13 Months on LLLT and Questions About Stress

Share/Bookmark

SolitaireCloneInX

RankRank

Total Posts: 56

July 19, 2011, 12:18 AM

I’ve just about reached my 13th month on LLLT, and while I initially saw some improvement in hair quality, I feel that in the past 4-5 months I’ve kind of backslid. I’ve been shedding a ridiculous amount on a daily basis for about 5 months now, and my front hairline/temples which were in decent condition are now starting to thin noticeably. But I don’t think that LLLT is causing the massive thinning/shedding, and was wondering if stress could have a big influence on it.

To give a little background, in the past 8 months several stressful things have happened: I lost my grandfather to cancer, my childhood dog had to be put to sleep, I started working an increasingly stressful job, my car stopped working, I’ve had to move twice, and then just last month I went through a terrible breakup after a 5 year relationship. Now I’ve heard that abnormal stress could accelerate hair loss, and if that’s so is there anything I should do to help counter this and get back on track?

I believe in the science of LLLT and am hoping that this is not a huge setback on my path to regrow my hair. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, I’ve been noticing a big increase in sebum on the scalp. Any suggestions on reducing sebum? Thanks in advance!

Some days you just can’t get rid of a bomb!

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 1 ]

July 19, 2011, 01:20 AM

Stress on your level definitely can cause hair loss.  That is way too much stuff to handle at one time.  The good thing is if you deal with controlling the stress you should get back your pre-stress hair.  I would go to IH’s site, and see what he recommends explicitly for stress.  As any thing the golden trio of good sleep, diet, and exercise will help immensely.  Do yoga, write in a journal.  If you can try not to back-slide from the breakup.  Do positive things like workout, sports, music.  Don’t over drink etc.  Get a new hobby that is yours.  Just think you most likely dodged a bullet.

For sebum, I suggest pantethine around 900mg a day.  And oddly enough an oil topical.  I am going to add hemp seed oil myself, which is suppose to be good for sebum and plus it boosts your ceramide levels in your scalp.  A good oil mix is coconut oil, almond oil, tea tree oil, plus hemp seed oil (my new mix).  Just lightly massage the oil in your scalp, leave on for 15 minutes to an hour and then shampoo out.

IGNORE

jads

RankRank

Total Posts: 50

# 2 ]

July 19, 2011, 06:34 AM

SolitaireCloneInX - July 19, 2011, 12:18 AM

I’ve just about reached my 13th month on LLLT, and while I initially saw some improvement in hair quality, I feel that in the past 4-5 months I’ve kind of backslid.

I am at a similar time frame with LLLT and kind of agree with this. I believe the science is solid but perhaps I am not a great responder or it’s just going to take a lot, lot longer to show results.

The hair I have is healthier looking and darker (much darker) than before and generally it looks pretty good, but new growth is taking its time!  Unfortunately the diffuse look of the top and my hairline is still there.

I had expected some better growth progress by now :( 

IGNORE

gcdante

RankRank

Total Posts: 26

# 3 ]

July 19, 2011, 10:27 AM

You know, every time people talk about stress I want to ask them what their mile time is and how often (and heavy) they lift.  Keeping muscles in peak shape and keeping the blood flowing through exercise are two of the best ways to ameliorate the effects of stress on the human body.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 4 ]

July 21, 2011, 03:38 PM

Hey, Guys!

Long time no see!  I’m sorry about being absent, but I’d like to note this as my return.  In a nutshell, the Laser Babe is now pregnant with the Spawn of OverMachoGrande!  We’re only a few weeks away from being able to tell the sex -and if it’s a boy and if it has MY hair instead of HER hair (which her hair is awesome, so let’s cross our fingers for that), then someone talk me out of slapping a laser helmet on his head right in the delivery room! wink

Ok, I’m not the authority on stress, except that I know that it’s probably one of THE TOP CONTRIBUTORS to hair loss, and other than a complete lifestyle change (or working out like gcdante says), it’s not something that you can do anything about unless you take supplements designed to combat it -and I don’t even think they’re in the top six or the Ortho-Nutrition product line.  So, I’ll get Immortal to go into that.

Now, what I do want to talk about is shedding, and what I did about it.  As some of you know, I was really sick for a long time this year because of a bad, bad experiment with heavy metal detoxification.  Seriously, it went wrong and I was laid up for a couple of months, and I’ve never felt so bad in my life.  ...And, when you have internal heavy metal problems, guess what is almost assured to happen?  That’s right… shedding!  It’s a bona fide, surefire way to lose hair.  So, I shedded like CRAZY during that period -my skin was all pale, too, and whole body was screwed up for a long time.  I remember getting into a swimming pool in mid-May -and I’m in Florida so it was toasty- and I froze so bad that I could only stay in the pool about a minute, while my skinny wife was just fine and said the water was warm.  So, yeah, bad experience, and maybe I’ll go into that more later.

One disclaimer here… what I’m about to say is extremely unproven, might have zero merit, and what may have rectified my problem was simply “getting past it”, but I personally think that I did some things to help.  I fully realize that there is a chance that my hair simply was recovering on its own, though.

1) Oils, oils, and oils -to combat dryness (which may be the main culprit anyway).

I don’t know about you, but whenever I’ve gone through any shedding -including this one- I’ve *always* noticed that my scalp is drier than normal.  Sometimes bone dry.  Also, have you ever noticed that when your hair is greasy, the grease actually seems to DRY and BURN the scalp a little?  ...And whenever you finally shower off the grease, often times you are left with a scalp so dry that it feels like chalk?  During this period, I didn’t shower anywhere close to what civilization says that I should (because I felt miserable and therefore wanted to look miserable), and I think the added greasiness compounded the problem.

This dryness is NOT GOOD, and although I don’t hear it from everyone, I do hear a lot of people say that dryness is associated with poor lllt results and ultimately shedding.

So, what I did was drop the polysorbate 80 and clay.  I haven’t put those back in yet except for rare instances, but they will be back in the rotation one day (I actually used clay with ACV in it for the first time last week, so I’m starting to re-implement them!).  Instead, before each shower, I’d put in either emu oil or sea buckthorn oil -and I would keep them on for about half hour or an hour, and then I’d shower them off (and then use the helmet).  I still do this, and have for a good three or so months now (maybe four or so?).

This is important, though… I DID NOT LEAVE THE OIL IN MY HAIR TOO LONG.  I’m sure a lot of you know what I’m talking about when I say that if you leave in oil too long, you can get that same drying/burning effect.  Just leave it on enough so it “soaks in”, and I think leaving it on longer than that can cause irritation -at least it does with me.

I actually used “Blue Sage Naturals” hair topical a lot for this.  If some of you remember back to the days of “Creep” a long time ago, he really pushed sea buckthorn oil -and whether or not it actually fights demodex, or whether demodex is a true culprit behind some of our problems, most people find that sea buckthorn does have some positive benefits. 

I think pretty much ANY OIL that has been deemed by the forums as good for hair loss will work just fine, by the way.  I think a lot of people used to rave about Neem Oil.  I don’t remember having tried any other oils other than emu or seabuckthorn, though, so I just stuck with what I knew (and I had emu oil already, so it was a no-brainer).

I actually got out of the shower a little while ago (I used emu this time) and used my helmet , and I thought I’d bring up this tip…. Don’t waste your good shampoo washing out the oil.  I also got a BAR of seabuckthorn oil soap (which is what Creep recommended anyway), and I use that for the initial wash.  I just lather up the bar and my hands and cover my entire scalp with it, and it’s not over-drying and totally removes the oil without having to waste your good shampoo.

I just got off the phone with Nidhogge, and we might even learn to MAKE a seabuckthorn soap bar in the future -that’s how much I like it!

So, like I said before, my hair could have just corrected itself on its own, but I think using oil -and using it in a way that didn’t cause the oil to cause irritation, drying, and burning on its own- really helped me out here.

You know, I try to “listen” to what my scalp tells me, and it was telling me to use the oils, and I’m glad I listened to it.

2) Scalp Skin Lady’s stuff…

The more and more I think about this, the more I think this might be the main reason that my scalp returned to normal.  As a lot of you know, I had always BELIEVED that scalp peels would be beneficial, but I never got off my lazy ass to do them -until a few months ago.

I actually had a box of Scalp Skin Lady’s “basic kit” which contains a mild chemical peel in it, but I had just neglected to use it.  When I was going through this experience, my initial thought was “I don’t want to do the chemical peel because my scalp is already too dry” -but then I thought about it and realized that using a scalp peel probably would FORCE my scalp to regenerate itself back to normal.

I used it every week for about six or seven weeks, and now I’m using it every month, and after about a couple of months is when I noticed my scalp was feeling much less dry again.  This would be about the time that I would start seeing (or “feeling” I guess) results from it -although the best results are still probably a year away.

The one thing is that I think actually the scalp peel in her kit could be a little stronger.  It’s obviously just fine, but I’m sure I’m just like you guys where you WANT to feel the burn of something so you know it’s doing stuff! lol…

So, it makes sense to me looking back on it that literally peeling away the troublesome scalp every week for six weeks might have aided recovery here.

Once again, my hair and scalp could have just corrected itself on its own, but I think using this scalp peel helped me rectify the situation (and that reminds me… I’m overdue for using it again).

3) Zix in a spray bottle…

You’ve heard me say it before, and you’ve probably heard a few others mention it… Super Zix II -at least for some of us- seems to greatly reduce or stop shedding.

I was getting sick of using the eyedropper to apply it.  I felt like shit, I looked like shit, and I didn’t want to spend time rubbing it on -and I didn’t feel like I was covering everywhere even when I was finished.

So, I mixed up 8 ounces of it and put it in a spray bottle, and I’ve been spraying my hair -and spraying it at a much greater frequency than I’ve ever applied it via a dropper.  Whenever I go in that bathroom, I’ve been spraying a little bit on.

I’ve tried using it in a spray bottle in the past and I thought I remembered that it didn’t work well.  For some reason -maybe it’s the spray bottle- it seems to be working great.  I’m going to use a spray bottle for it from now on -and honestly, even though I’m using it more frequently, I think I’m using LESS than I did with the dropper bottle.  I’m not sure if that’s true, but it seems that way.  I think it’s dispersing really well across my scalp -and I can easily get it into areas that I didn’t target as much before.

So, once again, my hair and scalp could have just corrected itself on its own, but I think that using the spray bottle to more effectively cover my scalp really helped to stop the shedding and fix things.

4) This is the one where I open myself up to get crucified….

...the VIOLET RAY!  Yeah, that’s right, the violet ray.  Don’t bother trying to search for information about it because you are going to find NOTHING scientific on it, and you are going to see a massive outcry from people that have never used it saying “This is a SCAM!”.  lol…

Man, the last time I checked wikipedia, they had removed every bit of information of a violet ray as a medical/therapeutical treatment and replaced it with “sex toy” information -completely bogus and biased, and I feel is a typical attempt from people with motives to slander something that could have some benefits.  I just checked it now, and most of that stuff is gone, but it’s replaced with a lot of “quack” talk, and how the noble FDA has declared war on them or something.  Literally, 95% of the article talks about how it’s a scam.

Wikipedia is GREAT for looking up, oh, say the background information of how the band “Queen” was formed.  Wikipedia is HORRIBLE for any sort of real information about medical or therapeutic treatments because I’m afraid that the rabid internet nazis are more on the side of the pharmaceutical companies than on the side of truth, and something like wikipedia is a war where the most persistent person wins.

Realistically, I’m pretty sure that they are probably quack devices for the multitude of symptoms they are said to correct.  I’m not positive it would do anything for us.  However, electrotherapy with high frequencies, low voltages, and OZONE have been shown to help SKIN -and I know other electrotherapy devices have been shown to help HAIR LOSS.  So, this is one of those things where unfortunately people have chased it out of any sort of real discussion because there are a few things about it that they could actually help (namely skin and hair like I said).  There are LOTS of reports that this helps wrinkles, by the way.  People rave about it for skin.  Nope… it’s never really been studied for it and probably never will be -ladies and gentleman, that’s the state of the world!

Anyway, I became aware of this through private emails with JDP710.  As you guys know, he thoroughly researches this stuff before he says anything about it, and told me I should check it out.  When I looked into it, whenever I found information about using it with hair, I saw a recurring “reduces hair shedding” theme.  Yes, total unproven without any factual support, but hey… they are cheap.  I got mine off ebay for like 60 bucks.

As you may know about me… I love gizmos.  I think gizmos are the missing link for many people in their struggle against hair loss -the laser helmet, for example, is CRUCIAL.  It can do things that nothing else can.  So, I’m always open to trying other gizmos, and I’ve wanted to try something based around electrotherapy or electro-magnetism for a long time to use on my “off” days (days I’m not using the helmet).

By the way, the LIGHT doesn’t do anything with this device.  It’s the electricity and the ozone that have benefits for skin/hair.  I know ozone has been reported to help skin for a long time, and you do notice a difference when you use it on your face.

It basically has glass tubes that have inert gases in them, and they charge up and this is what causes the electric reactions.  They have a “rake” tube that basically is like a comb that you can use through hair, and it has another good attachment for your face.

Anyway, I realize that this device is low hanging fruit for anyone that wants to take a swipe, but hey… if you’ve got $65 to burn and some free time, it won’t take you long to realize that yeah… it DOES do something and your skin does look a little better.  It’s actually kind of fun and totally relaxing as well -it almost puts me to sleep every time.

Does it actually stop shedding like it suggests?  I don’t know… I know ozone helps the skin, and based on my personal findings about a dry scalp and shedding, it does sound at least plausible.  Anyway, feel free to attack me on this -I’m just going to ask that you show a picture of yourself holding your own violet ray before you do!

5) Worthy of mention…

The only other thing that I’ve changed is that I’ve started consuming a lot of sodium bicarbonate pills.  There has been talk in the past about how if your body is too acidic, then A LOT of problems -including possibly cancer (at least some have said that allegedly cancer has trouble existing in a more alkaline environment)- can occur.  Skin is extremely affected by this.  For example, smoking always causes people to look WAY OLDER than they are, and this is probably because it changes people’s skin chemistry to be more acidic.  So, acid makes skin more wrinkly and ugly.  Change the environment, and this corrects itself.

I started taking this for nothing having to do with hair… I developed pretty bad acid reflux.  Literally, sometimes it would wake me up (and this was during that crappy period, too).  This was almost daily.  Sodium bicarbonate is an ingredient in most acid reflux medication.

Also, I listen to “Coast to Coast AM” and there have been plenty of alternative medicine gurus on there that say we all should be taking it, so I finally said “Why not”.  After a couple of months, the acid reflux did stop -literally, I’ve only had it once or twice in the past few months.

The timeframe of my HAIR recovery does also coincide with me starting to load myself with sodium bicarbonate on a daily basis.  I know that I’ve at least heard casual mention that an acidic body can cause hair loss, and I know there has been a lot of discussion on checking your PH levels as well.  So, could it be that this had something to do with it??

I don’t know!  Maybe…

Here’s the end result…

My hair is back to normal, and my scalp feels normal again.  I just used my laser helmet before I wrote this post, and that reminds me that UNLIKE it was when my scalp was in bad shape and dry, I actually feel the stimulation that I used to before this awful detox sickness of mine that wouldn’t go away and caused me to shed.  If you are the type that feels a lot of stimulation from LLLT, and you put on your laser helmet, use it for 20 minutes, take it off, and DON’T feel anything… that’s a big sign that something is wrong.  So, I’ve been feeling it again like I used to before this nightmare detox gone wrong, and my hair is looking good again, and my scalp feels great again.  So, there you go!

I’ll say the disclaimer again… I don’t know whether or not my hair/scalp recovered on its own, but I really think that all of this played a role into getting me back to NORMAL.  I’ll be putting the polysorbate 80 back into the rotation in a couple of months (I do feel that it’s EXTREMELY important!).

Anyway, I love to hear from other people that have noticed the dryness I’m talking about and how it leads to shedding. 

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 5 ]

July 22, 2011, 01:04 AM

OMG,

Congratulations!  Hopefully the baby will take after the Laser Babe. 

Oh yeah forgot to mention, dark chocolate 80+% is really good for de-stressing after work.  I eat about 1 to 1.5 ounces a day when I get home from work.  It is a good fix for day to day stresses.

IGNORE

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 108

# 6 ]

July 22, 2011, 04:24 PM

first off..CONGRATS OMG and the Laser Babe!!!!!!

secondly welcome back!!!!!

thirdly its funny you mention violet ray, i had just recently looked that up and actually had a bunch in watch list on ebay. i just wanted to see what they would go for, i dont have the $ to buy one. btw they were all the really old ones, ‘20’s, teens etc. i know they still have new ones i was just curious.

IGNORE

halfempty

RankRank

Total Posts: 58

# 7 ]

July 23, 2011, 05:58 PM

John, good to see you! Congratulations on the baby, that is AWESOME! You will be a great father.

IGNORE

Mastery

RankRank

Total Posts: 234

# 8 ]

August 02, 2011, 04:50 PM

SolitaireCloneInX - July 19, 2011, 12:18 AM

I’ve just about reached my 13th month on LLLT, and while I initially saw some improvement in hair quality, I feel that in the past 4-5 months I’ve kind of backslid. I’ve been shedding a ridiculous amount on a daily basis for about 5 months now, and my front hairline/temples which were in decent condition are now starting to thin noticeably. But I don’t think that LLLT is causing the massive thinning/shedding, and was wondering if stress could have a big influence on it.

To give a little background, in the past 8 months several stressful things have happened: I lost my grandfather to cancer, my childhood dog had to be put to sleep, I started working an increasingly stressful job, my car stopped working, I’ve had to move twice, and then just last month I went through a terrible breakup after a 5 year relationship. Now I’ve heard that abnormal stress could accelerate hair loss, and if that’s so is there anything I should do to help counter this and get back on track?

I believe in the science of LLLT and am hoping that this is not a huge setback on my path to regrow my hair. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, I’ve been noticing a big increase in sebum on the scalp. Any suggestions on reducing sebum? Thanks in advance!

Take Korean Panax Ginseng and rotaet a fewotehr adaptogens to remove or cut back on stress.

Remove cooked oil from the diet to cut back on sebum.

Good luck!

M

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 9 ]

August 03, 2011, 12:37 AM

Mastery,

Why Korean Panax, is that best form of Ginseng?  And do you take it and if so what benefits do you get from it?  I’ve been thinking of adding ginseng for some time so I am very interested in this.

Btw, that batman gif avatar kind of stresses me out.  It is kind of funny but a bit manic.

IGNORE

SolitaireCloneInX

RankRank

Total Posts: 56

# 10 ]

August 05, 2011, 08:38 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info. I’ve started taking some recommended supplements and doing some meditation to help lower my stress levels, and am planning on adding the Scalp Systems kit to my regimen. I should have done it a while back, but was pretty wrapped up in other matters.

Does anyone know though what happened to the Scalp Systems website? I’ve tried checking it out the past several days, and I keep getting an error response indicating that the website’s server isn’t responding. Does anyone know if it’s been down a long time, or whether it’s being fixed?

P.S. Congrats to OMG and LaserBabe on the upcoming addition!

Some days you just can’t get rid of a bomb!

IGNORE

jdp710

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 168

# 11 ]

August 07, 2011, 02:45 AM

OMG,

I’m sorry to hear about Karl!

I also wanted to drop in and let you know some new info regarding the Violet Ray.  IMO, based on my research and the few times I’ve used it believe most of the benefits come from when it’s used predominately right about the ears.  The mushroom attachment works well here as well. 

The reason why I believe is due to something fairly new discovered that was originally found in MS called CCSVI.  Has been called Liberation Therapy for MS based on how well it helps when correcting it.  What’s brand new is it turns out other autoimmune conditions are also related to this as well.  I believe hair loss is also related to this!

Essentially with CCSVI there is a narrowing of the veins that go to the brain “and” SCALP which are located in the neck.  The more veins that are blocked, the more likely blood just pools in the brain. 

Reason for CCSVI issue is due to pathogens, biofilms, etc. which cause inflammation and eventually the neck veins become blocked. 

I also believe how sometimes hair on one side of the head recedes faster than the other side.  Well, it’s possible it’s correlated to which veins on which side of the neck is blocked more than the other side.  Just as what’s being found in strokes. 

Here is a new lecture from Klinghardt who is one of the worlds best when it comes to autoimmune conditions IMO and the best and brand new info on CCSVI is here http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/242-a-deep-look-beyond-lyme

P.S.  Congrats about having a baby again!  That’s great news! 

hope this helps

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.