Creatine and Hair loss

Share/Bookmark

dZine

RankRank

Total Posts: 80

January 09, 2012, 07:55 AM

What is your opinion about the relation between Creatine and hair loss?

I have read a study which states that it does not influence hormonal levels, so no increase in DHT..but other studies say it DOES increase DHT and it does increase hair loss..
Just wondering what your opinion or even experience is on this.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 1 ]

January 09, 2012, 07:24 PM

When I took Creatine my hair loss got worse.  I believe Creatine is bad for your hair period, i.e, it will lead to rapid hair loss.  I totally believe that dht study that shows creatine increases your dht levels.  Insulin spiking and taking creatine, imo, are both very bad for your hair.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

Total Posts: 121

# 2 ]

January 09, 2012, 10:27 PM

You will never find a conclusive answer to this. Some will say its terrible, some will say its totally harmless.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 3 ]

January 09, 2012, 10:46 PM

There is no confusion.  Many people cite significant hair loss after using creatine including myself.  Studies link higher DHT with creatine use.  Dude it doesn’t get much clearer than this.  You have to remember some guys can survive a nuclear bomb and not get hair loss.  However, if you have MPB the last thing you want to do is to increase DHT levels.  Creatine is known to do this.  So why is there confusion on this matter?  Because muscle heads don’t want to give up their juice.  That is my take since it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

# 4 ]

January 09, 2012, 11:01 PM

Well i have been around in the body building forums and some will state it increased hair loss. Others will swear it doesnt. However, i can think of at least three different kinds of creatine off the top of my head. Also the dose people take varies greatly. Its also possible that the people saying it doesnt cause hair loss do not have MPB. The other variable is the other crap they put into the creatine pill / powder. As you can see this matter is very clouded.

At the end of the day i would stay off the creatine unless you can afford to experiment and risk a shed.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

# 5 ]

January 09, 2012, 11:12 PM

I just dont think creatine should be grouped in with all the “guaranteed to cause hair loss for everyone” crap.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 6 ]

January 09, 2012, 11:13 PM

I wish I could afford the risk!  I got back some regrowth and I’m hanging on to what i have for dear life.  It is all about priorities for me: health first, hair second, and muscles third.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

# 7 ]

January 09, 2012, 11:28 PM

Good. When you put your health first your hair will surely follow!

IGNORE

dZine

RankRank

Total Posts: 80

# 8 ]

January 10, 2012, 04:07 AM

You state above that creatine DOES increase DHT, in that case yes it would be obvious to me that it increases hair loss…but I am just doubting that it increases DHT.
Anyhow, I will rather be on the safe side and stay away from it:).

What about training/fitness in general? More muscle can lead to more testosteron?
I will never stop doing sports, it is an important part of my life. But I am just wondering..

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 9 ]

January 10, 2012, 09:03 PM

dZine,

Here is the 2009 study on Creatine increasing DHT: http://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed/Abstract/2009/09000/Three_Weeks_of_Creatine_Monohydrate.9.aspx

I don’t think testosterone is bad at all.  I adhere to the idea that you as a man want to keep your ratio of your Testosterone to Estrogen the same as that as a healthy young man.  Natural fitness with a good healthy diet is the best way to that.  If you keep the same large muscle mass and the same low body fat as a fit young guy your hormones will be balanced at the right ratio.  Of course this is only true as long as your are not jacking with your hormone levels with chemicals and/or questionable supplements.

Ideally we should all be doing bench, squats, deadlifts, and running sprints well into our 60’s and beyond.  I will never stop doing sports either.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.