Most Important Immortal Supplements

Share/Bookmark

neutron

RankRank

Total Posts: 140

January 15, 2012, 01:31 PM

Hello All,

With 2012 here I decided to really refocus my efforts on the gym and my hairloss.  I want to fully commit to the laser treatment again and become consistent with a simple regimen combo.  Ive taken things such as; fish oil, co q10, B vitamins, Nid’s supplements (anti oxident boost, de calcify, R-lopoic acid), msm and biosil.  However, I think the most important thing with any regimen is consistency.  I want to limit my supplements to possibly 4-5.  Keep it simple but hit the key areas.  Also, I want to really focus on the laser treatments and boost these results.  Im also considering a topical treatment as well.  If i had to narrow my supplements to the essentials, what would they be?  Also, what topical would best fit my laser treatments? 

Thanks all.

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

Total Posts: 246

# 1 ]

January 15, 2012, 05:17 PM

congrats on your new found determination. I wish there was any easy answer for you, but there isn’t. From what you’ve listed, you’ve tried most of the good ones. Internals are a hard thing to predict. For one, it takes many months of consistency to see any results, and two, there’s no guarantee they’ll do anything for you in terms of hair loss.  There is little doubt, though, that your “overall” health would improve.

My experiences say that fish oil, curcumin, and resveratrol are fantastic for men’s health and offer a scientifically shown way of combating inflammation (which is one of many culprits to hair loss).

From what I’ve heard from other posts, of all of nid’s supplements the best one for hair loss is de calcify, which breaks down the fibrosis in the scalp. I’ve never tried these products though.

As for topicals, there are different topical applications for lasering:  pre and post.

For pre-lasering the current hot topic is niacin mixed with oils.  There’s a thread on this site about that.
For post-lasering, there has never been a definitive answer on any product that is synergistic with lasers. The prevailing notion has simply been whatever topical you use use it after lasering.  I’m using Nid’s new topical, Rejuveplex.  I like it a lot, but it’s too new to know if it actually produces results

Good luck…I agree with you that simple is best.  This is exactly what I’ve done the last few months. My signature always contains my updated regimen. It’s a pretty simple mix of medical and alternative science.. I cut the res and curcumin after being on them for a few years to save money, but i can already feel the difference 5 months later and may consider going back on them.

Tried a lot of things, never stuck with anything. Don’t do that

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

Total Posts: 121

# 2 ]

January 16, 2012, 04:41 AM

If you dont even know what the supplements do and why you are taking them, i really dont think you should be taking them at all.

mj said “There is little doubt, though, that your “overall” health would improve.”  Some people think that health is directly related to the number of prescription medications you take. While others think that the number of “natural” supplements you take is the best barometer of health. Neither case is true.

Lets take a look at some of the supplements

Krill oil - There are all kinds of articles that warn against too much polyunsaturated fatty acid (krill oil) intake, or about unbalanced levels of Omega-3s to Omega-6s.

Curcumin - A potent anti-inflammatory. Inflammation is your bodies way of protecting you from unnecessary, unidentified, or harmful substances in an attempt to keep you from harm. Inflammation is how the body rids itself of old and damaged cells, in and without inflammation you will never heal from an injury. Do you really want to put your immune systems inflammatory system in the hands of a derivative of some plant called curcumin?

Resveratrol - Stimulates Th-2. The Immune system has two sides: Th-1 and Th-2. Th1 is for intracellular pathogens, and Th2 is for extracellular pathogens. This is a balance system. When you stimulate one side, the other side is supressed, leaving you vulnerable. You want to be Th-2 activated? You will over-respond to things like parasites and toxins and be under-responsive to virus and cancer.

What im saying is that you really should know what you are doing before u start eating a bunch of pills. These are far from a bunch of “magical supplements that just make you so healthy.” There is always two sides of the story. In order for any supplement to have any effect; it needs to make a change within your body. This is exactly what you should be studying. What changes is this supplement making to my body to achieve the effect its giving me?

The human body is far from understood. Its always better to errrrr on the side of caution. I would suggest you do your research and start first with diet.

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

Total Posts: 246

# 3 ]

January 16, 2012, 10:07 AM

interesting points, but I honestly have never heard of any negative press on any of those three supplements, other than too much of anything is bad for you.  And my personal experiences were never anything but great, including a stronger immune system and recovering from multiple heart procedures including an implantable defibrillator while on these supps which caused plenty of initial inflammation.  Are you sure about those claims you’re making about curcumin as well as resveratrol leaving you more susceptible to virus and cancer?  Have you read a study that showed a definitive link?  Not being argumentative, I just would like to know if this is true because I have bought in completely that these three supps are good for you and i would be interested in seeing proof that they are not.

Tried a lot of things, never stuck with anything. Don’t do that

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 4 ]

January 16, 2012, 01:09 PM

NDW…

You seem to be coming here with a bit of an attitude and some pre concieved notions.  First, I dont know what about my post gave you the impression that I didn’t know what these supplements did.  The purpose of the post was to gaige some of the other members experiences.  Infact, notice that I’m actually trying to trim things down to the basics and keep it simple. I agree with some of your points.  Oftentimes, supplements serve one function while negatively impacting another.  However, I believe a supplement can help someone who has tendencies toward certain conditions.  I found your post slightly condescending in tone.  Obviously, your not an advocate of taking supplements.  And you are definately entitled to that opinion.  But where does that stop? Since your posting here I would assume you prescribe to some form of treatment, whether it be lasers, zix ect.  I’m sure many people would argue negative impacts of almost every medication, supplement, topical ect.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

# 5 ]

January 16, 2012, 04:30 PM

I didnt mean to have any condescending tone or anything. I will try to edit it out next time. Perhaps it comes from the fact that, although i love the IH forum, it kind of erks me that there is no disclaimer on anything like ive just said. Not only that, it seems like people over at IH have to have some sort of reaction before someone says “oh dont take supplement xyz with supplement abc” etc.

mj - As far as the cancer and virus thing, this is purely theory. I wasnt really trying to make a technically rigorous statement. Basically when the one side of the immune system is activated, the other is temporarily supressed. If the side that is responsible for attacking cancer and viruses is suppressed than theoretically you will have a tougher time with cancer, virus etc. Maybe the difference is only like .005%, maybe its 5%, i dont know. Google “Th1 Th2” or something similar and you will see what im talking about. The only reason i say things like this is to point out that these supps are not going into your body and having nothing but positive effects.

They can have negative consequences. 15 yrs from now its possible that no one will be recommending these supps because so much more will have been learned about human physiology. - Just a disclaimer.

I do actually take supplements. The ones i am most comfortable taking are: Curcumin, Resveratrol, ALA, ALC, Ecklonia Cava, Magnesium spray, low dose Vit E, and low dose iodine.

At the end of the day i think supps are still far better than drugs. Just thought everyone here deserves a disclaimer.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

# 6 ]

January 16, 2012, 04:39 PM

NDW…

No problem! I wasnt sure if that was your intention, but I just pointed out how it seemed. I absolutely agree that we should look further into the things we put into our bodies.  Unfortunately, this is an ongoing thing where the things science says today may not agree with future knowledge. 

What is your take on Ecklonia Cava?  I dont really hear much about that supplement, but when I do it is usually someone raving over it.  Also, Do you have any opinions on the Decalcify supplement some people are using here?

Thanks.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

# 7 ]

January 18, 2012, 01:46 AM

I take ecklonia cava based on all of the good things i have heard and read about it. Im skeptical as to whether its really as good, or can really do all the things that it claims, but its anti-oxidant capacity alone is impressive.

Here are a couple things IH says ecklonia cava can do: inhibit MMP-9, increase growth hormones, regulate cortisol, reduce inflammation through a variety of means, increase alpha waves, and normalize glucose lelvels. Its also reported to have a number of benefits on the vascular system and increase N.O. Immortal Hair said if he could only take one supplement it would be ecklonia cava. This is pretty strong testimony coming from him, and lets not forget that this is nothing but seaweed.

I dont know what to say about Decalcify. I dont take it because i already get my magnesium from my mag spray. Also, K2 and zinc can be easily had from diet, although nidhogge might argue that im not getting therapeutic doses from diet, as Decalcify can provide.

IGNORE

Nidhogge

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 510

# 8 ]

February 02, 2012, 10:21 PM

Hey NDW—

I see where you are coming from, however, the big thing here is quantity.  Herbs are generally adaptogenic in nature, as opposed to prescription drugs.  Adaptogenic compounds work with your body to bring it closer to optimal homeostasis.  Of course, too much of a particular adaptogenic compound can “overload” your body as it can only process so much at any given time.  This is why great care must be taken when developing a supplement for people via studying research on dosage, the type of herbal extract used, the time of day it is administered, and so forth.

Regarding Decalcify—Zinc you can easily get from diet, but I feel personally that Vitamin K2 is difficult unless you’re indulging in dairy.  If you’re indulging in dairy, that opens up another can of worms.  How are you obtaining your K2?  Magnesium Spray is great stuff.

Ecklonia Cava may just technically be a brown algae/seaweed, but it’s the amount of rings that are contained in its molecular structure that are simply astounding.  Not only that, but turns out that (and this is the first time I’m publicly mentioning this) there is a different part of the Ecklonia plant referred to as “Bicyclis” which absolutely dwarfs Ecklonia Cava to the point that there have been three tests to determine ORAC value due to how high it is.  In my opinion, this will oust Cava in the not-to-distant future.

On the Krill Oil—those articles warning against too much polyunsaturated fatty acid oil never refer to Krill Oil, but rather, Fish Oil.  I’d rather defer to IH on this, as he can give an incredibly detailed answer on the difference between the two, but I believe it has to do with the phospholipid structure that the Krill Oil is bound to.  In a nutshell, Krill and Fish Oil are like night and day to one another.

neutron—

As far as some detailed information all in one place, IH created all the pages on Ortho-Nutrition.com if you want to take a gander as to the benefits and research behind the various ingredients.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

# 9 ]

February 02, 2012, 11:26 PM

Greetings Nidhogge -

Yeah I have to admit that the herbs are really efficient at curbing MPB. My only problem was the idea that they go into your system and have only one effect. And that one effect being purely a positive one. Not that they are a bad thing, but they can effect other systems. One of the latest “discoveries” I made on IH.org was that Vit-C can impare muscle mitochondria, and should be taken away from workouts. This is exactly what i’m talking about.

I find K2 to be one of the easiest nutrients to get from diet. It’s in quite a lot of foods, particularly green vegetables. One cup of Romaine will give you 60%, just one ounce of Spinach will give you 169%, and one ounce of Kale will give you 286% DV. —All info from nutritiondata.self.com

Zinc on the other hand is easy to “get,” but unless you are eating Oysters, rather difficult to get 100% DV a day.

I get my oils from fish, I love my Tuna, Salmon and Sardines. The Tuna and Sardines I eat raw with Saltine crackers. Actually canned Salmon is good with Saltines too. Unless you’re on a relatively low-fat diet, I think you’re risking getting too much PUFA if you’re supplementing Krill/fish oil. I think this is another one of those things that has been blown out of proportion by the media or whatever, just as the media paints salt and sugar as evil. As soon as all these studies on Omega-3s came in I think people were going a bit overboard with it (I could be wrong). I mean if you’re taking 1-2g a day just from supps, you could be getting 10g’s a day rather easily.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.