anyone had any experience with nicotine replacement causing hairloss?

Share/Bookmark

lmao

RankRank

Total Posts: 57

May 14, 2011, 09:54 PM

im the past nicotine gum has seemed to accelerate my hairloss.

and i can’t find any good information.  hairloss is listed by some sites as a side effect of nicotine replacement, but its only in that generic list, of common side effects that includes almost everything, and seems to be the same for any drug.  so i really dont know if its true.

all the forum and blogging type information out there is usually someone complaining about hairlos from nicotine, followed by a barrage of people saying stupid stuff like:

- ’ i know plenty of non-smokers who are bald, so therefore it must be something else like hormones that causes it)’

- ‘my grandad was a heavy smoker, and is 90 and has a full head of hair, so nicotine cant cause hairloss’.

yet these type responses are total bs for so many reasons.

i’m saying i have experienced an increase in hairloss related or unrelated to mpb, at the same time as going onto nicotine replacement, and lots of other people seem to have experienced this as well.

just because i use nicotine, and get hairloss doesnt mean theyre related, but at the same time when one factor increases at the same time as the other factor, it seems likely they r related.

so i don’t know. to smoke or to use nicotine replacement therapy? that is the question.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 1 ]

May 15, 2011, 03:38 PM

Your question is wrong.  You should instead drop nicotine all together in any form.  Cigarettes in general in the long run will lead to increased hair loss.  Smoking is great for stress in the short run.  So I would suggest learning something new to cope with stress such as yoga or working out in general. 

Everyone knows that one exception to the rule, but almost every smoker after 20 years of smoking, looks like hell from skin collagen depletion, has ruined their lungs, has a permanent hacking cough in the morning (from killing the cilia in their lungs), is on the way to advanced cardiovascular disease due to hemoglobin latching onto co instead o2 etc etc.  Oh yeah and there lung, throat, and mouth cancer to worry about as well, and throw in pancreatic cancer as well.  This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Addiction is a bitch, but you can beat it and take back your life.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 2 ]

May 16, 2011, 12:23 AM

I just found this quote linking nicotine with dht:

From a hormonal perspective, nicotine is attractive to male athletes because it can lower estrogen levels by competitively inhibiting the aromatase enzyme (48-52). Also beneficial might be the observation that in dogs, nicotine inhibits 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, preventing metabolism of DHT to a less potent androgen (53). While theoretically, this would allow one to gain increased benefits from DHT, it might also potentiate DHT’s negative effects on the prostate and hairline.

So it ain’t just the cigarettes.  I think nicotine in any form should be considered off limits for people with hair loss.   

IGNORE

lmao

RankRank

Total Posts: 57

# 3 ]

May 16, 2011, 01:06 AM

Firstly thanks for the replys, i always take the advice from people on forums seriously, but particularly on this forum, because without sounding to offensive to others on other forums, i feel that there is a higher level of knowledge with most of the people here.  so thanks.

having said that, i’m not going to sit here and debate how bad smoking is for us, because we know putting any type of smoke in ur lungs will have adverse effects.

but i’m questioning which is theoretically worse for hairloss.

1. the ~5 thin hand rolled cigarettes, which i think have less ADDED chemicals (not the naturally occurring carcinogens released when burning), than taylor made cigarettes, (which have many chemicals such as formalihyde added for better burning, to be more addictive, for taste etc)

OR 2.  the nicotine lozenges which i seem to be getting addcited to and increasing currently 10 ~ 15
x 2mg nicotine.

i’m inclined to think its the nicotine, because its probably in higher concentrations than in rollies.  However nicotine is a neurotransmitter in the body.  We have receptors for it in synapses between axons of nerves and ajacent cells, we also have nicotine in our bodies, so i feel a certain amount of it must be ok.

For the record im still off my ~5 rollies a day, and addicted to nicotine replacement, and i intend to stay that way, apart from the odd small cigar.  I am happy knowing my cilia are regenerating, and i am avoiding COPD (emphysema etc), theres no doubt i will be better off.

i agree smoking causes throat and mouth cancer, and pancreatic cancer, im not sure i believe theres a strong relationship between lung cancer and smoking.  Yes i agree lots of heavy smokers will get it, but so will alot of non smokers, and people exposed to asbestos and various chemcials in the lungs, and not to mention all the polution.  In fact, we r lead to believe that 9/10 lung cancers is caused by smoking, i highly doubt this. 

Dr Oz on TV said only 5/10 are related to smoking, and probably almost 50% of the population smoke.  So although its against the status quo, i have my doubts.  I happen to think its more likely a genetic predisposition, + a environmental trigger situation like so many other things.  So that heavy smoker who gets lung cancer, might have got it no matter wat, just from a lifetime of moderate polution.

it can lower estrogen levels by competitively inhibiting the aromatase enzyme (48-52)

this would be a good thing would it not? doesnt high estrogen = a strong contributing factor for mpb?

in dogs, nicotine inhibits 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, preventing metabolism of DHT to a less potent androgen (53). While theoretically, this would allow one to gain increased benefits from DHT, it might also potentiate DHT’s negative effects on the prostate and hairline.

This is a worry.  but i seem to get shedding from nicotine, wouldnt this effect be recession of the hairline?  Apart from agressive mpb, ive never really associated shedding with mpb, i never see many hairs fall out, but i continue to miniturize.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.