A Curious Zix Concern

Share/Bookmark

SAMAEL

Rank

Total Posts: 8

April 23, 2011, 01:18 PM

Hello WHL forum, first post here. I’ve been a fan of Hairmuck for some time now, using it in a mixture of half cheap minoxidil and half Dr. Lee’s Xandrox. With the FDA clampdown on Dr. Lee’s pharmaceutical line I’m considering trying Super Zix II. Aside from a concern that it might not work as well for me as minoxidil, I hesitate for one other reason. Hopefully this reason is as ridiculous as it might sound and someone can assuage my fears. My concern is about the zinc in Zix and any potential it might have to damage olfactory sensation. It might be recalled that certain Zicam cold remedy products, containing zinc, were pulled from the shelves and banned a few years ago because some people were inhaling it through the nose and damaging their sense of smell. If I remember correctly this was done accidentally with some sort of nasal swab. I’m guessing that particular product used zinc acetate or maybe even zinc gluconate. I notice that zix calls for zinc sulfate (a little less than a quarter of which is elemental zinc, the zix creator points out on his website). In any case, no one is going to snort zix up their nose, obviously, however, everyone has probably seen someone ruffle their hair or scratch their head in dawn or dusk sunlight and seen thousands of little particulates float off into the air. If we were to suppose someone went a few days without showering, all the while applying Zix twice a day, and then if they had a restless night sleep tossing and turning, one could imagine a fair amount of dander, skin flakes, and presumably zix residue being inhaled through the nose. This could also maybe happen just vigorously combing hair or even fluffing a pillow, etc. So my question is, could the zinc in zix potentially adhere to those olfactory tissues and have an adverse effect? Thanks.

Laser Messiah, Minomuck, Spironolactone, DMSO/lithium shampoo, Pygeum, Pumpkin seed extract (non-oil), many supplements

IGNORE

Luke

Rank

Total Posts: 15

# 1 ]

December 05, 2011, 11:25 AM

I’ll admit it, I’m a hypochondriac! but i just started using super zix and this is really bugging me.  Just wondering if Joe or any zix users have anything to add that could calm my nerves? Lol I am the number one candidate for stress related hair loss!

IGNORE

Luke

Rank

# 2 ]

December 06, 2011, 02:31 AM

I guess its too late too stop now anyway haha, I just had a bit of a gnarly (yes i just used that word raspberry) shed in the shower.  I also noticed that there was nearly zero scalp tenderness,  i usually notice how tender my scalp is when washing my hair.  So no tenderness + shed = im very optimistic

IGNORE

SAMAEL

Rank

Total Posts: 8

# 3 ]

December 06, 2011, 03:23 AM

Fun to think about, isn’t it? It looks like the guys at immortalhair are about to introduce a new topical. Maybe it will provide an alternative to those concerned with/not responding well to zinc. I’m still a big fan of hairmuck and assume everyone ought to use it or zix every day. 

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t6574-rejuveplex-new-topical-from-nidhogge-immortal?highlight=topical

Laser Messiah, Minomuck, Spironolactone, DMSO/lithium shampoo, Pygeum, Pumpkin seed extract (non-oil), many supplements

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 4 ]

December 06, 2011, 07:45 PM

Hi Samael

It’s been said that anything at the right dose can be toxic. Even things essential for life. For example drinking too much water can kill you. It has happened when people have entered into water drinking contests. Oxygen can be toxic if one constantly hyperventilates. People on ventilators can die if the settings are wrong and too much oxygen is delivered to their body.

Then there are things we think are toxic when in reality they are only toxic at the right dose. Cyanide for example is one of them. Our bodies actually need a very tiny amount of it to live. However I wouldn’t recommend taking too much of it!

Now concerning zix. Keep in mind we are talking about using 50mgs of zinc topically over the course of an entire month. I know people that take this much internally every single day. So in a single day we would have approximately 1/30 of that dose on our scalps…....but if you think about it, a lot of this has been absorbed in the skin….so you’re probably looking at 1/60 of this is on our scalp…..but if you think about it, virtually none of it is being absorbed through your nose because the other ingredients (the oily stuff in the Hair Muck) are keeping it from getting airborne and being inhaled.

We also have many major corporations using zinc in shampoos, diaper creams and sun screens for decades. No one is losing their sense of smell that I’m aware of.  If they were, I’m sure we would have seen a class action law suit by now.

Finally I live about 30 miles from an area that for decades was heavily engaged in the mining of zinc…...it’s sad….they completely ruined the landscape of those beautiful appalachian mountains. There is still zinc dust in the air. I’ve never read about a single complaint or lawsuit because people living there lost their sense of smell or had any other health problems related to that.

So I personally think your fears are unfounded. Just my humble opinion.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 5 ]

December 06, 2011, 07:50 PM

Hi Luke. In my experience the fact that your scalp is feeling good is a very good sign. Stick with it.

IGNORE

Luke

Rank

# 6 ]

December 07, 2011, 04:23 AM

thanks for the reply joe, what your saying is true, i fergot how diluted it actually is, one capsule per month! I mean i could probably snort that and nothing would happen! haha

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.