Right at the Edge for a Cure to Hair Re-growth and Re-pigmentation

Share/Bookmark

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

June 25, 2011, 01:36 AM

It is just matter of time now, years that is, not decades. 

June 14, 2011

Findings Also Offer Insight into Human Tissue Regeneration

A new study by researchers at NYU Langone Medical Center has shown that, for the first time, Wnt signaling, already known to control many biological processes, between hair follicles and melanocyte stem cells can dictate hair pigmentation.  The study was published in the June 11, 2011 issue of the journal Cell.

The research was led by Mayumi Ito, PhD, assistant professor in the Ronald O. Pereleman Department of Dermatology at NYU Langone. “We have known for decades that hair follicle stem cells and pigment-producing melanocycte cells collaborate to produce colored hair, but the underlying reasons were unknown,” said Dr. Ito. “We discovered Wnt signaling is essential for coordinated actions of these two stem cell lineages and critical for hair pigmentation.” The study suggests the manipulation of Wnt signaling may be a novel strategy for targeting pigmentation such as graying hair. The research study also illustrates a model for tissue regeneration.

“The human body has many types of stem cells that have the potential to regenerate other organs,” said Dr. Ito. “The methods behind communication between stem cells of hair and color during hair replacement may give us important clues to regenerate complex organs containing many different types of cells.”

Using genetic mouse models, researchers were able to examine how Wnt signaling pathways enabled both hair follicle stem cells and melanocyte stem cells to work together to generate hair growth and produce hair color. Research also showed the depletion (or inhibition or abnormal) Wnt signaling in hair follicle stem cells not only inhibits hair re-growth but also prevents melanocytes stem cell activation required for producing hair color. The lack of Wnt activation in melanocyte stem cells leads to depigmented or gray hair.

The study raises the possibility that Wnt signaling is a key pathway for the regulation of melanocyte stem cells and shows how melanocyte behavior is associated with hair regeneration. This insight provides further understanding of diseases in which melanocytes are either appropriately lost such as hair graying or undergo uncontrolled cell growth as in melanoma.

IGNORE

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 108

# 1 ]

June 25, 2011, 04:56 PM

I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 2 ]

August 10, 2011, 08:51 PM

Hi lapwing. It seems like stuff always ends up taking 10 times longer than it should. There is no reason why we haven’t yet put a man on mars. But here we are more than 40 years after putting a man on the moon and we haven’t been back there since.

This has been my personal experience with everything medical. It takes a lot longer than it should. I hope I’m wrong and you’re right though!

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 3 ]

August 11, 2011, 05:10 PM

Zix,

Sadly I think you are right.  I got so enthusiastic after reading that article, but now I feel we may be back to the decades waiting list again.  They will probably have all these great cures by the time I am 80 and it won’t mean that much to me by then or be as effective. 

With the world-wide economic woes I don’t think we will ever send a man to Mars in the foreseeable future.  It is hard and very expensive to shield against cosmic radiation for long space journeys.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 4 ]

August 16, 2011, 08:21 PM

Hi Lapwing. Yea going to Mars is a lot harder to do than most people think. Radiation is a problem. Unless they figure out a way to shield for this an astronaut would be dead by the time he reached mars!

IGNORE

Scalp Skin Lady

RankRank

Total Posts: 63

# 5 ]

August 21, 2011, 09:52 AM

I have to agree with lapwing.  And let’s not forget big Pharma.  You grease the right palms and things get set back or misplaced.  The medical institutions might be in trouble but Pharma is forever.  They do NOT want a permanent solution to hair loss.  There’s just too much money to be made.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.