Co Q 10 Supplementation

Share/Bookmark

neutron

RankRank

Total Posts: 140

April 10, 2011, 06:13 PM

Hello All.

Recently I’ve been really interested in adding co Q 10 to my supplements.  I never considered it in the past due to the high price of this supplement.  However, today I found it on sale at my food market for $3 (30 pills) in the super market brand.  I know this is not the highest quality, however I figured it might help.  The tablets say to take 3 30 mg tablets per day.  I’ve been doing some research and it seems that 30 mgs daily is the proper dosage for my age group (30).  Does anyone know if this is correct. My other concern is that due to the low price the quality is lacking.  I saw more name brands for $18 for that amount of tablets/dosage.  Anyone know about co q 10 supplementaion.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 1 ]

April 11, 2011, 02:07 AM

CoQ10 can be hard to absorb.  I think the cheaper brands don’t address this absorption issue and that is why they are cheaper.  So you probably aren’t saving money by buying the cheaper brands.  The real cost is absorbable coq10 per dollar.  If you figure that in you will probably see you aren’t saving money since you are getting a much less effective dose.

I buy mostly from Iherb in bulk for several months at time and save a lot of money that way on my supplements.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 2 ]

April 11, 2011, 07:14 AM

Lapwing…

How much are you taking daily?

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 3 ]

April 11, 2011, 12:18 PM

I take probably more than I need.  I take about 100-300 mg per day, Jarrows Qsorb I believe.  It helps with your gums too.  Now that I don’t eat sugar or white bread and I take Coq10 I don’t have any teeth or gum issues.  What I like about CoQ10 is that is one of those supplements that you can actually tell that it does work.  It suppose to be healthy for the heart too and therefore of course indirectly should help with hair and scalp health.

IGNORE

jads

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

# 4 ]

April 12, 2011, 03:07 AM

I take the Jarrow Ubiquinol ‘absorb’ as well.  As you get older you need the type that absorbs more readily. i.e. Ubiquinol.

Coq10 is one of Dr Mercola’s top 3 supps.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 5 ]

April 12, 2011, 06:51 PM

Jads…What dosage do you take?

Thanks.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 6 ]

April 12, 2011, 11:44 PM

Hey Neutron,

For dosing, go check out Jarrows bottles.  They give a graph of how much you will absorb over baseline for a given dose.  That should give you an idea of what kind of dose you need.  You can adjust down the dose say a half for your age.  I think that would be a reasonable approach.

On a side note, I was out of town at my brother’s house this weekend.  I was there almost exactly a year ago.  I got to see my hair in the same mirrors and lighting a year later.  My hair looked much better than last year, ie, more coverage.  It is good to see.  Gradual change can be so hard to see and notice at home.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 7 ]

April 13, 2011, 07:18 AM

Lapwing…sounds good.  I’m also looking for that “gradual” change.  I have diffuse thinning and know Ill never get back to where I once was.  However, Im going for overall hair health and thickness.  Increasing the thickness of my scalp hairs would make a tremendous difference.

IGNORE

dj_davo

Rank

Total Posts: 6

# 8 ]

April 13, 2011, 07:47 AM

I’m 38 and have been taking Q10 for around 2 years.  I use Holland and Barrett’s 120mg once a day, or 30mg 4 times a day - depends which is on offer at the time!  I’ll probably double this dosage when I hit 40, as Dr Mercola often suggests.

The reduced form is more bioavailable and more expensive.  Holland and Barrett’s doesn’t appear to be the reduced form, but does claim superior patented bioavailability.

I don’t know if it helps with hair loss, it doesn’t seem to with me, but as an insurance aid for a boat load of health conditions, I’m gonna stick with it for life.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 9 ]

April 19, 2011, 06:32 PM

Hello Guys,

I noticed Iherb carries alot of good supplements at very reasonable prices. 

Lapwing,

Jarrows co q 10 seems very cheap.  I noticed their biotin supplement is a third of the cost of GNC’s.  What co q 10 supplement would you recommend?  What is the difference between the regular version and Qsorb?

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.