Newbie Questions

Share/Bookmark

starr

Rank

Total Posts: 13

January 03, 2012, 01:37 AM

Hi everyone, I’m new here and hoping to create a solution to my hair loss thru LLLT.

After quitting Proscar (finasteride) a few years ago [after taking for 8 years], I’ve noticed increased hair loss and decided to look back into the world of hair loss solutions. I nearly bought a laser comb but by doing further research, I fell upon OMG’s website as well as this one.

What intrigues me about things like the iGrow Helmet and SuperGrow Domes is that they actually offer a money back garantee if I dont see results within a few months. So how can these products be ineffective?  I read everything on OMG’s website and understand the principles explained. I just dont understand that if they are ineffective how they can offer that garantee, and at the same time, why dont we have a money-back garantee with OMG’s custom made helmets?

Also on the subject of the OMG helmets (Laser Messiah I think they are called), it would be nice to see a page or thread JUST with testimonials. I am a bit concerned seeing people selling their units… I mean if Im going to spend 1000$ + on a helmet that will not get me results, then I will probably feel more confident paying 700$ on a dome with a money-back garantee…

Finally, I’ve also looked around the site for before/after pics…yes, I know hair can be photoshopped…and as much as Im interested in OMG’s helmet, I can’t seem to find pictures of him PRIOR to the using the helmet. I’m looking for a pic so that I have a visual of someone I can relate to (who has experienced thinning hair like mine) and so that I can feel that much more comfortable with making the significant purchase.  It’s truly not the best time for me financially, but I feel like the clock is ticking for the hair (I dont want any more to fall into terminal phase..). I want to get started ASAP.

Any comments and feedback greatly appreciated.
Cheers

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

Total Posts: 121

# 1 ]

January 03, 2012, 03:31 AM

First of all, ANY laser device within the correct spectrum, used for the proper amount of time will give results. Thats why they can offer a gaurantee. 650nm is 650nm. Dont let anybody tell you that their laser device has “magic diodes.” Dont listen to anyone who sais those devices you listed dont work. You dont need to see before and afters for every single laser device. They all work under the same principle. If you have seen one you have seen them all. (assuming there is a decent amount of diodes)

The REAL difference between an OMG Laser Messiah and those other devices is Value. The more diodes the better. Lets say you have 800 dollars to spend on a laser device. You are going to get more diodes with a Laser Messiah for the price than any other device. Remember there is a window of stimulation you have to hit to see results. One of the devices you listed has 60 diodes. It will take 60 diodes significantly longer to give you adequate stimulation than say a 250 diode device.

Another advantage of the LM is that if a diode burns out you can simply unwire it from the bundle, remove it and replace it. You dont have to worry about taking anything apart, soldering, or anything like that.

Another possible advantage is that there has been a pulsing device made specifically for the LM, allowing us to convert the devices to pulsing devices instead of a constant wave devices. No one knows as of yet if this will produce noticeable benefits, however there is evidence and speculation that it will.

I do not support OMG or his device is a biased way whatsoever. You can be sure everything ive said is legitimate and un-biased.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 2 ]

January 03, 2012, 04:31 PM

Hey, Starr!

I’m nowhere close to 100% yet so I’m probably not going to give the best answers here, but I’ll try!  I’m also heavily on hydrocodone pain killers and it really makes me uncreative, and it makes it harder for me to do the fine nuances of communication.  So, if what I’m saying sounds weird, too harsh, not harsh enough, whatever, blame it on me having to be on heavy drugs for the past three weeks!

It’s really interesting… when I was in the hospital, I was getting Dilaudid every two hours into my IV and from all accounts I was the life of the party -telling jokes, making people laugh, etc.  I’m at home on this crap and I’m a mushhead and I couldn’t be witty to save my life!

Also, if you’ve asked me this same stuff in an email, let me know so I don’t have to take time to respond to it.  I have email out the wazoo, and it’s going to be a while before I can even start on it.

Moneyback Guarantee Hogwash

First of all, in regards to a moneyback guarantee, this is just “marketing 101”.  In the history of humanity (and just like with rebates), the chances of someone actually returning something for a refund is extremely slim, and companies know this.  It’s proven. 

Second, think about the profit they make… the iGrow is TWENTY ONE LASERS for $700, and the rest are useless LEDs.  Twenty one 5mW diodes that you can buy for $3 or something… for SEVEN HUNDERED DOLLARS$$$.  I sell a device with FOUR HUNDRED for less than twice that, and it’s infinitely harder for me to make.  They are making HUGE PROFIT MARGINS -frankly, they are making unjustifiable profit margins- so they can afford to do this even if people do occasionally return it.  Most of the people that read my overmachogrande.com site will see that and stay away from this out of principle.

Here is my position… I’m not interested in making a helmet for someone that even breathes a word about a moneyback guarantee, and here is why:  it takes six months to a year of heavy commitment to get results from laser therapy.  Period!  It makes no sense whatsoever to offer a three month moneyback guarantee, or really even a six month one.  So, I don’t sell to people that think that this is some sort of issue because it shows me that they haven’t done any research about laser therapy.  It certainly doesn’t do me any favors to have non-committed people using my device, either.  I’m just a small guy that happens to make the best laser device in the world, and I’d rather someone that would contemplate giving up the treatment before enough time had passed for results to use someone else’s device and say bad things about THEM.

In summary, I obviously don’t make enough money on this to play these types of games with people -you can do the math- and I don’t want customers that aren’t willing to use something to the extent that they know they could never get any sort of refund.  So, it works out the best for both of us for me not to do business with people that aren’t serious enough to do homework about hair cycles and results timelines.

Oh, laser Clinics can offer a moneyback guarantee because they actually can do hair counts and they know that they’ll win, and plus, they use real devices, not jokes like the iGrow.  Thought that was worthy of mention.

The iGrow isn’t on par with Laser Clinic Devices.

Here is the next part… the iGrow doesn’t work.  Well, it may work some -it’s hard to keep lasers from working- but there is no way, shape or form that it works on par with laser clinic devices, and you will be disappointed. 

Not only does the science say that it won’t work, I hear it every week now though email -and OF COURSE it doesn’t work because we already had this experiment, and I’ll explain…

Pretty much EVERYONE –including me- used to think lasers were snake oil -because of devices like this- and that’s why I had to make a site out of it once we found out that it wasn’t!  It turns out there are definitely devices that work (but they are too expensive, which is why I’m here), and there are definitely devices that don’t work -and I wanted to figure out what the reasons were.

We had always heard of these mystical laser clinic devices, but there was so little public information on them a few years back that we didn’t really understand 1) if there was a difference between the devices you buy for personal use and the devices in those laser clinics, and 2) if there was a difference, then what that difference was.  Plus, we always heard rumors of fantastic results from laser clinic devices and yet no one [credible] in the forums had every had any real results with the personal devices.

Well, I looked into it and found that, yes, people were getting results from the expensive machines, and after looking into it for months the only difference was COVERAGE.  The laser clinic devices were able to deliver more coverage and more even amounts of laser energy to the scalp than hand held devices.  I took that information, improved upon it, and I guess here we are and the rest is pretty much history. 

We had dozens of people in the forums in 2007 and 2008 trying different designs, and the “laser messiah” helmet that I use and build now is sort of the end result of all the key concepts that we found with successful laser therapy.  That’s why these designs -although fairy crazy looking- are much superior to I think anything else out there, and it was made in the opposite way that most things are. Most companies make a device and “spin” everything or make up facts to make it seem like their device is superior.  The Laser Messiah was the END RESULT –not the begging, or whatever was easiest for us to build, or what looked the most high tech, etc. (there are even some with mp3 players now!).

By the way, the “key concepts” are pretty simple now that we are in the land of 20/20 hindsight, and it’s not a secret (in fact, my whole site is geared towards getting that secret out)... put a bunch of lasers together in the largest area you can, arrange them in a way that minimizes gaps and overlaps with the laser footprint, elevate them off of the scalp for greater coverage (we found this was extremely important, by the way), try to keep them as close to the same height off of the scalp as possible so the energy level will be even across the area, and use it at a time calculated to get right in the middle of the “window of energy”! It’s as simple as that! ...And really hard to do easily, which is why I suppose it’s not done like this by others!

...And it’s DEFINITELY not done by these $600-$700 mass marketed things like the igrow or lasermax or whatever.  I’m sure those devices will have some results -I always like to say that “It’s HARD to keep lasers from working -the HAIRMAX even has FDA approval!”- but it’s not on the par of professional laser devices.

Buy it if you want to.  You won’t get results like most of us with Laser Messiahs.  I’ve posted the comparison pictures between the two helmets before, and I suppose I’d better do that again one more time:

igrow-comparison.png

One of these devices follows scientific principles of getting proper, even amounts of energy to as much of the scalp as you can.  One doesn’t.  I’ll let you determine which.

People selling their Laser Helmets…

This is just silly.  I’ve made and sold 1000 of these helmets.  That’s a lot of helmets.  You’ve seen four or however many people selling their helmets and you’re a bit concerned?  That’s ridiculous.

Bear with me… I’m not knocking you, I’m just saying that it is indeed absolutely, patently ridiculous to come to that conclusion, and you’ve stumbled onto the first part of why forums are AWFUL, by the way.  People focus in on what they want to see (or what they fear the most, or whatever), and it gets magnified.  You see a very small amount of people selling a laser helmet for a wide variety of different reasons, and your brain takes the extra step and erroneously thinks that EVERYBODY is selling their helmet when almost NOBODY is.  Everybody makes this mistake in any sort of forum, and it’s extremely interesting why we all do it, but we do -and it’s wrong.

Proof

The second part of why forums are awful is that we’ve had a page for YEARS with positive testimonials all in one spot that includes my before/after pictures.  In fact, it has been on several different forums, and we’ve linked to it here many times.  Yet… it’s hard to find because it gets pushed off the main pages.

So, I’ll give you links to that info, but just go forward knowing that you shouldn’t make judgments based on what is easy to find in forums because it can be very, very wrong!  For example: you had no clue that I’ve made 1000 helmets -nobody knows that, I don’t share that!  So, there is way more to the picture than you know!

I’m going to post a PDF of the positive testimonials thread because I have no idea if it’s still intact at the other sites, and I haven’t moved it here yet.  Here it is:

Positive Laser Testimonials

Here are mine, and the formatting isn’t my fault, it was that particular site’s -just zoom in:
OMG’s 10 Month Before/After Pictures

JDP710 did most of this in about a 10 month period in 2009, and it was just one after another after another after another.  We stopped collecting them in about October 2009 because of a lot of upheavals at other forums.  We moved to this one in 2010, but I haven’t collected them here yet.  There are plenty buried away on this site, too -and hardly any negative ones.

I haven’t made an effort to collect pictures or testimonials because 1) I don’t have a clinic, and home-taken pictures and clinic pictures are completely apples to oranges, and 2) I can’t ethically share my email, almost all of my helmets are made from people exclusively that do not post in forums (or even read them), and I have a policy of not asking people to post in the forums because this forum would absolutely be overrun with nothing but laser helmet talk, and that’s not the point of this site. 

As far as the first part, this video explains why home pictures are not like clinic pictures: 
Education about before/after pictures -in particular about the shortcomings of digital cameras…

Home pictures are pretty much useless because we all like to shine light directly on our heads to show as much as we can, and our little point-and-shoot cameras can’t deal with the contrast.  I don’t feel like going into this more because it’s too technical, but you have to trust me.  Hair Loss Clinic/Study pictures are done much differently, and done with $2000+ cameras, and there is a big reason for that.  Their way actually shows results!

Anyway, I haven’t made a long post like this in quite some time, and all of it is OLD INFO, but I suppose it’s good for me to answer questions like this every once and a while!

Good luck searching for information!  I’m spent!

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

dZine

RankRank

Total Posts: 80

# 3 ]

January 03, 2012, 05:42 PM

non-topic related but HAVE to state it here…
O.M.G, it is good to have you back (or at least most of you;))!

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 4 ]

January 03, 2012, 06:39 PM

Ha ha!  Thanks, dZine!  I can’t wait until the hit-by-a-Mack-Truck feeling goes away!  Couple of more weeks probably!

Of course, based on the current stats I now have the extra burden of knowing that with hereditary pancreatitis (which they *think* I have) there is a greater than 1 in 3 chance that I’ll get pancreatic cancer (almost always fatal) and die before I’m 75, but hey… now I have the benefit of KNOWING THAT so I can do things to ensure that this doesn’t happen!

Laser blood irradiation is one thing I’m going to start doing a lot -that reduces all over body inflammation.  I’m probably going to get a few 20mW diodes and make a wrist band and do it that way (instead of shoving diodes up my nose… I HATE THAT!), and of course use the pulse device as well.  I don’t know what frequency yet, but I’ll look into frequencies that reduce inflammation!  When I do that, I’ll make another thread about the benefits of laser blood irradiation because they are phenomenal.

I’m getting a Rife soon, too!  I wanted one anyway, but now I have a good excuse.

Thanks again!

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

Rosariorose9

RankRank

Total Posts: 101

# 5 ]

January 03, 2012, 10:46 PM

Wow, it IS great to see you back!  But enough with those long posts.  Conserve your energy, my friend, for the Laser Babe AND the Laser Baby (and heaven knows the latter will drain every ounce of energy you have!).  There will be plenty of time over the next few months to catch up on your posting…

IGNORE

kphilly

Rank

Total Posts: 2

# 6 ]

January 04, 2012, 10:50 AM

Starr, do yourself a favor and buy a Laser Messiah as soon as OMG gets back to production!!!  Take it from me, THE LASER MESSIAH works and I’ll tell you how I came to that conclusion!  History: 45 yr old female diagnosed with TE and AGA brought on by stress in Sept of 09.  Allergic to Minox, Spiro and just about every med.  Caused heart palpitations.  Only hope left was to try laser therapy.

Mistake No. 1: purchased a Hairmax Laser comb for $375.  Biggest joke ever.  No sensation, no heat from the comb, no decrease in shedding, NOTHING.  Did that for 6 months, ditched it.

March 2010, I purchased a years worth of laser therapy at a clinic (laser they used was the Revage 670).  Little did I know it was the best $3,000 I had ever spent.  Went 2 times a week for a year.  Hair thickened AND had regrowth but I was discouraged because I continued to shed during the entire year.  The technicians told me that my hair loss would subside in 3 months but obviously they weren’t knowledgeable about the various cycles of hairgrowth so I assumed the therapy wasn’t working.  Plus the owner of the clinic also experienced hair loss and was undergoing laser treatment so I figured if my hair was eventually going to look like hers it wasn’t worth the money.  Come to find out, her hairloss had started years before she purchased the Revage for her clinic and she hadn’t stuck to her regimen religiously.  Anyway, after my year was up in March 2011, I couldn’t afford to continue the treatment of about $200 a month to go once twice a month so I stopped laser therapy (Mistake No. 2).

From March until October 2011, I have lost probably more than 50% of my hair, more like 60%.  During that time I used a new so-called treatment for hairloss (another joke TRX2 Mistake No. 3) My nape is totally gone, my sides are extremely thin and my hair hardly had any weight to it.  I then realized that laser therapy had saved my hair despite it being trashed by people on all the other forums.  (Mistake No. 4) I purchased the I-grow from the clinic because they said it was equivalent to the Revage as long as I used it everyday.  Again, NOTHING.  No sensation, no heat, NOTHING.  Got the I-grow for $695 but was told if I returned the Hairmax laser comb they would give me $100 off the I-grow.  When I returned the laser comb during my purchase, the owner threw the laser comb in the trash can right in front of me.  Goes to show what they think of the laser comb.  I searched and searched and searched for affordable laser therapy and came across Worldhairloss.org.  End of Oct I purchased a laser messiah (415 diode) at half price from a woman who said it didn’t work for her after only 4 months of use.  That’s why it hadn’t worked for her, she didn’t stick to it. I restarted my treatment and already have noticed within just 2 months that my part is no longer shiny. I am a diffuse thinner and I’ve heard that women with diffuse thinning respond very well to laser therapy.  I can only imagine how my hair will respond in a year if I’m noticing changes this soon.  Please invest in the laser messiah.  It’s equivalent to the Revage in the privacy of your own home.  I’m enjoying being able to catch up on Seasons 1-5 of Dexter while wearing my helmet and chillen in the crib.  You won’t be sorry and the last thing you’ll want to do is return it!!!

IGNORE

Calbruin

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

# 7 ]

January 04, 2012, 01:02 PM

Starr-

I stand nothing to gain by mentioning this but I felt the need to chime in, only due to my successful results having used the device for 2 years. Put quite simpy, this is the best of breed out there, and by far the most advanced treatment you will find. I would recommend before you begin to compare all the other devices, you read OMG’s personal website cover to cover and then do the homework yourself. I was not sold at first, and it took many weeks before it was clear to me that this was the best option out there (I even visited a laser clinic which strongly reinforced my decision/opinions)- I have never regretted it since.

Calbruin

IGNORE

needsomehair

Rank

Total Posts: 3

# 8 ]

January 04, 2012, 01:45 PM

I want to buy an OMG Helmet today… Like Starr I feel like my hair is leaving me and I want to get something to fix it soon… Can someone contact me with price of the OMG Helmet… OMG happy to speak with your wife smile... Just want a helmet.

IGNORE

starr

Rank

# 9 ]

January 06, 2012, 11:55 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback about my humble questions. And thanks OMG for taking the time to address in such detail my questions, and for providing valuable links. It really helped me understand everything. I did send you an email as well in the last days of December (metrosuperstar), so you dont really need to reply. At this point, I am confident that this is by far the best solution for me and I am TOTALLY committed to using this device religiously. Wearing a helmet for 3 times a week while doing something I enjoy is an easy thing to implement. I know you are not top shape yet, so Im not sure when you would be able to start production of it, but I would like very much to touch base with you via email to establish the specs and get an exact price. I will send u a quick email just so you know its me.  Cheers!

IGNORE

starr

Rank

# 10 ]

January 06, 2012, 06:09 PM

Well today, I took the final step in doing my research. I went to a hair loss clinic and got an assessment. I learned a few things… First off, Im apparently lucky that my crown is not that bad compared to my receiding hairline. Apparently, this is due to the fact that I was on finasteride for 10 years, so it slowed it down. (and all along I thought finasteride was also acting on the rest of my head!). It was also interesting to see close up pics (microscopic) of my hair follicles. It was a bit depressing to see what will not grow back (shiny spots) but encouraging to see some telagen follicles that stand a chance. The technician (or doctor) was helpful… and he was impressed with my research. I asked about the lasers used, the specs, etc… I just didnt tell him I had no intention of signing up because I would be purchasing a Laser Messiah lol. He told me the Sunetics machine only has 138 diodes. I was shocked.  The program consisted of 3 times a week only for the first month, after which I am to go to the clinic less times but complement that with a useless laser comb. Um…yeah. The comb was 700$ and the 12 month program was 3000$. There was also a carbonhydroxy add-on which are injections for the first phase to kick start the restoring process. He said I shouldnt wait too long to get started though (and I agree because in the last year it has really started getting worse and I dont want any more hair follicles to become those shiny spots that cannot be brought back to life).

Interestingly, he said that after my 12 month program, my hair loss would be stabilized and I would not lose hair for another 10-15 years. (without maintenance???).  Something doesnt seem right about that… Im planning on getting the Messiah and using it for life. Can anyone comment?

Im even more excited now to order my Laser Messiah and start my treatments. smile

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

Total Posts: 121

# 11 ]

January 07, 2012, 04:26 AM

I have heard OMG state that the so called “maintenance phase” or in your case that the hair loss will “stablilize”  is complete BS. Its all marketing and it makes perfect sense. No hair clinic is going to tell you that you have to pay 3,000 dollars a year, every year, for the rest of your life. Instead they have to fabricate these fairy-tale fantasies so they can drive home in Ferraris. Tell that bitch you dont believe in santa-claus, or his BS marketings schemes.

As far as the 138 diodes goes. In my opinion the clinical devices can use less diodes because the diodes are further away from the scalp. Allowing the light to disperse. If you were to put 300 diodes a couple inches from the scalp like a clinical device; you would get overlap. With the Laser Messiah the diodes are about 3/4 of an inch from the scalp, and thus disperse less. This creates the need for more diodes to get adequate coverage. Its all about coverage.

Maybe there is more to this. You will have to ask OMG.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.