Hello and Congrats!

Share/Bookmark

TrueGround

RankRank

Total Posts: 79

September 22, 2011, 08:48 PM

Hey guys,

Been following this forum for quite a while now and am very glad to have finally gained membership.  I want to lead out my first post with congratulations to all the “Big Players” in this community that have been contributing their advice, legitimate products or support of any kind.  OMG, Immortal, Zix, Nidhogge, Zone, JDP and all others who contribute…Thank You!  You guys clearly mean business when it comes to hair loss and all of your hard work is truly appreciated.

As a sufferer of MPB since 19 years old, now 23, I know how much this condition can impose a very negative effect on our way of thinking and therefore living.  I often feel as though many aspects of my youth have been flat out robbed of me.  That being said, I have the utmost respect and admiration for those who I have already made mention, who are truly pioneering some of the best “alternative” hair loss treatments in the world.  You guys not only have balls to put yourselves out there publicly, but also have incredible determination and problem solving skills that have/will benefit all of us here looking for solutions.

Just wanted to give thanks to everybody here.  I personally plan to make as many contributions to this community as possible in the future.  I’m here to fight the good fight.

Cheers,
TrueGround

IGNORE

Zone

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 107

# 1 ]

September 23, 2011, 03:10 AM

Hey TrueGround,

Welcome aboard mate and thank you for the kind words.

It’s the quality of the contributions that make this site so good and is also what first attracted me. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 2 ]

September 23, 2011, 06:38 AM

Hey, Trueground!

Yep… if I didn’t have hair loss in my 20’s, I would have been in all sorts of bands.  A big, 6’4” balding guy just isn’t a good rock look, and I wasn’t going to shave my head, so that really, truly affected me!

Unfortunately, back in the 90’s to the mid 2000’s, there wasn’t jack sh*t out there -and whatever WAS out there that actually worked was just impossible to find!

Anyway, glad you are on the board!

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 3 ]

September 23, 2011, 06:46 AM

Hi Trueground. Welcome to the board. Thanks for the kind words.

OK let’s get started. What treatments are you currently using?

IGNORE

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 108

# 4 ]

September 23, 2011, 04:47 PM

Welcome to the aboard!!

IGNORE

retepick

Rank

Total Posts: 1

# 5 ]

September 23, 2011, 06:55 PM

I too am new to this board and was finally able to join…but this board is awesome! I too am in my 20’s (late 20’s though) and have started to see hair loss, and have for 2 years tried multiple different topicals and orals to just halt hair loss (only mildly successful so far) and even bought the iGrow (only 20 lasers and I saw no improvement, no surprise).

But I would like to say that I too have found guys like OMG, Zix creator, etc to be incredibly helpful and refreshingly optimistic. Thanks!

IGNORE

TrueGround

RankRank

# 6 ]

September 23, 2011, 07:22 PM

Thanks guys,

I’ll give you the run down on what I’ve been doing to intervene so far.  I’ve been sticking to this since probably July of last year.

Internals (almost all from Life Extension):

Resveratrol / Bio Curcumin
Green Tea Extract
Soy Isofalvones (starting to come off of this)
Super Absorption Tocotreinols
Taurine
Black Theaflavin Extract
EFA’s (Started with high grade fish oils, now Evening Primrose)
Sea Iodine + Vitamin D3 (now using Iosol instead)
Iron Protein Plus
High Quality Multivitamin

Topical:
Emu Oil (every day, usually 2x)
Revita Shampoo (4-5x / week)

Everything listed above was encouraged by research done by a guy named Kelly from hairloss-research.org.  I’m sure some of you are familiar with him.
I’ve also made a very strong effort to stick to a very clean diet.  I’m not religious about this but I would say about 80% of my meals are lean and healthy.  This regimen has seemed to stabilize my loss since I started it my Senior year of college.

I have not:
Started laser treatment
Implemented any of Immortal’s recommended supps (aside from Iodine)
Used an anti DHT topical (except for Revita)

I plan to implement these things as soon as possible and am particularly excited about laser (especially pulsed) therapy.  I’ve just got a feeling it will do some great things for my condition.  Money has just been too tight for a helmet, but I just started my first job a month ago.

I initially noticed the onset of MPB after my first year of college.  Initially I wasn’t too freaked out because I had a long term girlfriend who was content with me and the loss wasn’t extreme.  Temporal recession got quite aggressive my 2nd-3rd year of college.  The girl and I broke up and I started becoming much more self conscious about the issue.  I’m currently in between Norwood 2-3, barely thinning at vertex.  I’ve always been able to cover the loss up quite well, but its very stressful worrying about keeping that false image.

Last thoughts:  As I mentioned, hair loss started my first year of college, which happened to coincide with pretty heavy regular drinking.  I joined a fraternity and just about everybody I know, whether in or outside of that group partied their asses off in college.  Looking back, I can’t help but think this could have had a large impact on my MPB.  Although, I know plenty of guys my age who are also big drinkers and have great hair.

I’ve got some other insight that I will share with you guys later on.
Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Sorry for the long post.

-TG

IGNORE

Zone

RankRank

Editor

# 7 ]

September 25, 2011, 03:43 AM

The good news is that you are young and you have been proactive. I would definitely give LLLT a go. You are already taking a lot of supplements however I would recommend checking out immortal’s web site for more info on supplements. You might be able to consolidate a few and fine tune your approach somewhat.

On the topical front I recommend Super Zix however also check out this thread: new topical

And of course make sure that you get all the latest news from OMG’s Hot topics video

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

Total Posts: 140

# 8 ]

September 25, 2011, 10:00 AM

TheGround…

Good post!  I’m really getting refocused with all this myself.  I’ve had a very busy summer as my cousin got married and I was the best man.  It really does put things in perspective being a part of events like that.  I’m 31 but ive also been experiencing this throughout my 20s.  Really my thinning probably started around 19-20.  Anyway, just being the guy who started balding young really sucks.  I started treating my hairloss pretty young but unfortunately I tried rogain and finasteride.  These were the products that were given to me as my only “proven” options.  Rogain turned my scalp to cake like flakes and finasteride didnt seem to do much.  I can admit that I got less hard ons with fin.  Honestly, I’ve pretty much stopped treating my hair over the last 6 months.  I havent been working out much either.  However, a relative at the wedding who is 70 with almost all his hair made a comment to me.  Actually, he made several inconsiderate comments to the bald guys.  Than he came around to me and made a comment about how i was combing over because I was losing my hair.  I basically just flipped him off but there was so much I would have said if I was not at my cousin’s wedding.  Overall, I’d rather have my brains, my girl, my future and overall life over his.  But just the fact that these idiots get free rain to say whatever they want.  The whole wedding thing kinda does suck because you tend to notice the family that didn’t lose their hair and compare yourself. I feel like a man doesn’t really become a man until they establish themself, have some money, and have a certain level of maturity.  Unfortunately, for many of us once we got their we took a major hit with the thinning hair.  I have to say im glad this moron made comments to me because now I want to get back to the lasers and supplements.  And I see things are starting to jump off here too so that is great. 

IGNORE

TrueGround

RankRank

# 9 ]

September 27, 2011, 07:30 PM

Thanks Zone,
I have a question about laser treatment.  Anybody with input, please chime in.
What do you think the best approach is for a first time LT user?
Should I start with a constant wave helmet and then add pulse capability down the road once my results (if any) peak around that 18 month mark?  OR should I dive straight in the with pulsed therapy?

Neutron,

I definitely hear ya on how infuriating it can be when somebody mocks you for your hair loss.  My loss was initially pointed out by a “friend” of mine when I was at a pool around a bunch of people.  I was 19, and would have stomped him for bringing it up in that manner, however I just said “my hair has always been like this”.  I didn’t want to act like it really affected me in front of everybody.  This was the very first time I had ever thought about hair loss.  I’ve also had a relative who pointed out my loss just recently, but only because I shaved my head and the receded hair line was out there for everyone to see.

One thing I will say, since I made the move of shaving, I will probably never (until there’s a damn cure) grow my hair back to the length I’ve had it before.  The shave is a very liberating move and it could literally change your life.  I was going to wait until I moved away from college but I just went for it.  Everybody that I have known for years now knows I’m losing hair, and that’s that. No more trying to hide it.  As do most people though, I do look better with hair, so I’ve just decided to keep it very short from here on out.  People say less is more when it comes to hair loss and this is definitely the case with me.

Anybody considering the shave, pull the trigger and rock it with confidence (even if you don’t feel confident).  If you don’t want to buzz it right away, start cutting your hair shorter and shorter with every hair cut or so until you’re ready for it.  It will not be nearly as drastic, as it can be stressful when everybody asks what the hell happened to your hair.

If anybody wants some advice on this “power move” feel free to drop a post.  My debut of the shave was pretty shocking to everybody. I was a bartender in college and knew A LOT of people so I got many comments.  The shave can really help lower your stress levels about hair loss once you adjust to it, which should save more hair in the long run!  Plus, topicals are also VERY easy to apply this way as well!

IGNORE

Nidhogge

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 510

# 10 ]

September 28, 2011, 12:37 AM

Hey TrueGround,

Thank you for the kind words man, it means a lot!  We’ve all come a long way, and I strongly believe that we are close to covering all of the bases in terms of hair loss causation, and how we can address those causes.  For LLLT—diving into Pulsed Therapy right off the bat certainly couldn’t hurt, and could only potentially help.  I wouldn’t advise holding off for any reason other than not having enough money to cover the additional unit in the beginning, but if you do, then by all means!  Like yourself, I started losing my hair noticeably at 19, and unfortunately, didn’t get into clinical LLLT (expensive!) until years later and didn’t get into building helmets for myself and others until a year or so after that.  By that point, I lost a good amount of ground over the years that made me wish that I discovered LLLT at a much earlier stage!

And, I “pulled the trigger” and gave my head the buzz the summer before last, and before that I had some long-ass hair.  I’ll provide you with some pictures if you want via private message, but it’s worked out pretty good for me.  Like you said, it’s a LOT easier to apply topicals and stress over hair is non-existent.  Plus, you can do some pretty cool things with facial hair and a shaved head. smile 

Oh, you asked about supplements and the “Top 6” I believe as well.  You can find more information on the supplements and organic shampoo that we use and make at the following link:

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t4310-immortal-hair-supplement-line-now-available-pricing-information

All the best brother!

IGNORE

Zone

RankRank

Editor

# 11 ]

September 28, 2011, 04:32 AM

In my view pulsed LLLT is THE way to go, however to be fair I don’t have the empirical evidence to prove that (or even say that) to anyone.

I am hopeful that with the help of the WHL.org community that evidence will be available soon.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

Total Posts: 140

# 12 ]

September 28, 2011, 07:45 PM

Hello Everyone,

This may be obvious, but what is up with all this about pulsed LLT?  I guess i havent been paying much attention but what is the difference?

IGNORE

Zone

RankRank

Editor

# 13 ]

September 30, 2011, 07:11 AM

Hey neutron,

If you want the long answer check out this thread: Pulsed lasers

The short answer is that there are a number of theories (and some research) that suggests that pulsed lasers offer better LLLT results than constant wave lasers. pulsed lasers have what is known as “quench” periods, which is the laser “off” time and this allows for higher peak power densities to be administered which may increase penetration depth.

There may also be other biological reasons for the improved efficacy of pulsed lasers. The majority of the pulsed light sources used for LLLT use frequencies in the 2.5–10,000 Hz range. This observation suggests that there may be fundamental frequencies existing in biological systems and the application of pulsed light either at those frequencies or harmonics thereof may help to induce additional biostimulation effects.

Thirdly there is the possibility that one mechanism of action of LLLT on a cellular level is the photodissociation of nitric oxide from a protein binding site. If this process occurs it is likely that the nitric oxide would rebind to the same site even in the presence of continuous light. Therefore if the light was pulsed multiple photodissociation events could occur, while in CW mode the number of dissociations may be much smaller.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.