Sebum control with Coenzyme-A

Share/Bookmark

jads

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

June 18, 2011, 04:18 AM

Reading the article below, seems quite interesting the links between excess sebum, acne and mpb.  While the theories discussed have been around for a while, it does make interesting reading indeed.

Does supplementing with large amounts of B5 have the effect of reducing sebum and\or DHT on the scalp, hence helping to control hair loss as well as reduce acne?

When an acne lesion is formed, there is in the epithelial cell of the hair follicle an accumulation of lipids, leaving the epithelial cells bulky and the lumen of the gland narrowed. When there is a concomitant increase in sebum flow, the follicle has no choice but to hypertrophy to accommodate the changes, resulting in an enlarged skin pore and coarse skin. With the administration of pantothenic acid, the whole process is reversed. Lipid metabolism becomes normal and efficient. The epithelium is no longer laden with fat droplets, there is a decrease in sebum excretion, the hypertrophy process is not required. The skin pores revert to a much smaller size and the skin becomes smooth and fine.

http://www.coenzyme-a.com/acne_vulgaris.html

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 1 ]

June 18, 2011, 01:01 PM

Unfortunately large doses of B5, which does work against acne, can cause your hair to fall out.  There many anecdotal stories of guys losing their hair by megadosing with B5 as a side effect when treating their acne.  I am not sure why, but I think it causes imbalances which can lead to hair loss. 

Pantethine the active form of B5 seems less toxic and since it is the form you want in this case then you don’t have to megadose.  I am currently taking pantethine now for the last few months.  I am not sure if it has done anything positive or negative for my hair yet.  I am still weighing it, maybe in few more months I will have a better idea.  It does control my sebum.  My skin overall seems better, less oily, but it wasn’t that bad to begin with.  Scalp hair, uncertain at the moment.

IGNORE

jads

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

# 2 ]

June 20, 2011, 09:56 PM

Yes, I have seen some anecdotal reports as well. Most of what I have seen discusses accutane use causing some problems as opposed to B5.

As you say, any mega dose, depending firmly on the individual, could cause a shed.  Had a terrible time with excess sebum for a while but under control now and taking approx 2g of B5 a day.

Another discussion in one hair loss ebook I have read talks about the fact that as the liver becomes more and more impaired due to toxicity and age-related problems, the excess sex hormones (DHT) are recirculated into the blood stream for expulsion through the skin pores as opposed to through the bowels as they should be with a normal (young) healthy liver. This makes some sense to me and also ties in with a lot of other treatment plans that include cleaning up your liver to slow the hair loss process.

If there are correlations between sebum and DHT, this perhaps explains why DHT affected hair follicles are also laden with excess sebum.  I can also back this up by looking at my scalp under a scope - the affected hair follicles were the sebum-laden ones!

Still the relationship between these two still seems a bit like a chicken an egg scenario to me?  Feel free to enlighten me someone please? smile

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.