If you knew at 18 what you know now…

Share/Bookmark

Superman777

Rank

Total Posts: 18

December 13, 2011, 04:50 PM

Hi guys,

So I recently joined this awesome site after following it for about a month, because it looks to me to be the best place out there. I honestly want to thank every one involved because its comforting to know that people are working towards a common goal with each other as well as themselves in mind.

So, I’m 18 turning 19 in less than 2 months. My hair has been thinning for at least 2 years now, and only recently just started mildly receding within the last year (mostly in the temples). Nothing could be found in the blood test results except for super high cholesterol (which my entire dad’s side of the family suffers from so no surprise there). So here’s my question (especially the editors)

If any of you could go back to when you were 18 and start on a lifelong regime to fight MPB with the info and technology that is available NOW (mostly thanks to the people of this website) what would be your MASTER plan? This would be the regime that you believe would bring out the best/ideal results for someone no matter what stage of balding they are in. This could include shampoos, conditioners, topicals, pills etc. With the goals obviously being (as much as availably possible):

1)Maintain
2)Thicken
3)Regrow

P.S- I’ve read the 30 month window writeup so I tottally understand that there isn’t yet (and might never be) a way to go from a norwood 6 to a 0, but what I meant above was that I dont want suggestions that would leave things out because I still have 90% of my (thinning) hair or because Im still 18. If any of you were in my position, what would be the best way you could think of to fight hairloss pulling out all the stops.

Think of me as a guiney pig. I’ve only been actively fighting hairloss for about 4 months now, but Im already sick of GP’s and their “Pray it doesnt get any worse attitude.”

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
                                              -Benjamin Franklin

“Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice”
                                              -W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

Viking

RankRank

Total Posts: 40

# 1 ]

December 13, 2011, 05:13 PM

Superman..

If I was 18 and on this forum.. I would buy Nid/Imortals new topical alongside the pills AND consulting Imortal.. He knows his stuff for sure!!
One thing I have picked uo is, that it all depends.. Hairloss is a big puzzel and it looks differentfor different individuals.. I’m fore one is convinced that DHT is my main enemy..

If I was 18 and Internet and places like this excisted I would be better off then I waswhen I startet to loos my hair at 20, back in 1983.. 1987 2% Regain came.. and then it all started. Today Im NW 4-5, and I can tell you I have been fighting it with all there is!
But I really think we are close to solutions with Hair cloning around the corner, Acell + PRP is here.. and sp the editor on here - you are almost lucky!

Good luck with it all and stay tune here! smile

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

# 2 ]

December 13, 2011, 06:33 PM

Viking,

Thank you for your input. Hair cloning is something I just recently researched and at least its moving in a positive direction!

Like you said, there are so many factors that go into MPB, but at least this is one site that is covering every possible angle without prejudice. I’ve really benefited from all the info people on the earlier forums for hairloss have been posting and sharing. Esspecially the stuff about propecia (f**k that chit).

Because I more or less have a full head of hair still (that like I said is experiencing thinning), I want to do what I can to help the hairloss community. One thing every forum agrees on though, is that TIME IS MONEY- the earlier you start fighting, the better chance someone has. I want to offer my experiences as kind of a “what if you catch it when it just started” scenerio that could hopfully help those involved in developing hairloss products (i.e the editors of this site) get that much closer to an up to date “first response” kind of plan. If you have a regime that slows down shedding, thickens a bit and regrows a bit (nothing too drastic) it would hypothetically be enough to reverse a good bit of what has happened to you in a period of <5 years balding. And so far, members of this community have had those (minimal thickening/regrowth/halting of shedding) results!

Still hypothetically speaking, if I (or anyone early on in their hairloss fight) start on the best possible regime available and are able reverse their hair back to (the apperent maxumum benefit of) 30 months before, then they could keep their teenage hair. In my personal case, 30 months would take me back to about age 16-17-no complaints there.

As far as those martyrs (I use this term with the utmost respect) who have tried all the numerous different options available up untill this point in time, through their trial and error have given the younger generation the info it needs to get the maximum benefit AVAILABLE (whatever that may be) when it first shows up. And with hair transplantation and cloning available in the near future, we could all enjoy a full head of hair lol. I say hypothetically alot cause I’m talking in terms of best possible results, and obviously everyone will be different. I plan on taking pictures of my progression when I decide on the regime so that the info is at the disposal of anyone who need it-however that it might help them

-Benjamin Franklin

-W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

Total Posts: 121

# 3 ]

December 13, 2011, 07:36 PM

I dont know what my master plan would be, but it would definitely include LLLT and something to control DHT. You cant expect miracles from LLLT but its effective at maintaining and thickening. Simply containing DHT and LLLT have given me good results. I can also recommend shampoo containing ketoconazole. These are the things that have been proven. Minoxidil is also effective, i like the Perfect Image brand. However they say it does stop working eventually. And once you start it you cant really stop so idk if u wanna go down that road.

Some of the guys here have been in the forums since the 90s and tried it all. Since i dont really hear much talk about all of the treatments out there i am assuming none of them are really that great or they are really messy and obnoxious to work with.

I also cant argue with Vitamin D, Omega 3s, Magnesium, and perhaps Curcumin for Inflammation.

IGNORE

bear101

RankRank

Total Posts: 55

# 4 ]

December 14, 2011, 02:16 PM

Superman, I would consult with a good hairloss doctor. Not for surgery, but to formulate a good plan of action. Most likely they would put you on Propecia and probably recommend Rogaine as well.A number of people on here would not advocate Propecia, but if you can tolerate the side effects (if you get any at all) then go for it. I had severe side effects from it, but I would take it if I could as its a very easy regiment to keep up. If you want to be absolutely safe you could try one 1 mg finasteride a week (1 Propecia Pill) and see what that does. I remember Doctor Cooley saying that it could inhibit DHT levels for up to 7 days and believe me it does as I could tell from the side effects. I found LLT good for making my hair look and feel better.

While these things may work on the hairline to some extent, they might only slow the loss down there. I firmly believe these things work better at the midscalp and crown regions and that’s the reason why a lot of these people ditch these treatments (they are not aware its working in an area other than the hairline). You can try a lot of other products, but I think if you go Propecia first and can tolerate it you may save a lot of money.

Try Dr. Ray Konior online. I’ve consulted with a number of doctors online and you usually don’t get to talk with them…you only get patient advisors or sales people. I do not work for Konior or anything, but this guy gives straight up advice and answers your questions promptly…he even responded on Sunday…this is almost unheard of for a hair surgeon.

IGNORE

J87

RankRank

Total Posts: 75

# 5 ]

December 14, 2011, 05:48 PM

Minox and propecia gave me no results when I was 18, stayed on them for 4 years still lost 80% of my hair. I still don’t know what the main cause(s) of my hairloss were, so if I could go back in time I would give myself the IH regimen, some good anti-inflammatory topicals, superzix II, laser helmet, etc. Also would detox for heavy metals.

IGNORE

Viking

RankRank

# 6 ]

December 14, 2011, 06:46 PM

J87, you are right on it. As I started to say, i think Immortal is top notch when it come to knowledge on nutrition issus cousing hailoss.. Us the line of pills he andNid have, it’s a grate start, I’m dead sure. Read Immortalshomepage if you are in doubt.
I would also recomend no sugar AT ALL, and a lot of raw food.. start small.. get used to it. For me It’s a bit to late to totally let go of my old (bad) habbits.. but I would have done this if I was 18 now, for sure!

Ok, if I was 18… I would use;
Nids topical - the video speeks for itselfe.. I think Minoxidil can say buy buy now..
Nid/Immortals pills.. all of them. You might end up beeing 200-years..serius
Spironolactone 2% - better then propecia in my opinion
LLLT - LaserMesiah 450.. just do it!
Keto shampo without bad stuff, alter with Nids all natural..
Emu oil is grate if you can stad beeing greasy.. at leat two times a day..

In the best scanario - Acell + PRP works wonder.. and a vision is odcourse haircloning, with hair by hair inplant and enless numbers of hair that will grow all yourlife… smile

Cheers

IGNORE

J87

RankRank

Total Posts: 75

# 7 ]

December 14, 2011, 08:37 PM

With all the information on minox working through potassium channels, simply taking magnesium + potassium (or the IH decalcify supplement), should give similar results as minox. I can’t say if it does the same thing, since I was never a responder to minox, but you may want to try this instead. Of course current users of minox will not understand this concept and continue to use it religiously regardless.

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

# 8 ]

December 14, 2011, 09:27 PM

NDW- My doctor recently gave me a prescription for rogain but like you mentioned, because of what is said about how minox eventually stops working and all the hairs just fall out at once Im defs a bit hessitant to start on it

Viking- Awesome suggestions, Im definatly leaning towards the new topical. Whats in the pills Immortal sells and what does it do, I never heard of them. Also I bought Nizoral (im from Canada and its real easy to get) but do you know of a keto shampoo that doesnt have the crap that Nizoral does?

And I looked up Acell+PRP last night but Im a little confused on what it is exactly. Does the injection of stem cells work on their own to stop hairloss and regrow hair, or does it need to be combined with a transplant?

Bear- I’ll look into the consulting for sure. Its hard to find someone who knows what theyre talking about and doesnt think your crazy for trying to stop “natures course”. Is there a fee to the online consultation? Also, if saving everything but the hairline is the best that could possibly be done I’ll take what I can get. A small transplant for the hairline would be all I need then if this ends up being the case. Norwood 1 for life smile

J87- I’ve already ordered a 6 month supply of Nature Source’s 375mg Beta Sitosterol supplements to bring down my cholesterol to bearable levels and kill some DHT in the process. Do you think the beta sitosterols could be used in place of the propecia?

One more question lol, Do you think I could use ZixII and Immortal’s new topical together? Like one in the morning one at night? Does anyone have experience with trying 2 different topicals at once?

Thanks for all the help guys, its super appreciated!

-Benjamin Franklin

-W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

bear101

RankRank

Total Posts: 55

# 9 ]

December 14, 2011, 09:53 PM

There is no fee for online consultations. The key is to get an actual doctor to respond instead of a middleman. I think it wouldn’t be bad idea to save for transplants in the future just in case. I agree saving the rest of the hair is not a bad thing at all lol

I had a similar experience with my family doctor…I’ve had very slow loss. He simply denied that there was anything at all and made me feel like I was nuts. I come to him 10 years later and he still doesn’t think there is any. After pretty much begging I finally got a referral to a dermatologist who was supposed to be the best where I live. The first visit I saw him and the second visit he didn’t even show up (even though he was at the office)...it was a resident doctor who knew nothing. It’s best to find your own doctor IMO.

BTW you have the best avatar EVER!!!!

IGNORE

Viking

RankRank

# 10 ]

December 15, 2011, 06:14 AM

Superm.

Acell +PRP is supposed to grow excisting hair stronger fuller all by it self. But if you preppare the scalp, both donar and reciving areas, the wonds vill CREATE NEW hair in them. That is the doner area will fill in againg.. so you can harvest many times. If it works it’s brilliant and I’ve seen some trustworthe info on it.

Reagarding the pill..It is sold in the same place as Nid/IH new topical, as a package. The reason you havent heard about it is becouse only a handfull of people have started to use it. But if you checkout the video, you will understand why a lot of us older guys jump on it.. smile
NID you realy need to market the stuff here! It is somewhat hard to locate and that can not be your intention? Here is a link
http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t4310-immortal-hair-supplement-line-and-rejuveplex-topical-now-available-order-information-here

Schampoo, I Use http://www.regenepure.com/ the DR product have Keto. in it.

Cheers

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

# 11 ]

December 16, 2011, 12:19 AM

Viking- Im really leaning towards the Acell+PRP injections on their own since in the cases I could saw, hairloss is slowed severely, with evidence of thickenning

Im just having a hard time finding out prices for it. I hope its not as much as a transplant would be. Do you have any info on the cost? And do you think the price is resonable for Regenpure in your opinion?

Bear- Out of all the default avatars the site provides, this one stuck out. For obvious reasons lol

-Benjamin Franklin

-W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

Total Posts: 140

# 12 ]

December 17, 2011, 11:20 AM

Great Post!

Im sorry to say that I havent read through everyones comments but I wanted to go ahead and post.  I plan to come back and read more thoroughly later.  I really noticed my hairloss around the age of 19.  Im 31 now and have lost the majority of my hair but in a diffuse pattern.  Essentially, I still have a full head of hair but it is extremely thin and miniturized.  I feel I down played the role of stress, nutrition and over played the use of finasteride, rogain and that crap nizoral.  For several years I was told that this was all that works.  First off, I dont believe everyones problem is solely based on DHT production.  If that was the case more people would experience some level of success with finasteride.  Also, I feel that minoxidil actually does more harm than good.  Thank god i quit after only two months as it destroyed my scalp.  I think there is alot of logic behind Immortal Hairs research.  I know that most of my relatives that have experienced hairloss have some things in common.  Mainly, they all seem to be diabetic, pre diabetic and also experience some level of heart disease.  If you look into Immortals current regimen, many of his components address these two issues.  I do not find that a coincidence.  In a nutshell, I feel that I stressed way too much over hairloss and life in general. I’m almost positive this made my situation worse. However, I do feel there is a ray of hope with science and alos a better regimen.  I feel that some vital things can be corrected to help yield better results.  Although i know that it is unrealistic to think I can even get my hair back to 50% fullness.  I really do not strive for that.  What I strive for is to slow the aging process down to a crawl and then thicken up what I have.  Id be happy to wake up at the age of 40 with the hair I have today.  I cant undue what already happend, but I am thankful that I learned of alternatives to the big three.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 13 ]

December 17, 2011, 11:34 AM

Superman…I think you already have the proper attitude…And you have information from this site that I did no know at your age.  Did you know that most people cannot see hairloss in someone else until it reaches 50% thickness?  Your goal should be maintenance on top of all else.  Definately read Immortals Page and pay close attention to his top line.  You have to remember that as you get older alot of your peers will begin losing their hair.  Oftentimes, people begin losing hair and everyone thinks they will go bald.  My brother started thinning in his late teens/ early 20s but his hair never went any further.  At 42 he has hair much thicker than my own and most of his peers.  What happend?  The same people that used to make fun of him are actually bald and he is not.  I would find a simple regimen that touches on all elements.  Immortals site will help you and give some research to provide an understanding as to what you are doing.  Strive to keep your hair above 50% thickness.  As you get older you will notice that people will catch up and actually exceed your level of thinning.  Also, evolve by continuing to research and learn new things.  Science is always discovering, discrediting and evolving.  You should do the same to make sure your continuing to stay ahead of the game.  Everyones hairloss is different.  Mine is extremely diffuse and treatments that lead me down a successful path may not lead you in the same direction.  I feel this is why minoxidil and finasteride are limited in their results.  Good luck with everything and remember not to stress.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 14 ]

December 17, 2011, 11:42 AM

Superman…

One more thing.  Keep in mind that doctors will never suggest anything other than the FDA approved treatments.  Maybe some doctors will suggest LLT but many simply dont know enough about it, therefore they view it as a scam.  Every doctor I visited in regards to my hairloss turned out to dissapoint.  I agree with your opinion of minoxidil.  Overall, the best case scenarios seem few and far between.  It does appear that it causes more harm than good because it makes non thinning hairs dependent.  Finasteride shouldnt do that but it may have very negative ramifications in terms of your overall health.  Your a young guy and I really dont see much of a reason to start using such a powerful drug that can effect your libido.

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

# 15 ]

December 17, 2011, 06:02 PM

Neutron,

Thanks for the post, you dont understand how hard it is just to discuss this with people. None of my friends can sympathize cause they’re hair is thick as hell, my parents think its a lost cause and I’m wasting my time (though I’d bet 100 bucks my dad noticed his hair at 18 too), and my doctor doesnt know anything! What I personally noticed about my family with hairloss is high cholesterol, which is why I brought in the plant sterols.

I’m trying to learn all I can so I can start NOW. I am hell bent on deciding on a regime within the next 3 months and just sticking to it. No one knows exactly what genetics they get, Im just assuming worst case senerio. The less time you’ve been losing the more hair you can save or possibly regrow, and I’m going to take advantage! Im just one of those guys that goes all in in life and tries to squeeze every last drop out of everything I can. My hairloss is no different and it really seems like there IS a ray of hope out there, its just finding it and having the ability to stay within that ray.

I also agree with you about propecia, and really dont feel like playing russian roulette with Finasteride at the moment. The risk to me seems too high, even though theres just as many people who dont get bad side effects from it.

The last 3 weeks I’ve been using:

Nizoral 2% (though I’ve decided to scrap it for Regenpure DR),
Beta Sitosterols 375mg (since yesterday),
The best organic shampoo I could find,
HerbalGlow conditioner-which has some good stimulants like Polysorbate 80 and niacin as well as saw pellmetto and anti-inflamatory herbs, though Im sure not in high concentrations.
Olive Oil over-night.

In 3 weeks I’ve noticed less itching, though its the opposite when I use the Nizoral. To tell you the truth, I would LOVE to fly to New York for an injection of Acell+PRP for safe measure. For the moment though, I’ll have to wait on that.

As soon as OMG feels up to it, I hope to add LLT to the plan with Rejuvaplex.

-Benjamin Franklin

-W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

# 16 ]

December 17, 2011, 06:06 PM

oh and neutron, Are you doing anything currently to control your hairloss? If so, whats your approach?

-Benjamin Franklin

-W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

Total Posts: 246

# 17 ]

December 18, 2011, 08:23 AM

It’s tough to say.  Odds are propeica alone would stop your hair loss, but at your age I don’t know how safe it is to take propecia.  You would need a Dr’s advice on that.

For a safe route that would likely stop your hair loss and thicken your existing hairs:

1. LLLT
2. rejuvaplex (nid’s topical)
3. Nizoral, Regenpure or Revita shampoo.

Finally, I would say you need to also focus on learning to live a healthy life style: eat healthy 90% of the time, exercise, avoid drugs and alcohol, and learn how to handle stress effectively.

I would stay away from doing an extensive regimen. For one, it’s very costly, and two, people rarely stick with complicated regimens so it’s hard to know how effective they are.  User friendly, and cost effective, is the way to go.

Tried a lot of things, never stuck with anything. Don’t do that

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 18 ]

December 18, 2011, 01:55 PM

Superman…

One point to try and keep in perspective.  I’m sure youd like to regrow all of your hair but the key is slowing this down and keeping as much as possible.  When I first started losing my hair I wanted nothing less than to regrow everything.  As time passes, you realize how big it is to simply keep alot of what you have.  I would be completely happy with what I had 4-5 years ago.  When I was 19 I would be completely upset with that. 

On Nizoral…I dropped that due to an extremely dry scalp. Also, my hair quality wasnt as good as that was way dry too. In terms of current treatments, Im trying to stay consistent with Immortals Top four supplements.  I owned an OMG laser helmet but ive had a very difficult time staying consistent.  Mainly because I want to use it just after I wash my hair, but i do that in the morning.  I dont have much time to commit to that in the morning, hence the issue.  I used it for about five months in the past and at the 2 month mark I was convinced it was working.  Then I seemed to shed alittle and eventually dropped off with the consistency…Im planning on making a full fledge commitment to it again with the coming of the new year.  Ive been using co q10 for several months now.  I feel that it is a must for anyone planning on attacking this problem with supplements.  You can get pretty cheap co q 10 in the right form at Puritan Pride.com….they always do throw ins so the price is much better.  Read the article on this website and it explains what type is best.  Puritan definately carries it.

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

# 19 ]

December 18, 2011, 05:58 PM

MJ-

Ya I agree 100% that consistancy with whatever regime you choose is huge. Time and money are the biggest things, and being in university I have limited amounts of both lol. I’ve been thinking alot about it recently, and I think Im getting close to something that I can sustain for awhile. I’ve always been super active and a health nut, so I guess I’ll just have to keep that up in terms of lifestyle. Stress for one thing though has always been my kryptonite -thinking of taking Immortals/Nids supplement plan to help that now that I know more about it.

Neutron-

Honestly, I have had the beleif in my head that I can get it all back since the loss is very recent and very mild, but that Im sure is just from my inexperience lol. But slowing it down and thickening it up is fine with me too, since the future of hairloss science looks quite promising. Just gotta hold on as long as I can. Im really leaning on stopping the Nizoral because of the dry itchy feeling, and the SLS in it which is not helpful at all.

After gathering more info, I think Im going to go with:

Nid and Immortal’s supplement line/their shampoo/the topical
LLLT (excited for this one!)
Beta-Sitosterols (need to fix that cholesterol problem)
Herbal Glo conditioner
A boar bristle brush

The most important thing is that as of right now, I can sustain it financially for over a year. I’ll let you know when I start, and I appreciate all the time everyones put into replying and helping me out, I cant thank you guys enough!

-Benjamin Franklin

-W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 20 ]

December 19, 2011, 09:59 PM

Im sure the financial aspect is very tough at your age.  Maybe keep it basic with a few important supplements and the laser helmet. Also, you can try the topical zinc/ b6 which is very cheap.  Stay basic and focus on being consistent with it for at least 6-12 months. 

Good luck.

IGNORE

Dobika

RankRank

Total Posts: 24

# 21 ]

January 08, 2012, 12:16 PM

I’m going to go even more basic to the original question, “if I knew at 18 what I know now”.

I would have eaten a much better diet, used quality shampoo, drank more water and less beer and soft

drinks..

I think all the candy, fast food, soft drinks, hydrogenated food and lack of fruits and vegetables somehow

contributed to a lifetime struggle with hair loss.

To me, once you start hair loss it’s very difficult to stop it or reverse it.  It can be done but it’s like

stopping the Titanic from hitting the iceberg.

IGNORE

dZine

RankRank

Total Posts: 80

# 22 ]

January 08, 2012, 04:17 PM

My hairloss started when I was 18 (when I look back at the pictures), now I am 23 and it has become serious.
I have always had quite a good, healthy diet (since I did alot in sports) but still struggling hair loss…Your diet is (of course) not the complete deal.

Question is, when I would have been addicted to hamburgers, coke and beer, would it be worse by now?

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

# 23 ]

January 08, 2012, 08:34 PM

Whats really crazy is that you can have people who are extrememly healthy, even going so far as to avoid glutan and sugar all together who have hairloss, at the same time that you have people who abuse their bodies with excess everything and have no problems with it at all.

Diet seems to have varying degrees of importance depending on what you EXACT body chemistry and cause of hairloss is. Which we all know is really hard to gather.

-Benjamin Franklin

-W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

Dobika

RankRank

# 24 ]

January 21, 2012, 12:57 PM

Good point Superman!  I know it’s genetic to a degree too but when you see a homeless guy with a terrible diet, addicted to drugs and alcohol and he has an incredibly thick head of hair it doesn’t seem fair.

I have been experimenting with Bragg"s ACV both as a daily rinse and drinking it.  I am happy with the results so far.  The effectiveness of ACV is probably a combination of dietary (nutrient rich), ability to detoxify the body and also it’s cleansing ability but it has worked for me.  I’m getting a few vellus hairs but it has stopped all abnormal fallout and has made my hair look fuller and healthier.  I also use nioxin shampoo and take the Nioxin supplement.

Keep trying, don’t give up!

IGNORE

scottyc33

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 141

# 25 ]

May 10, 2012, 10:40 PM

Dobika - January 08, 2012, 12:16 PM

I’m going to go even more basic to the original question, “if I knew at 18 what I know now”.

I would have eaten a much better diet, used quality shampoo, drank more water and less beer and soft

drinks..

I think all the candy, fast food, soft drinks, hydrogenated food and lack of fruits and vegetables somehow

To me, once you start hair loss it’s very difficult to stop it or reverse it.  It can be done but it’s like

THIS.

If I could go back in time, I would teach the younger, naive version of myself, how I was sowing the seeds of my own destruction by ingesting crap on a daily basis.

I would also stress the importance of keeping an open mind to holistic treatments and caution against any solutions offered by the BIG PHARMA drug pushers.

IGNORE

Mastery

RankRank

Total Posts: 234

# 26 ]

June 02, 2012, 10:28 PM

scottyc33 - May 10, 2012, 10:40 PM

Dobika - January 08, 2012, 12:16 PM

drinks..

THIS.

If I could go back in time, I would teach the younger, naive version of myself, how I was sowing the seeds of my own destruction by ingesting crap on a daily basis.

I would also stress the importance of keeping an open mind to holistic treatments and caution against any solutions offered by the BIG PHARMA drug pushers.

Yes, exactly - you are what you eat. And go to IH’s forum and read posts by jdp and A>R.

Buy an LLLT Helmet from OMG.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 27 ]

June 09, 2012, 08:30 PM

Superman777….man I am so sorry I missed this thread and am coming on it so late. I love this question! First I have to complement you on the wisdom you are displaying at such a young age by even asking such a question.

Now opinions vary so I’ll give you mine for what it’s worth.

The first issue is compliance. It’s not what you do in the next 6 months that will really matter that much. It’s what you do over the next decade. In my opinion the easiest thing to be compliant with is a good shampoo. I would get one that contains ketoconazole. Use it as many days a week as possible. We pretty much KNOW it works to some degree.

It’s also fairly easy to be compliant with an old substance hardly anyone ever talks about anymore….polysorbate 80. There are some variations of this formula on the site and it is often used in conjunction with Laser therapy. I’ll just speak about the old formula and the old way it was used. You simply apply it to your scalp 5-10 minutes before showering. Then you shower it out of your hair. I’m convinced it is helpful.

Next I would look seriously into a topical where you believe in the efficacy of the treatment. Of course I’m partial to Super Zix II. But whatever you decide on you need to believe in it so that you use it long enough to make a difference. Another option is minoxidil….this is a substance people will remain compliant with because we know it works to some degree. However minox sort of “squeezes” out some extra hair but it really doesn’t treat the underlining condition which in my opinion is DHT. So I would recommend a minoxidil additive that I manufacture called Hair Muck. That way you have some decent efficacy that you will be reducing DHT levels in the scalp while you’re still enjoying the temporary benefits of minoxidil. Minox can have systemic side effects though. Personally I can take a bath in the stuff and not feel any systemic side effects.

A Laser helmet is also a great idea. Though initially expensive, over a decade it becomes very very cheap. The scientific efficacy is there along with tons of positive testimonials. 20 minutes 3 times a week makes it fairly easy to remain compliant. Especially when you can read a book or watch TV while you’re doing it.

Next I would focus on aerobic exercise. This will slow down metabolic rate. Slow metabolic rate and you slow the whole aging process. Slow the aging process down and you slow hair loss down. I do not believe there is a supplement known to man more powerful than exercise. I am also a bigger fan of the antiaging properties of aerobics over weight training…...however you should know I am in the minority on this opinion.

Then you can look into some supplements. But remember….whatever you do ask yourself if you are willing to continue using the stuff over an extended period of time. So many of us start out with a complicated regimen only to abandon it because it gets to be expensive and it becomes a pain in the ass. Also NOTHING WORKS THAT GREAT. Furthermore you have no real way of knowing how well something is working. You don’t get to somehow compare your hair 5 years down the line using your regimen with an identical twin that has not used your regimen.

I hope this is of some help to you. Best of luck. Thanks for a great question and starting such a great thread!

IGNORE

Dobika

RankRank

# 28 ]

June 10, 2012, 08:37 AM

Excellent reply Zix!  Great advice!  I’m just going to throw in my two cents.  It’s very important to cut out or dramatically reduce sugar, deep fried foods and pretty much all junk foods.  Eat whole grain products, not refined stuff, it makes a huge difference and like your mother always said “eat your fruits and vegetables.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 29 ]

June 11, 2012, 01:36 PM

Thanks Dobika. Hey you used to be over at the regrowth forum didn’t you? Anyway, welcome to the forum.

IGNORE

Dobika

RankRank

# 30 ]

June 12, 2012, 11:54 AM

Good memory Zix!  I consider myself experienced more than knowledgeable so I don’t post a lot. Thanks for the reply.

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

Total Posts: 81

# 31 ]

June 16, 2012, 07:39 PM

Hey, I don’t post here much anymore, but I still read some of the topics, and I’ve noticed that one thing hasn’t been mentioned yet.

People have said to use a “quality shampoo”, which is great, but what I would add is, make sure that your shampoo does not contain SLS. I was having good results with just the Helmet and the supplements (started 3 years ago), but it was when I switched to an SLS free shampoo that I really felt a huge difference.

I say “felt”, because I always used to get an itchy, tingly feeling whenever I was shedding hair. But after changing my shampoo, that feeling completely disappeared. In my case at least, I can gauge whether my shampoo is good or not by paying attention to how my scalp feels. One time last year, I switched back to another shampoo just to see what would happen, and the unpleasant feeling was back within a couple of days!

So to summarize, what worked for me was:

-I stopped using shampoos and soap that contain SLS.
-The laser helmet from OMG (pricey, but durable and SOOOOO worth it)
-the 5 supplements (decalcify and co.), which I only take once a day or even every 2 days

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

# 32 ]

July 16, 2012, 02:56 PM

Zix- You were definitly one of the people I was hoping would answer this question! Thanks for your input and your compliment. I think it was a bit of a lazy question on my part to be honest cause I didnt want to have to go through the same hell from all the trial and error like everyone else lol.

And thanks to everyone else who shed some light on their own experiences. Like a few mentioned before,  the shampoo really helps because my itching has stayed away. I had to drop the Immortal hair regime after 4 months though because of my particular job situation. I’ve been saving up for a Laser helmet though, and am almost there. With my age I should be able to do pretty well with it so Im excited. Probs another month or so of saving money from my shitty job lol.

Thanks to everyone again

-Benjamin Franklin

-W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 33 ]

July 16, 2012, 04:04 PM

No problem Superman. Good to have you on the forum. We may not have the numbers of posters that we would like but John has done a great job of making sure every single member is not an asshole. All good people here!

IGNORE

TrueGround

RankRank

Total Posts: 79

# 34 ]

July 16, 2012, 10:06 PM

Superman,

I’d like to throw out some dietary recommendations that I REALLY wish I had known about/stuck to, in regards to their effect on hair.

1.  Avoid polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA’s) as much as possible.  The hydrogenated soybean, corn, canola oils etc. that you see in just about every processed food product at the market.  It’s becoming overwhelming evident that these oils are largely responsible for a lot of health issues that the average American faces or will face.  It’s no surprise, as they contribute significant oxidative stress ans supposedly hormone and cellular energy disruption.  Incorporate reasonable levels of saturated fats (coconut oil, palm oil, butter etc.) into your diet, instead of vegetable oils.  Uncooked olive oil seems to be fine as well.

2.  Avoid gluten as much as possible (this includes whole grains).  Many are suspected to have some level of allergic reaction to a protein in traditional breads and pastas.  This can contribute to inflammation, which is a significant factor in hair loss.  I’ve recently (last 6months) switched to rice and potatoes as my primary carb source.  That lifestyle change, along with avoiding PUFA and consuming more saturated fats has definitely made a difference in pre-existing hair quality and my overall health.

3.  You’re young.  If you were like me, you liked to party and booze a decent amount in late high school and college.  While I don’t think having the occasional drink or even long night out is too detrimental, regular binge drinking certainly is.  This is becoming more and more prominent on the college scene and among your generation in general.  All I can say is, I’ve had a sneaking suspicion frequent partying contributed to my hair loss.  Excessive alcohol intake impairs liver function, which ultimately affects thyroid function, as well as makes estrogen levels soar (from what I’ve studied and experienced) - all of which seem to have significant roles in hair loss.

I will always be a firm believer that the current typical American diet and lifestyle contribute significantly towards hair loss.  Many would rebuttle this post with something like, “Well so and so that I know, eats like shit, parties his ass off and never exercises and he has an amazing head of hair!”  The Fact of the matter is, we are all more or less susceptible and sensitive genetically, hormonally etc. to certain things.

4.  Not dietary, but try and control stress as much as possible.  Slow down when you can and take a breath.  Get outside and exercise regularly etc.

5.  Also not dietary, but try your best to cope with your hair loss as much as possible and as soon as possible.  Get a laser helmet, try a couple supplements and a topical if you want and stick to a simple regimen.  Forget about everything else hair loss related and don’t let your formative years pass you by.  Date girls and if you feel the need to bring up your hair loss, do it and act like it doesn’t bother you a bit.  90% of the girls I’ve taken that approach with literally seem not to care at all.

I started losing my hair around your age and am now 24.  I’ve experienced, while good, a less than full life because of hair loss.  As you get older though, you begin to realize how insignificant it really is in the grand scheme of things.

Best of luck man,
TG

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 35 ]

August 27, 2012, 09:09 PM

Forget about everything else hair loss related and don’t let your formative years pass you by.  Date girls and if you feel the need to bring up your hair loss, do it and act like it doesn’t bother you a bit.  90% of the girls I’ve taken that approach with literally seem not to care at all.

This is great advice. This is where I made a major mistake in my life. I’ve sinced realized you can’t let the loss of hair transfer to a loss of confidence. It is this lack of confidence that women will find the most unattractive, not the loss of hair.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.