Fighting crown thinning

Share/Bookmark

marb

RankRank

Total Posts: 81

December 28, 2011, 02:03 PM

I had a transplant 4 years 6 months ago in the frontal area which is still looking good. I take fin tabs and minoxidil 5% with hairmuck. I really hate the Minoxidil as now I have grown my hair longer it makes a mess of the hair. I have been on Minox for a few years and it hasn’t grown hair on the crown. In fact, even with hair muck (which I thought would crack it) there is a balding patch on the back of my crwon that I was horrified to see the other day for the first time in a while. I never look because I know I will get depressed but for some reason in a changing room in a store I could see with the two mirrors. It’s a horrible feeling when you see it’s worse than you imagine. Even worse, your friends and family have seen this all along.

I can’t afford another procedure so I really need to know if LLT and anything else will stop this and get it back if possible. I would say on a norwood I am mild to moderate. One thing I think has helped is wetting my hair first thing in a sink of cold water which I later hang off the end of the bed and massage which rushes blood. Perhaps I would be balder if I didn’t do all these things but I really need to do something fast before it gets worse and my depression sets in as I get terrible bouts this time of year anyway :-(

I notice a new product here by immortal but it’s way too expensive for me just now. I think the LLT is number one on my priority. I was going to buy some diodes from OMG but obviously that can’t happen right now so if anyone is selling a helmet/diodes or can direct me to a good deal I would feel at least I am doing something. I do have some doubts as I never really see or read any evidence of success (except from the clinics) but I am willing to give it a go.

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

Total Posts: 246

# 1 ]

December 28, 2011, 04:34 PM

other guys on this site can direct you to evidence, in fact, it would be nice if there was a permanent article on this site devoted to the evidence so newbies can read up.  But yes, LLLT works.  It won’t regrow a full head of hair, but like the other “proven” treatments, it will help a majority of people who use it.  But as always, there are those that do not respond.  I would say the far majority of people have benefits from LLLT that actualize as a healthier itch free scalp, nicer fuller looking hair, and a cessation of the hair loss cycle. Probably only a lucky few see moderate regrowth.  LLLT will also set you back somewhere between $600 to $1200 as a one time investment. Though that sounds like a lot, there are no long term costs. 

Have you tried dutasteride?  It’s more effective than propecia and may take care of your problem.  Ending minox is a bitch, I’ve experimented with it myself, and always lose a lot of hair when I stop, but I’m glad I’m not using it anymore.

Most guys on this site are here because they do not like any of those treatments and are convinced that there is a better, natural way to beat hair loss.  They might be right, I’d say the final verdict is still out, but there are a lot of guys here that are happy with this approach.  I prefer a combination of the two, and believe that propecia is an effective, albeit slightly risky, treatment.  I take 1.25 mg every other day, and use a natural topical and LLLT.  My regimen is below:

1.25 mg finesteride
30 min LLLT 3x week (only 8o lasers on a stand)
Rejuveplex (nid’s topical) 1.5 droppers once a day

This is a new regimen, but it feels good right now.  My hair looks good, still thin in a few areas, but easily covered up with hair fibers.

Tried a lot of things, never stuck with anything. Don’t do that

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

# 2 ]

December 28, 2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks, at least there are some choices. As you can imagine I am reluctant to come off minox for the reasons you mention but I would like to go for a more natural approach. I did try dutasteride a few years ago but never got any results. If it’s better than fin I could switch to it again though. I have just got some caboki hair fibers that do a great job at covering but real hair would be a better option.

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

# 3 ]

December 29, 2011, 11:09 AM

I mispoke…by hair fibers I meant the fiber products that are out there.  I don’t think there is a real “hair” fiber option.

Coming off minox is hard to do, but I came to the realization that it had to be done.  I wasn’t going to stay on it forever. I have kids and dogs, and honestly, it’s poisonous to them.  when I looked at it from that perspective it was a pretty easy decision.  But you will definitely lose some ground when you decide to stop using it.

FYI, DS Labs came out with a newer version of minox,  it’s called nanoxidil and claims to be as effective with no side effects.  Could be another option.  It’s a restructured molecule with one less carbon.

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

# 4 ]

December 29, 2011, 02:54 PM

What if I come gradual from Minox ? Wouldn’t the ground I lose be recovered with LLT and another product in time ?

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

# 5 ]

December 29, 2011, 03:29 PM

There’s no study that I know of that could support a yes or no answer to that.  I would think a gradual tapering off would help, but I’ve heard OMG reference this before and I remember him suggesting cold turkey was the way to go.  Just jump into the cold water kind of thinking.

As for your reference to time, that’s tough to say and it would depend a lot on how well you respond to whatever other treatment you choose.  Odds are, you would have a shed from stopping minox which may not occur for a few months after stopping it.  And this could be coupled with a shed caused by your new treatment once it starts working. So in the short term you could be facing a worse scenario than you have now, but in the long run (realistically a year down the road) you could be much happier.  It’s always a tough call.

Maybe you should try one of the premium minox formulas before giving up on it.  DS Labs gets good reviews as do several others on amazon.com.  i would check them out if you have no aversion to continuing minox…good luck with your decision.

IGNORE

Mastery

RankRank

Total Posts: 234

# 6 ]

January 07, 2012, 08:40 PM

Read the ph Miracle…  Trust me, it has some excellent information on diet and so forth.

Also knock back your inflammation by eating cabbage and onions, lots of it. Handstand pushups may help as you’ve had success upside down-ish.

Also ocean water may be beneficial for you, as part of an overall program.

My golden rules of things I know work are as follows:  Clean environment, great diet (no sugar, grains or dairy = inflammation = loss), do all you can to minimize stress, Immortal’s supps (inc chelation supps., eg Morningstar 77 Minerals), LLLT, GO ALKALINE, the ocean and topicals to ensure minimal scalp infections - and RIFE to kill the pathogens internally.  Good luck.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.