RepliCel - A cell-based solution to hair loss?

Share/Bookmark

Steve-O

Rank

Total Posts: 2

January 03, 2012, 05:25 PM

Hi all!

Well this is my first post here in the wonderful WHL forums and I must admit I’ve learned quite a lot.  I finally decided to chime in on the discussion with a company I’ve been following called RepliCel.  They claim that they have finally created a viable cell-based solution to hair loss.  I was wondering if anyone else had heard of them and what they think of the idea.  Is it too good to be true?  I hate always being so skeptical but they are apparently going to release their study results this March and we’ll be able to see how effective this technique really is.

For those of you curious about all of the technical jargon and to see some of their videos explaining the process check out www.replicel.com.

In the meantime, time to fire up that Laser Messiah!

IGNORE

dZine

RankRank

Total Posts: 80

# 1 ]

January 03, 2012, 05:38 PM

I believe this has come by already, or I have read up on it on a different forum…

Anyhow, yes the whole idea and technique sounds very interesting and promising.
It is still in testing phase and should hit the market around 2014.

What scares me is the absolute silence about any of the pricing info..
As they currently send the cells to a specialized lab in Switzerland Europe I think it will be off the charts…
On the other hand, this technique should allow faster and easier implantation of hairs compaired to a traditional hair transplant. It is all about the market..

As they currently hold the patent, they will charge you for that. I believe the inventor mentioned in an interview that they will resell the license to clinics who would like to use it.
I guess if this technique does what it says it does…it will take away a big area of the traditional hair transplant market, therefore becoming a mass process and hopefully dropping in prince…

Let’s hope for the best:D

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

Total Posts: 246

# 2 ]

January 03, 2012, 05:47 PM

great video, very interesting, but the use of “can” and “anticipated’ clearly shows that this is science fiction.  They spent a lot of money on that video, I’m guessing their goal was to attract investors.  But, i guess we can always hope that this time it will work.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll definitely read their study in March and would love for this to be true, but they wouldn’t be the first company to have great ideas that go no where.

Tried a lot of things, never stuck with anything. Don’t do that

IGNORE

Mastery

RankRank

Total Posts: 234

# 3 ]

January 03, 2012, 06:43 PM

I doubt this one will be fiction. I have met the Principals. I wish them nothing but the greatest success. Given the quality of people involved this may work. I have no financial interest in it, nor do I have any financial dealings of any kind with any of the principals.

If anyone wishes to get involved, please let me know. Given I am very peripheral to this company, I can not promise anything to any forum members, but would certainly listen to any requests - although I may not be able to act on them. However the more requests I get, you never know… If I do not get back to you promptly please understand I have a heavy work load and travel a great deal and only come on here infrequently.

Does IH know about this, someone should post there to see their reaction?

M

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

Total Posts: 121

# 4 ]

January 03, 2012, 10:31 PM

Does anybody know how many other companies like this there are?

IGNORE

TrueGround

RankRank

Total Posts: 79

# 5 ]

January 04, 2012, 10:26 PM

Histogen and Aderans are two other companies that are making strides in cellular hair replacement/regrowth technologies.

Replicel, Histogen and Aderans are all using different techniques as well.  So, there IS completion between these companies and that IS a good thing for us consumers.  Competition creates a stronger sense of urgency to get a product to the market, a stronger need for an effective product and better prices for the consumer.

MJ,

The use of the words “can” and “anticipated” have no implication on wether these companies’ technologies are science fiction or not.  They have to use those words for their own protection.  They can’t say their product “WILL” regrow hair, because we are still waiting on trial results.

I truly believe one (particularly Replicel), if not all of these companies will offer game changing solutions for hair loss sufferers.  If not any of these companies, I would be absolutely shocked if a treatment or cure is not available in our lifetime through some other entity.  The only question is WHEN..?

IGNORE

kphilly

Rank

# 6 ]

January 04, 2012, 10:44 PM

There’s also Follica, Inc. and Celtigen Therapeutics.

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

Total Posts: 246

# 7 ]

January 06, 2012, 01:18 AM

exactly….until it’s proven otherwise, it’s fiction to me. They can’t use those words because they can’t prove it works. Those videos are made for investors and stock price, not regular people.  Would be great news if it did work but i highly doubt it will be as effective as the video would like people to infer.  Nothing to date has ever come close in actual results to the hype that preceded it.  But like I said, it’s interesting and definitely adds to the overall conversation. It’s always good to know that there are people out there looking at innovative ways to deal with this, and you’re right, eventually somebody will figure it out.

Mastery,
In general terms, what is it that you do for a living?  It’s interesting that you would have peripheral contact with companies like this.

Tried a lot of things, never stuck with anything. Don’t do that

IGNORE

halfempty

RankRank

Total Posts: 58

# 8 ]

January 07, 2012, 05:11 PM

After seeing shit like this on the forums for over 10 years, I just laugh at it now, I don’t even pay attention to it. THE SHIT DOES NOT PAN OUT.

IGNORE

Mastery

RankRank

Total Posts: 234

# 9 ]

January 07, 2012, 08:33 PM

halfempty - January 07, 2012, 05:11 PM

After seeing shit like this on the forums for over 10 years, I just laugh at it now, I don’t even pay attention to it. THE SHIT DOES NOT PAN OUT.

I would not count on that…:-)

IGNORE

halfempty

RankRank

Total Posts: 58

# 10 ]

January 07, 2012, 09:35 PM

I guess I could be positive about it but I just have such a negative view of the whole situation. I hope your optimism is accurate but I am not holding my breath. I have heard others post on message boards on their certainty of the efficacy of these stem cell treatments and how they will come out in the next few years. It hasn’t happened yet. And yes, I am completely jaded.

Even if this turned out to be effective. I can’t see us having access to it for at least another 20 years. 20 years is really nothing when you think about it.

IGNORE

Steve-O

Rank

# 11 ]

January 09, 2012, 04:17 PM

halfempty - January 07, 2012, 09:35 PM

I guess I could be positive about it but I just have such a negative view of the whole situation. I hope your optimism is accurate but I am not holding my breath. I have heard others post on message boards on their certainty of the efficacy of these stem cell treatments and how they will come out in the next few years. It hasn’t happened yet. And yes, I am completely jaded.

Even if this turned out to be effective. I can’t see us having access to it for at least another 20 years. 20 years is really nothing when you think about it.

Yes but these aren’t stem cells they’re using, they are dermal sheath cup cells.  Apparently they have been developing this treatment for nearly ten years.

Mastery, as mj asked, how are you connected to the company?  What kind of requests in particular would you be able to pass on to the principals?

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.