works, though. Let’s take something I know a lot about. Using 1 session of laser therapy at 20 minutes has a much different effect than using laser therapy 20 times at 1 minute.

Different strengths of different compounds have different reactions -it’s not just addition.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 6 ]

March 25, 2011, 01:43 PM

Another example:  My concentrated “Odo-Ban” has several different ways you can mix it. You mix it with a 1/20 ratio and it’s a great air freshener.  You mix it 1/3 it’s a fantastic pet odor remover.

I could spray that 1/20 mixture all day, and it’s not going to get rid of pet odor off of the carpet.

I could spray it unmixed/full strength, and it’d eventually begin to bleach my carpet.

It’s not simple addition.

With the “2% minox is 2/3rds as effective as 5% minox” factoid, I highly doubt that using 2% minox 2.5 times more would give you the same results as 5%.

Anyway, I don’t care so I don’t want to focus on that part of it - and I’m certainly not saying 15% minox is more effective. I just don’t think that one part you were saying is accurate.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 7 ]

March 25, 2011, 02:11 PM

Well that’s why I said no one including Dr Lee has ever been able to explain that to me. I’m also not the only one that has asked that question. To me if you did a test on the tissue concentration of minoxidil in both scenarios they would end up being the same.

IGNORE

wds

Rank

Total Posts: 2

# 8 ]

March 25, 2011, 02:56 PM

Joe Zix & OMG, thanks for pointing the way on this! ... Now that I know 15% minox is overkill I would be happy to shake up my own witches’ brew with 5% plus the ethyl alc. and the AA flakes ... Joe, I’m ready to e-mail you at your convenience to work on an AA order, all I need is your address ... If minomuck/hairmuck can be tweaked to Xandrox specs, I’m all ears!
  Hope to talk again soon!
Thanks again
—-wds

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 9 ]

March 25, 2011, 03:32 PM

Hi Wds. OK you can get your AA flakes here:

http://fludan.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=65&sort=2a&page=4

It’s in Canada so shipping will be higher but this is where I send everyone and I haven’t gotten any complaints so far.

You just need to add 5 mls or 5 cc’s of flakes to approximate a 2.5% solution. If you want to add Hair Muck do that after you dissolve the AA. If you get the Hair Muck it will come with a measuring cup which you can also use for measuring out the AA flakes. You ususally have to give the AA several hours to fully dissolve.

My site is here on how to make Minomuck which is a glorified way of saying this is how much Hair Muck you add to a bottle of minoxidil.

http://www.qdbd.com/hair_formulas_8.htm

OH….don’t laugh at the quality of my web building skills! I just updated it and it used to look even worse! If you have any questions email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Don’t PM me because I just can seem to get into the habit of checking that thing near as often as I should.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 10 ]

March 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

Oh…check out the prices of minox on ebay. Stick with the Kirkland brand because that is a familiar brand in the hair loss world. It’s also very cheap. You can also get a generic minox at Walmart that’s fine but you’ll pay a bit more.

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

Total Posts: 246

# 11 ]

March 26, 2011, 09:03 AM

I always thought that 5% minox meant 5 % of the total concentration for whatever is in the bottle, right?

so along those lines, 15% means 15% of the total concentration for whatever is in the bottle….so 100% would mean the whole thing is minox.

I work with data all the time and percentages are always misleading.  If you talk about the amount of minox in milligrams, then zix is correct in saying you’re getting the same amount by using more.  Three applications would mean three times the amount of minox.  But that doesn’t mean that it would be 15%. It would just be three times the amount that’s in the 5%  You’d also be getting 3 times the amount of everything else, so the percentages wouldn’t change.

Tried a lot of things, never stuck with anything. Don’t do that

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 12 ]

March 26, 2011, 09:22 AM

Hi MJ. Well the point is no one has ever been able to explain this to my satisfaction but it’s sort of irrelevant anyway because the data suggests that 5% is the upper limit for effectiveness anyway. Furthermore there has never been a single study that I am aware of demonstrating that 15% minox is any better than the 5% stuff.

It’s kind of a tiny point of contention here that really dosn’t matter much one way or the other in my opinion. Whether you use 15% minox or rub the 5% stuff in your scalp three times in a row it won’t work any better in my opinion then one single application of 5% minox.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.