Supplement Observation

Share/Bookmark

neutron

RankRank

Total Posts: 140

April 16, 2011, 11:38 AM

Hello guys,

I wanted to bring light to an interesting point regarding most vitamins/ supplements.  A few days ago my partner at work put another co workers vitamins in vinegar.  The idea was to prove to him how little of his vitamins were being absorbed.  Essentially, a whole day passed and very little of the vitamin had broken down.  I recently started the super six supplement line advocated on this website.  One main point I noticed is that these supplements are all in capsule form.  I’m wondering if this was done intentially as the product is already in powder form within the capsule.  Did you guys do this with the intention of maximizing absorbtion? 

Thanks.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 1 ]

April 16, 2011, 01:31 PM

How good of test is that really?  The pH of Vinegar is about 2.5 while the pH of Gastric Juices is about 1.0.  That is a fairly big difference, i.e., gastric juices are significantly more acidic than vinegar.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 2 ]

April 16, 2011, 04:00 PM

I was kinda wondering about that.  I guess your point is that are digestive fluids are stronger than the vinegar used in this case.  However, I really just wanted to speak to the capsules used for the supplements alot of us are using.  I wanted to see if the idea behind using capsules was to enhance absorption.

Ps.  I was at the drug store and saw natures bounty Co q 10 had a buy one get 1 free sale.  I believe they had 150 Mgs for $37 (60 capsules).  Obviously the free bottle drives the overall cost down quite a bit.  Im thinking of giving their brand a try since I can get 4 months worth relatively cheap.  I really like the idea of using this supplement for hairloss.

IGNORE

Nidhogge

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 510

# 3 ]

April 18, 2011, 05:42 PM

neutron—

We intentionally used microcrystalline cellulose, which is a vegetarian-friendly way of encapsulating, and very easily broken down so that the powder reaches the gut.  If you would like, you can slosh the pills around in your mouth and drench them with saliva, and you’ll notice that they start to break down right in your mouth.  Very easily assimilated.

Conversely, everything except the Stabilized R-Lipoic Acid and Krill Oil, can be broken down and put in water, or a blender, and so forth.  :D

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 4 ]

April 18, 2011, 08:26 PM

Hi Neutron. Keep in mind the PH scale is somewhat deceptive. Something with a PH of 2 is roughly ten times more acidic than something with a PH of 3. That said there is a huge difference between the acidity of the human stomach and the acidity of vinegar.

Absorption is a problem but we can compensate for this. Of more concern is that the body frequently adapts to a nutritional substance. Here’s and example of what I’m talking about. I remember my early days in the 70’s it was very popular to take mega doses of vitamin C. Some people were taking 5-10 grams a day. Yet they warned about abruptly stopping such a high dose. Doing this could result in a person getting scurvy…...which was the very thing people would get that were deficient in vitamin C. Yet scurvy was so rare in the modern world because almost no one receives so low a dose of vitamin C from a normal diet. To me that is an example of the body adapting to Vitamin C.

A personal example was the use of magnesium for reducing my blood pressure. After a few weeks of supplementation, it worked…..but gradually over time it no longer had the same effect.

Another example was my experiment with Niacin. At first only a small dose would give me what’s known as a “niacin flush”. But over time this gradually went away. So does that mean the niacin isn’t as beneficial as when I first started taking it? I don’t know.

Here’s another example off the top of my head. It’s all the rage for people to take a small amount of aspirin daily to prevent heart attacks and certain types of stroke due to it’s blood thinning properties. Yet I recently saw a study demonstrating this only tends to work for a few months and then it’s benefit wears off. Yet another blood thinner….coumadin does not wear off over time.

Some things the body adapts to and some thing it doesn’t. Furthermore to complicate matters everyone’s physiology is different.

I’ve even found my body adjusts to fiber. When I first started taking fiber supplements I was always in the bathroom. Over time though the same dose no longer did the same thing.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 5 ]

April 19, 2011, 06:36 PM

Zix,

Do you currently use a supplement regimen?  Maybe altering dosages over time would help a bit.  It is kinda like working out where if you do the same thing over and over you stop progressing.  You have to switch the routine up via intensity, sets, reps exercises.  Your post almost makes it sound like the whole idea of supplementation is pointless in the end.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 6 ]

April 19, 2011, 09:59 PM

neutron,

You are way over analyzing this stuff.  Just like working out, the real key is to keep pushing more poundage each month.  It is very taxing on your mind to push your body to keep working harder.  All that routine switching is more for your mind and not your body, imo.

Zix’s point I think is that super supplementation flats out.  It will still benefit you, but only so much.  The key to supplementation is to get a healthy balance.  Soil depletion, aging process, and lack of perfect diet can be helped greatly by supplementation.  So it is not pointless.  This is not rocket science. 

It is best to supplement wisely.  Find out the right dose for you (age, gender, weight, lifestyle, family history), when to take, what are their absorption issues, do supps counter other supps such as you shouldn’t take zinc and copper at the same time, etc etc.  Get some books, read posts at IH’s site, do web searches.

Along with supplementation you need good old fashion exercise, good diet and sleep.  All of these are equally important.  Seek a healthy balance and not some superman status.  Good luck!

You can’t nuke back your hair.  Over-doing anything will not get you there faster, and it may start to work against you.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 7 ]

April 20, 2011, 03:54 AM

Hi Neutron. Yea I agree with everything that lapwing said. I would also add that you need to be a bit of your own scientist. Everyone is different. Supplements can work differently according to the individual. But yes I still take supplements.

Here’s an example of me being a bit of a scientist regarding my own health routine. I am a jogger. I am constantly told how jogging doesn’t do you much good and it destroys your joints and back. I am constantly told that walking is better. All these things can be justified by research and scientific studies.
I am also told that i should do interval sprints instead of just jogging. I am told it’s ten times better than jogging. So i give it a try…..guess what….after 2 weeks I do feel significantly better. After 4 weeks I feel even better. After 6 weeks I’m no longer jogging at all!

So what happened? What happened is that I made exercise so miserable that I couldn’t bring myself to do it anymore. So am I better of taking a leisurely jog, or do nothing at all for exercise? So I gave the wind sprints up and am back to my leisurely jog. After 12 years of jogging my knees back and feet are better than they were before i started. I’ve also found that walking made my joints and back hurt more. I’ve concluded that walking fast is not a natural motion for my body but jogging slow is. That’s why a slow jog is better for me than a fast walk!

Here’s another one. The whole world was telling everyone 5 years ago to take fish oil or Omega 3 type supplements. So I did. After about a month I developed almost a flu like syndrome. My joints were aching and I felt very tired all the time. The only thing I could attribute it to that had changed was i started taking fish oil. So I stopped and within about a month the symptoms went away.

I found it hard to believe that fish oil supplements could do something like this. So I started again and the same thing started to happen around the one month mark. So I stopped and the symptoms again subsided. 4 times I have tried this and all 4 times the same thing happened.

Who would have ever thought that fish oil can cause such side effects? Then about a year ago a drug company came out with their own super concentrated form of fish oil. I was watching the commercial and guess what? The side effects they listed were the very same things I had experienced from taking fish oil!

I haven’t completely given up on fish oil though. I may try it again someday but this time I will try it at a much lower dose.

The point is our health is a “work in progress” and that everyone has to do their own due diligence and “customize” their own routine. This is a great place to get some good ideas but you still have to figure what works the best for you.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 8 ]

April 26, 2011, 02:22 AM

Tonight I got two compliments on my hair!  It so nice to hear.  I use to get compliments all the time on my hair before hair loss.  Anyway it so encouraging.  Don’t give up the fight.  It is frustrating only to get modest regrowth, but still it makes a huge difference when compared to the alternative of continual hair loss.  And apparently on good hair days my hair can still look good.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 9 ]

April 26, 2011, 10:57 PM

Lapwing…I couldnt agree with you more.  The way I view things, if my hair looks better next year than this year Im winning.  I have diffuse thinning so small improvements are actually quite big for me. 

By the way I just added Puritan’s vitamin E toco and also there Co q 10 equinol 50mgs.  The cool thing is that many of the supplements recommended on this site have positive benefits for overall health.  I have heart disease and diabetes in my family so learning about these supplement has been great.  On a side note, the people in my family that suffer from heart disease/diabetes tend to be the same people with hairloss.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.