does perming cause hair loss?

Share/Bookmark

WinterHeart

RankRank

Total Posts: 81

June 10, 2011, 02:41 AM

Hey guys,

I’ve been on the helmet for a year now and I’ve had fantastic results. I don’t shed anymore, except for a few hairs now and then, I guess like people who don’t have MPB.

This has given me the confidence to let my hair become long again. However, when long, it’s kind of curly if I leave it alone, but I prefer it straight. So I need to dry it for a long time after taking a shower, while brushing it in a specific way. And even then, it doesn’t always look the way I want, so that’s kind of annoying.

So I’m thinking of getting a perm to make it more straight, but I was afraid of whether it could be bad for the hair follicles or the skin of the scalp, and cause my shedding to return.

I’ve heard that it smells kind of toxic, so I’m wondering if it’s something I’d really want to put on my head. I’ve also heard that it was “bad for your hair” but I don’t know if that relates to the follicles or the actual hairs.
If it only damages the hair, I don’t really care, because I doubt that would show. It’s the skin and the pores I care about. Honestly, stuff that supposedly “damages hair” often makes it look nicer (like drying it, or lots of exposure to strong sunlight). But if the follicles are damaged, that’s another story entirely.

Anyone has any experience or good knowledge with that?

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 1 ]

June 10, 2011, 07:48 PM

I heard it can be bad for the hair, ie, cause more hair loss.  Funny, most thinning hair people want to perm there hair the other way and put more curl in for more coverage.  I’ve seen several guys do that and it seems like it always accelerated their hair loss, but I don’t know for sure.

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

Total Posts: 81

# 2 ]

June 12, 2011, 04:29 AM

Ah well thanks for the advice, I guess I’ll stick to the drier for now!
I suppose if I had a lot of recession I’d want to make it more curly, but in my case, my frontal hair line is the equivalent of Norwood 2 (or maybe not even that), and that’s the only place where I was receeding.
So as long as it’s long enough, it doesn’t even show (and now that I stopped shedding I don’t even worry about it anymore.)

IGNORE

LEGACY2010

RankRank

Total Posts: 30

# 3 ]

June 13, 2011, 11:44 AM

I can definately say YES!! Well if you don’t do it right. This is from experience with using them. Go to a “PRO” if your going to do it. I’ve over colored and over straightened over relaxed and it’s not pretty. I do think if not used properly can cause hair loss. But if over used will cause your hair to thin out. I’ve learned from a year of bad abuse to my hair it actually can erode the hair itself. So word of wise be carefull and seek a pro. My hair does still grow all over but is has been damaged in some spots more than others so I’m now a beginner of LLLT to try to thinken my hair.
Hope this helps!!

IGNORE

Scalp Skin Lady

RankRank

Total Posts: 63

# 4 ]

August 21, 2011, 10:50 AM

Legacy is right.  If you perm you CANNOT use any color formulation with greater than 20vol developer and stay away from any bleach.  I’ve been a licensed Cosmetologist for 30 years and specialized in color, color correction, perms and relaxers. 

Perming your hair shouldn’t effect the follicle since it grows from a sack within the dermis.  The perm really only effects the top layer of the scalp and the hair that has grown beyond that point.  Yes, perms can burn the skin to the point of damaging the follicle, but by that point the integrity of hair is most likely at the point of breaking.  If you have no experience, have a recommended professional do the work.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.