Saw Palmetto Supplements

Share/Bookmark

WinterHeart

RankRank

Total Posts: 81

January 30, 2012, 03:21 AM

I’ve been having good success in stopping my hair loss (and getting some mild regrowth… er… maybe) with the laser helmet and some of the immortal supplements.
But, after 1 year and a half, I’m thinking of starting something new to target the DHT, to see if maybe it’ll give an extra boost to the treatment and get some extra regrowth.

So I ordered this product: 160mg capsules of Saw Palmetto by NowFoods.
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Saw-Palmetto-Extract-160-mg-240-Softgels/801?at=0

I’m thinking of taking one capsule on each day that I’m going to be using the helmet (meaning, 3 times a week). I heard most peope who use it take 320mg every day, but I’m scared of the side effects.

What I want to know is, if I stop taking this after a while, will it cause my hair to shed? I’ve heard that people who take finasteride and stop, sometimes end up worse than before they started!!! So what about the Saw Palmetto? Since I’m doing decent with just the lasers, I’m wondering if it’s worth the risk of adding this to my regimen.

Also, if anyone else is taking this, did you ever get any side effects like erectile dysfunction? It seems that whenever I try to do some research, half the sources say it can HELP people who have erectile dysfunctions, and the other half says it can CAUSE it… which is it??

Is this safer or less safe to take than the prescription drugs?
And, can it potentially cause any permanent changes to one’s body?

I’ve heard of people using it topically, but to me, it seems like a pain in the ass, so that’s why I was considering the pills first. That, and also because I’ve heard it can help reduce oily skin and acne, which I sometimes have, especially during the hottest months of summer. This is why I’d rather go with the pills than a shampoo of some kind.

I’ve tried to research this, but I want to hear people who speak from experience, because so far, all I’ve found are medical websites that all say the same thing. And based on MY experience, that’s not always a very good way to get proper information.

Thanks!

PS. (I’m a 26 years old male and I have no other health problems)

EDIT: Ok after typing “Saw Palmetto Shedding” into google I am now highly inclined NOT to touch the stuff. Guess I’ll have to try something else… still, I’d like to hear from people around here.

IGNORE

DM5

RankRank

Total Posts: 198

# 1 ]

February 01, 2012, 12:55 AM

Winterheart-

I have taken this on an off and am currently on.  I think it is great especially if you workout(steroidal saponins) and for adrenal health.  As far as side effects go as long as you are taking the curc/resv and other IH supps, should not be much of a problem.  I find that when I stop especially the Boost is when I run into those issues.  In all, I take their Boost, EC, and Saw Palmetto and Fo-ti currently.  As far as hairloss goes I think it definitely helps.  Shedding not so much of a problem from SP.  Currently waiting to get my helmet action back together as I have lost some ground there.  I would recommend saw palmetto for sure though.

“A door within the fire creaks, suddenly flies open and a girl is standing there.  Eyes alight with glowing hair all that fancy paints as fair, she takes her fan and throws it in the Lion’s Den.”

Terrapin Station
The Grateful Dead

Put your lights on
Carlos Santana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEl8OlQlLc&featur;

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

Total Posts: 121

# 2 ]

February 01, 2012, 01:03 AM

DM5 - I’m sure Saw Palmetto is good stuff. Don’t you think there are better natural DHT inhibitors though? Perhaps a combo of SP + some other DHT blocker would be better?

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

Total Posts: 105

# 3 ]

February 01, 2012, 01:08 AM

I don’t think you should ever try to inhibit or block DHT orally. DHT is an important hormone that gives us our masculine attributes. To block in the blood, you would be blocking or minimizing DHT’s effects on the whole body. That is why people have had side effects with DHT-blocking supplements like propecia. In my opinion too, the natural DHT blockers are less effective any ways. So, what I would do - is research how to block DHT topically.

I just ordered the revivogen 3-month supply. I’m going to post before and after pictures at the 3-6-9 month points. Revivogen has been clinically proven to reduce DHT localized in the scalp- which of course is where you want it blocked. I’m planning on adding in a laser element too once I get my laser messiah smile Then, as an added bonus I’ve been brushing my scalp with a boars hair brush (only once a day), and doing self massage with jojoba oil (once a day). Finally, I do plan to switch up products to keep from acclimating to the revivogen after the initial 6 month period.

I’m 27 too man, and I noticed my hair loss in my early 20s, but the last couple of years it’s been very noticeable, and now I just buzz my head. Someday I do hope to get some results, and I intend to share ‘em all with y’all. Good luck!

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

# 4 ]

February 01, 2012, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. I might give it a try at a very low dose and see what it does.

Tanner, I thought that it was actually Testosterone that was important for us, not DHT? I thought DHT was the substance that testosterone turned into? Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong…

Anyway, since you seem to be against taking it orally, what about if I broke open the soft capsules, and smeared the liquid on my scalp instead? Maybe that sounds kinda stupid, but since Saw Palmetto supposedly disables DHT, maybe it would help to get rid of the DHT that is present on the scalp?

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 5 ]

February 01, 2012, 10:18 AM

Testosterone IS very important for us. DHT is ALSO very important to us. DHT is responsible for muscular growth, sexual performance/libido, deepening of the voice, etc. The biological pathway simplified is:

Testosterone——> 5-Alpha Reductase—-> DHT

Most products out there that work to reduce DHT will work on the enzyme (in some inhibitory way: competitive/allosteric/noncompetitive) 5AR to prevent DHT from being formed. This is only a good idea topically because you really don’t want to take away the DHT in the blood (which of course supplies the whole body).

I don’t see anything wrong with smearing the Saw Palmetto from the capsules onto the scalp. I just think you want to make sure it penetrates well. DMSO is a good solvent to aid in the delivery of compounds trans-dermally. For me, I just ordered Revivogen. It has saw palmetto and several other compounds that are proven to block DHT. Check out the site.

Now here’s the kicker - we can try and eliminate DHT in the scalp. That’s great and all - in fact it must be done… but how do we dislodge the DHT molecules that are already bound to our androgen receptors? Revivogen claims to do that, but I think LLLT will definitely help do the job.

I’m hopeful that 6 months of 3X treatments a week of LLLT with the laser messiah along with an arsenal of topicals (I’ll be using revivogen, and an old indian formula that you make at home) we will see something happen!

Image Attachments  image.png

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 6 ]

February 01, 2012, 10:19 AM

As an aside - I think I’m going to do some microneedling once a week before applying the revivogen. I’ll also do the clays and a pumpkin enzyme peel, etc etc… that’s the arsenal!

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

# 7 ]

February 01, 2012, 04:57 PM

Very interesting, thank you for the info!
Would you say though, that there is a danger, even for the topical DHT blockers, to end up being absorbed anyway (though to a lesser extent than if they were taken orally,) and cause the same side effects that way as if they were taken orally?

Anyway, I’m probably gonna try massaging a small quantity into my scalp, I’ve already ordered the softgel caps, so I might as well find something to do with them. To tell the truth, I’m really satisfied with my laser results, and, being Norwood 2, I don’t really feel threatened by my hair loss anymore (especially with the scalp itchiness being mostly gone).
But I’d be happy if I could somehow cause a bit of regrowth by working on removing the DHT.

IGNORE

bear101

RankRank

Total Posts: 55

# 8 ]

February 01, 2012, 06:47 PM

I’m planning on trying Saw palmetto myself. Does anyone know of a good brand? And what dose/frequency?

From what I understand Saw Palmetto might work by a different mechanism and than finasteride, since it doesn’t affect PSA levels (like finasteride).

IGNORE

DM5

RankRank

# 9 ]

February 02, 2012, 12:57 AM

Be careful of using it topically.  There it will cause a shed more than likely.  Anything you put on your scalp that blocks DHT like Saw Palmetto is going to cause an upregulation in sensitivity of the androgen receptors on your head.  Meaning they were alot calmer before and now they are lighting up.  I have tested just about every DHT blocker, pumpkinseed oil, borage oil, peppermint, green tea, the list goes on.  This is unless you are taking an internal DHT blocker that has already numbed this system and thence the sensitivity down. 

And yes anything you put on your head eventually will make its way into the body.  I have tested this theory over and over and it always does.  You may not know it or psych yourself out, but the bottom line is that is goes into your blood stream.  Where else it gonna go?  I know there are others who feel different or will tell you different but I can tell you from my experience with just about everything.  Anything you put on your skin goes into your bloodstream. 

As regards the brand, I use Solaray.  2x a day for a total of 320mg.  You can take it once a day if it suits you.

“A door within the fire creaks, suddenly flies open and a girl is standing there.  Eyes alight with glowing hair all that fancy paints as fair, she takes her fan and throws it in the Lion’s Den.”

Terrapin Station
The Grateful Dead

Put your lights on
Carlos Santana

IGNORE

DM5

RankRank

# 10 ]

February 02, 2012, 01:04 AM

NDW - February 01, 2012, 01:03 AM

DM5 - I’m sure Saw Palmetto is good stuff. Don’t you think there are better natural DHT inhibitors though? Perhaps a combo of SP + some other DHT blocker would be better?

Yeah I use Fo-Ti daily as well.  In addition I cook with coconut oil so get about a scoop or more in every couple days.  If you guys are looking for a topical to go with lasers, OMG has it down.  His uses coconut oil and emu.  That sounds pretty good to me.

Terrapin Station
The Grateful Dead

Put your lights on
Carlos Santana

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

Total Posts: 18

# 11 ]

February 02, 2012, 03:56 AM

Hey Winter-Im just curious, which of Immortals supplements are you taking?

And currently Im taking beta-sitosterols 375mg(supossed to contain 10x more phytosterols than Saw Palmetto) everyday for about 6 weeks now, and no loss in libido yet. I’ve also been taking them with Immortals supplements.

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
                                              -Benjamin Franklin

“Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice”
                                              -W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

# 12 ]

February 02, 2012, 04:40 AM

Well, it’s reassuring to see that not everybody has a horror story. I’m still debating whether I’m going to try it or not, we’ll see.

As for the IH supplements, I used to take the top 6 plus biotin religiously every day with every meal (as recommended on his website where it says “here are the supplements I take every day”).
Then, I switched to the new ones that came out last year (The ones that say “Ortho Nutrition” on the bottle). To be more specific, they are:

-Stabilized R-Lipodic
-Antartic Krill Oil
-Antioxidant Boost
-Pure Eclania Cava
-Decalcify

But, to tell the truth, after a while I lowered my dose because I needed to be careful with my spendings… so I started taking them at dinner only (one pill of each kind).

Except that last month, I stopped completely because I ran out (which was dumb of me). I’ve re-ordered this week though, and I want to make sure it won’t happen again.

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

Total Posts: 18

# 13 ]

February 02, 2012, 02:07 PM

Ya, running out can be a pain. I order them a few months at a time to try and avoid the problem. Im taking the same ones as you (the ortho nutrition ones) for about a week now. I read on Immortals page that his supplements are actually known to be good for sexual health/increase libido, so maybe since you are taking them you won’t have the typical effect on your libido from the Saw Palmetto. It seems to be that way for me, though like I said it is early.

Im just wondering, what was your experience with the supplements over the year that you took them?

Oh, and If your going to take them with one meal, I heard you might you should take them at breakfast or earlier in the day since your metabolism slows in the evening. I could be wrong, but its something Ive heard around for awhile and it seems to make sense.

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
                                              -Benjamin Franklin

“Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice”
                                              -W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

Anders

RankRank

Total Posts: 31

# 14 ]

February 03, 2012, 02:01 AM

Hi Winterheart, I have been taking 1 a day 320mg capsules of saw palmetto, togehther with half a pill of propecia and laser helmet for year and a half, with no significant side effects at all.  I had a shed at the beginning of the regime - but thats a good thing. 

Unfortunaetly I cannot afford IH supplements anymore, although I must stress I had excellent results with them, and think he is doing immense work.

Everyones body is different though and what is right for me, might not be right for anyone else, but generally I promote the use of high dose saw palmetto and a healthy diet.

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

# 15 ]

February 04, 2012, 05:10 AM

Im just wondering, what was your experience with the supplements over the year that you took them

The first thing that I noticed was that I was able to get out of bed much faster than before.
Before, it would always take me at least 5 minutes to shake off the “ugh-I-don’t-wanna-get-up” feeling. But within 2 weeks of starting the supplements, as soon as I woke up, I didn’t want to be in bed anymore because I felt like I was wasting my time. I immediately felt wide awake and ready to go. That was really surprising, and I can’t attribute it to anything else, because the supplements were the only change in my lifestyle at the time. Before that, it had always been hard for me to get out of bed.

As for the results on the hair, I don’t know whether it was due to the helmet or the supplements (I started both at the same time), but after a few months the itchiness was completely gone, and the shedding had stopped almost completely. Sometimes I’d shed for a week, but I’d only lose the pale weak hair. It was a big difference from the constant shedding and itchiness that I had before.

Lately though, I’ve had a few (short) periods of heavy shedding where my scalp was a bit itchy. I’m starting to suspect that it’s because I stopped the supplements, so I’m gonna start taking them as soon as I get my order.

IGNORE

ram1025

Rank

Total Posts: 2

# 16 ]

March 24, 2012, 03:31 AM

topically. I just required the revivogen 3-month distribute. I’m going to send before and after images at the 3-6-9 month stuff. Revivogen has been clinically recognized to lower down DHT localized in the mind- which of courses.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.