Replacing laser Diodes

Share/Bookmark

pierre

RankRank

Total Posts: 68

July 22, 2011, 06:54 AM

Hi guys yesterday during my LLLT session I experienced a kind of burn sensation on my scalp, and stills now.
Some laser diodes are out of order.
I need to replace it.

First of all, how to recognize them ?
How to replace it because I don’t know how the OMG laser messiah wiring system runs.

I mean this :

01_wire-nut-wire-connectors.jpg

IGNORE

pierre

RankRank

# 1 ]

July 25, 2011, 04:32 PM

nobody there ?

IGNORE

pierre

RankRank

# 2 ]

July 26, 2011, 07:59 PM

Still experiencing, it seems that I have 12 more diodes still running bad on the helmet with this speciality of running good on the first 5 minutes than start heating on go mad with slow lighting.

IGNORE

A1pup

RankRank

Total Posts: 72

# 3 ]

July 29, 2011, 01:39 PM

hi pierre,

the hot diodes really need to be cut out…you can use some sharp scissors or nail clippers…

Obviously make sure the helmets not plugged in!! then locate the hot or dim diodes, trace the diode wires to the outside wires then snip the black and red wire 2inch AWAY from the bottom of wire nut…Carefully push out the diode from inside the helmet, i find a pen or something the same diameter as diode itself works best But you must be careful.. so you should be left with 2 loose wires coming from the wire nut… you want to tape these wires up separately just the ends with electrical insulation tape, not loads though, just 20mm tape is fine, 10mm on the wire 10mm off. you get the idea ..SEPARATELY.. thats really important!! these wires must not touch each other without being taped up.. Once you,ve done that to each of the hot/dim diodes and taped the wires you can carry on using the helmet until you get Replacements!!

putting them back in is really simple… all you do is trim up the wires on the new diode, re-attach and re-insulate the new joint with tape (i use heatshrink it makes it look really neat) accordingly fit the diode into the helmet and your away….

I,ve replaced 12 diodes in 12months, and i think half of those went down because of me spraining the wires a bit too much when i first built mine and have replaced them both ways, removing the wire nut the first time can be a bit alarming for someone…. but its really No big deal…

you could look at omg,s building plans and some old threads on replacing diodes.. Get some wire nuts and 10 lot of stripped wires and have a mess about with them..

Maybe somebody else will chime in and add to this.. removing the diodes as described will allow you to carry on using your helmet until you get some replacments!!

I hope this helps you out pierre

IGNORE

A1pup

RankRank

Total Posts: 72

# 4 ]

July 29, 2011, 02:05 PM

Some diodes do run a little warm… not to be confused with “hot” or “dim” running diodes which are basically knackered and need to be removed… if you leave hot running diodes in the helmet you will eventually be able to find them cos they are really dim, and hot:-)... the burning on your scalp usually means a diodes on its way out though and need removing!!

Good luck!

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.