“Natural” anti-inflammatory creams

Share/Bookmark

I-Head

Rank

Total Posts: 19

March 26, 2011, 01:51 AM

Going through the forums recently and reading about the emphasis on supplements that aim to reduce inflammation, of one form or another, it occurred to me that the ointment I had been using to massage my aching limbs after a big spout of training or related muscular injuries could very well be a useful treatment against MPB.

Firstly, let me say that I have no medical/medicinal experience to start claiming any fantastic results, or the “next big thing” etc. I haven’t used the ointment as an alternative to my current regime before this writing. 

If you find any flaw in my writings, please say so. That’s what this forum is for.

For the purposes of the discussion, I will not name the ointment but am happy to list and discuss the ingredients (as listed on the bottle).

My interest is more the idea of the possible use of the ointment and the feedback from the forum.

What brought on these thoughts was the following:

- The use of those supplements in the I.H. range and their purpose of enhancing the immune system, reducing inflammation, increasing blood-flow, etc.;
- The use of LLLT and its purpose of reducing inflammation and increasing blood flow to the scalp, etc.;
- The theories on the mechanics of hair loss; and
- The plethora of other alternate supplements and therapies that reduce inflammation and/or increase blood flow to the scalp that can be found throughout the forums on this website.

What I realized from the above was that in fact, my natural sports anti-inflammatory cream had ingredients, which supported all of the above.

The main ingredients and a brief description of their benefits are as follows:

- Deionized water: used for its purity

- Seaweed Colloids: its mineral content contains those that are required for your body’s physiological functions.

- St John’s Wart Oil: antiseptic, antiviral and astringent.

- Arnica Oil: ability to counteract inflammation. (Not to be used on broken skin)

- Witch Hazel: Preliminary studies suggest that witch hazel strengthens veins and offers anti-inflammatory effects and is useful in relieving such skin conditions.

- Menthol: rubbed directly on the skin can help relieve muscle aches and cramps, sprains, skin irritations, and headaches. 

- Clove Oil: The oil is used for treating a variety of health disorders including toothaches, indigestion, cough, asthma, headache, and stress and blood impurities. Clove Oil can increase your body’s metabolism by increasing blood circulation.

Other supporting ingredients used to stablise/support/preserve the above are:
- Junlon;
- Triethanolamine;
- Sorbate Mon Laurate; and
- Bronopol.

Further to the above, there would be a huge amount of similar creams and ointments etc that would be readily available to any consumer. I can think of many deriving from Asia alone.

So, putting it forward, I believe it would be beneficial to use the ointment as a periodical (weekly, bi-weekly, etc.) scalp massage.  Your (my) normal regime would follow.

Cheers!

I-Head

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 1 ]

March 26, 2011, 09:41 AM

You should try it, and you should mention the name of it because believe me… lots of us have seen most everything tried under the sun! Lol…  Some people here might have already done it.

While we are talking about this, I thought I’d bring up SNAIL SLIME of all things to the list of natural anti-inflammatories!  It’s for skin care -and I think it’s claim is that it promotes self-healing because the snail is the only thing that constantly regenerates and repairs it’s own skin or something.  That’s not really important.  What’s important was that it did work.

I’d have to do some research to dig up the brands we used, etc., but many of us used this several years back. In fact, I want to say that this was literally only a couple of months before I built my first laser helmet in Dec. 2007, so that was the time when I still had that “mpb burn”. 

The drawback?  It was expensive as hell -like $65 for a container that you would have to really “work” to make it last a month. So, not many of us kept with it after our first dabble with it.  I, for one, can’t stand living in a world where you have to work really hard to make a product last because of affordability!  Lol… 

Anyway, just like you’re talking about, it was great to massage it in!

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

I-Head

Rank

# 2 ]

March 26, 2011, 10:23 AM

Fair call, it’s called “All Black ‘N Blue”, see the link below.

http://www.nemidon.com.au/index.html

i get it from my osteopath for AUD$20 per 120 grams. i think if you wanted to use it for your head, depending on how long (and how much) your hair is, it would last a a good month and a half at the very least. So reasonably priced.

Snail Slime… hmmm… no thanks LoL.

IGNORE

FunkyStumpfighter

RankRank

Total Posts: 64

# 3 ]

March 26, 2011, 02:22 PM

I would bet that stuff is kelp bioferment based, which you can buy in rather large quantities on Bulk Actives. I can’t speak to any of the other ingredients, but sea kelp bioferment is absolutely incredible when it comes to moisturizing. I add it to my home made shampoo mixes, and man, it is absolutely the best thing in there as far as making my hair look and feel really good. Can’t recommend the stuff enough.

Also, snail slime is one of those things that I feel would have great benefit on the scalp. I have used it on my face with great success, better than any microdermabrasion system I’ve used, and much simpler to apply than anything I can think of. I made one monster of a post earlier in the year about the potential benefits of using iodine on the scalp for its ability to induce peeling and regeneration, and I fully stand by all I’ve said on that, but snail slime does come a close second to iodine in my book as far as regeneration and general healing goes.

The problem is that you can find the pure stuff made by only 2 brands, to my knowledge. The one I purchased came in 1oz bottles at about 25 bean a pop, and has other chemical ingredients that you may or may not want to use on the scalp (though I’m sure its no worse than many of the traditional hair/scalp care topicals out there). There is also a pair of sites run by the same company (Andes Chic being one of them, can’t remember the second) that offer an all organic pure snail slime in sizes up to 4oz for something like 40-80 bean a pop. The problem there is that they are notorious for being somewhat shady, with slow as fuck shipping times and generally shitty customer service. I am thinking about giving them a shot when my taxes come in, but I’m definitely apprehensive.

I’m going on 25, and have only been in this hair loss game for maybe 3 years now, but I firmly believe that regeneration of the scalp skin could be the one big step many don’t think of taking before they start really battling their baldness (or fight the stump, as it were). Whether it’s using something like Scalp Skin Lady’s enzyme kits, topical iodine for the more hardcore, snail slime, or the colloidal/nano silver/copper mixes people like act

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 4 ]

March 26, 2011, 08:33 PM

Ah!  Found it!  Here is the snail slime that I used: http://bioskincare.com/

bioskincare-bottle.jpg

RESTORES THE NATURAL SKIN REPAIR PROCESS

1.- INDUCES THE PROLIFERATION OF FIBROBLASTS and reconstitutes the optimal functional capability of prematurely senescent fibroblasts.

2.- FACILITATES THE RECONSTRUCTION OF THE SKIN’S ARCHITECTURE through its action on COLLAGEN FIBERS

3.- HELPS TO REDUCE THE INFLAMMATORY EFFECT caused by denatured proteins in injured and aging skin through its collagenase and gelatinase enzymatic activity

4.- INCLUDES A BALANCED MIXTURE OF NATURAL FACTORS THAT HELP RECOVER THE NORMAL PHYSIOLOGY OF THE SKIN

...and yeah, it’s 70 clams for a fiddy gram container, which you could stretch out to a couple of months probably -but that’s not very fun.

Good stuff, though!

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 5 ]

March 26, 2011, 08:38 PM

FunkyStumpfighter - March 26, 2011, 02:22 PM

I’m going on 25, and have only been in this hair loss game for maybe 3 years now, but I firmly believe that regeneration of the scalp skin could be the one big step many don’t think of taking before they start really battling their baldness (or fight the stump, as it were). Whether it’s using something like Scalp Skin Lady’s enzyme kits, topical iodine for the more hardcore, snail slime, or the colloidal/nano silver/copper mixes people like act-react have been researching, regeneration seems like something that could only stand to magnify the effects of whatever else youre using. I still think you’d have to coax the skin into producing regrowth during regeneration to see regrowth, but I could certainly be wrong about that.

I think that is RIGHT ON THE MONEY.  I think this is one reason why some people take much longer to have laser therapy success than others.  It’s GOTTA BE something, and this makes sense.

I still don’t have an excuse for getting elbow deep into scalp skin lady’s treatments yet.  I’ll have to start that soon.

-O.M.G.

IGNORE

I-Head

Rank

# 6 ]

March 26, 2011, 09:48 PM

Thank you Gentlemen!

I tell you what, i was almost starting to give up on the whole battle just the other week… Revisiting this site has restored my drive, thanks!

I just had a brief look into Scalp Skin Lady’s treatments. Looks good!

Without changing the angle of the topic, my issue is that i’ve been pretty successful at dramatically reducing, at one point almost to a stand still, my receding hairline. However, i have two “triangles” on either side of my hairline that have defused that i’m trying to get a hold of and improve on… i have heaps of vellus hairs, i can feel the little fuckers, but i can’t see them, and its been a royal pain in the arse/ass to try and get anything to work on them (it doesn’t help that i’m blonde lol).

Without getting into much more detail, i do agree with the “regeneration” of the scalp to improve my (our) condition.

i will start using this ointment topically and report back to the forum on how it all goes.

That being said, what would your thoughts be on application and how many times i should use it?

Just FYI, the directions indicate using it up to 6 times per day for muscular injuries. i don’t think this is necessary. i think at least 2-3 times per week and at most 7, coupled with your normal regime.

i don’t see how it would be a problem if i mixed in my hair-signals with it.

it’d be good to have some advice from someone with natural/herbal treatment experience.

IGNORE

J87

RankRank

Total Posts: 75

# 7 ]

March 27, 2011, 09:18 PM

So far the best thing I’ve tried topically for inflammation is l-lysine and iodide. I very rarely get scalp inflammation anymore, but when I do it will eliminate itching completely after a few minutes. I bought an $8 snail gel on amazon called Gel De Caracol, not sure how much worse it is than expensive ones like bioskincare, but so far it seems to be working well enough for my eczema.

IGNORE

yanks1

RankRank

Total Posts: 39

# 8 ]

March 31, 2011, 11:47 AM

J87, whats the significance of l-lysine? How does it work? Iodine seems to work well for me too, but it seems to create a sebum build up (or more likely just dead skin) too so I don’t know if I’m benefiting from it or not. It could be a good thing actually. Do you experience this?

I think MSM would work well too. That in an aloe base maybe. I’ve tried it in the past and I think it helped but not sure anymore.

IGNORE

FunkyStumpfighter

RankRank

Total Posts: 64

# 9 ]

March 31, 2011, 05:57 PM

@yanks - The iodine will cause you to shed the top layer of skin as long as its applied, so that’s to be expected. I don’t know about using it as just a daily topical though, only because it will just cause skin to shed off constantly. Other than that, my love for the stuff is pretty public.

Also, I never had much luck with aloe as a base. It always seemed to curd up way too quickly and nothing I mixed into it ever seemed to want to stay consistent. Sea kelp bioferment is a much much better base, Bulk Actives has it fairly cheap for something like 8oz.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.