Minoxidil, what do you guys think?

Share/Bookmark

Rothman

RankRank

Total Posts: 34

January 21, 2012, 07:59 PM

I started Minox about a year and a half ago and have been consistent until a few months back. I am still consistent at using it once a day even though it is suggested to use it it twice a day. I have been using a generic 5% solution. My hair has definitely not gotten worse but at the same time it has not improved. It seemed like after the first 6 or months or so, and after the massive shed that this stuff causes, that I improved quite a bit. That being said, it’s like I hit a stopping point after that where my hair didn’t/hasn’t gotten any better.

I saw some posts here saying that the foam minox was not a good thing for some but overall….

What is the general attitude towards minox around here?

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

Total Posts: 121

# 1 ]

January 21, 2012, 11:18 PM

Its not very popular around here for 2 reasons: 1. its a drug 2. it eventually stops working. But IMO any topical will stop working eventually.

Some people say minoxidil does not work. Minoxidil works just fine, its subjects that arent working properly.

If you are using minox i would recommend the Perfect Image brand.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

# 2 ]

January 22, 2012, 12:03 AM

I should also mention that there is talk that minox interferes with LLLT, and there is a couple natural alternatives. Super Zix 2 is one, and the other is Rejuvaplex. These are “in house” solutions that have been made by members of this forum. I have tried neither. Also, the guy who makes Zix has an additive you can put into your minox to make it more effective. Its called Minomuck, however since you will be diluting the minox, there will be less than 5% minox in the solution.

You can check the Zix and Minomuck out here: http://www.qdbd.com/hair_loss_treatment_1.htm

IGNORE

Rothman

RankRank

# 3 ]

January 22, 2012, 05:58 PM

I have looked into Rejuveplex, zix, and muck. I’m really interested in the Zix but I’m not sure if I want to use another topical. I’m thinking about waning myself off of the minox slowly to see what happens. I may wait until I have my helmet built to do that though.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 4 ]

January 22, 2012, 06:10 PM

I like minoxidil as a treatment. The fact that it has FDA approval for hair regrowth is the very thing many people need for long term compliance. Treating hair loss is a marathon, not a sprint. It’s not what you do this week or this month that will make any difference. It’s what you do over the next decade. Because it is proven to grow hair, people will stick to it long enough for it to be helpful.

Now minoxidil can have systemic side effects. However I personally feel most of the time these side effects are imagined and not true side effects. That said I know some people, who I completely trust, that have had side effects. Myself personally I used to practically bathe in the stuff and I never had any problems.

However minoxidil really does nothing to stop the hair loss condition from worsening. For that you need something that blocks DHT. That is why I would recommend adding Hair Muck to it. That way you’re getting the benefits of minoxidil along with compounds that have efficacy to block DHT.

I would also recommend 2% minox over the 5% stuff. We have a study showing the 2% stuff works about 2/3’s as well as the 5% stuff.  By using the 2% minox you could apply approximately 2 1/2 times more and get the coverage you need without overdosing on the stuff and possibly having side effects. It’s hard to take 1 ml (the recommended amount of the 5% stuff) and cover all the areas you want to treat.

Minoxidil is also very inexpensive. This is another big plus for long term complaince.

Using concentrations higher than 5% is a waste of money in my opinion and also increases the risk of overdose. We have absolutely no data to support using these higher doses. In fact we have studies suggesting the reverse is true. Meaning applying more than 5% will not grow anymore hair.

I don’t think I’ll ever forgive Dr Lee for perpetuating this high concentration minoxidil idea.

IGNORE

Rothman

RankRank

# 5 ]

January 23, 2012, 06:44 PM

Maybe I’ll continue on with minox then as I did have positive results with it. I’m going to look into the muck a little more I guess. 1ml always seemed to be the right amount needed to treat my entire hairloss area. I have short hair so maybe that has something to do with it as well. Thanks for the insight.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

# 6 ]

January 23, 2012, 07:31 PM

OMG the Perfect Image company has been shut down for selling 10 and 15% minox solutions and adding other additives.

http://perfectimagesolutions.com/

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm288562.htm

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

Total Posts: 246

# 7 ]

January 24, 2012, 07:29 AM

DS labs has a few minox options you may want to consider. They also have a modified minox molecule called nanoxidil which they just released and claim it offers 11 pathways to fighting hair loss.  You should check those out.  The company has a very good reputation.

Tried a lot of things, never stuck with anything. Don’t do that

IGNORE

Rothman

RankRank

# 8 ]

January 25, 2012, 06:58 PM

I think I’m going to stick with the exchange select brand as it’s the only one besides rogain available here locally. Plus it’s pretty cheap at $13 for 30ml (at least as far as I know that’s cheap). The DS labs site said that if you had good results with minoxidil then just stick with it. I was happy with the results of minox for quite a while so I guess I’ll just stay the course.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.