Cold Showers

Share/Bookmark

holyjalopy

RankRank

Total Posts: 27

February 02, 2012, 01:11 PM

Some thing crazy has recently happened over the last couple of months.  I started taking cold showers for my health, and wouldn’t you know it, my hair loss has totally stopped.  I shed so little that I almost feel like I’ve lost my mind!  I use to be able to pull gently at my hair and some hair would come out.  Now, nothing sheds.  Nothing! 

I shower either once or twice a day, and when I do, I start with slightly warm water, and then when I’m ready,I let it go almost all the way cold.  I allow the water to hit all over my body, but especially my head, and I massage my scalp with my fingers, first pushing my hair forward, then pushing all my hair back.  I do this a couple of times.  Not only is my hair getting thicker, but the cold water puts me in a better mood for the rest of the day.

I’ve looked up if anyone else has experienced the same results, and it seems like it’s been known for awhile.  Anyway, you guys should try it yourselves and see if it helps you, too.  My hair keeps getting thicker and thicker… at least it seems.  I’ll post back in a few months and let you guys know how it’s going, but I think using the laser helmet and taking cold showers might just give me all my hair back!

Anyway, I just wanted to share because this site has given me so much.  Thank you, OMG and friends! You guys rock.

Let me know if this works for you guys, too!

~holyjalopy

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

Total Posts: 105

# 1 ]

February 02, 2012, 02:09 PM

You know - it’s certainly worth a try! I love doing cold plunges when I’m at a spa that has a cold plunge. I work at Lake Austin Spa Resort (www.lakeaustin.com) and whenever I steam/hot tub/sauna, I always take an ice bucket of cold wash cloths that have been soaked in ice/water/lavender essential oil and use them on my scalp and face to keep cool. However, showering in completely cold water will take some getting used to, but if I can reap all the health benefits AND grow some hair… man, I think we all will get used to it fast! Thanks for the post. I’m going to try it now!

IGNORE

dZine

RankRank

Total Posts: 80

# 2 ]

February 02, 2012, 03:39 PM

Do you also have any explanation for that..?

I would argue that the cold actually would have a negative effect—> Close the vessels, less nutrients etc.
Furthermore, it will make lasering less effective if you do it before your session.
But again, that is my reasoning and I would love to hear your idea why the cold showers would work, would be awesome if it would gain results :D

IGNORE

holyjalopy

RankRank

# 3 ]

February 02, 2012, 03:45 PM

Dzine, I have no idea.  I know that it improves circulation, so maybe that’s part of the reason it works so well?  I also know that in the past, before I even heard of cold showers, I would take hot showers and it would result in me shedding a lot of hair in the shower.  If anyone else has a theory on why this seems to work, please post!  I’m curious, too!  smile

IGNORE

holyjalopy

RankRank

# 4 ]

February 02, 2012, 03:49 PM

Also, Dzine, I oil my scalp and laser BEFORE my shower.

IGNORE

dZine

RankRank

# 5 ]

February 02, 2012, 04:28 PM

yeah that seems to make sense…

also did some reading, looks interesting.
f.e. http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/04/4-reasons-why-you-need-to-take-cold-showers/

have not found convincing evidence yet

IGNORE

Rosariorose9

RankRank

Total Posts: 97

# 6 ]

February 02, 2012, 07:04 PM

Can’t give you any scientific evidence, but I do have some of an anecdotal nature.  Many, many years ago, I had a barber who swore by the value of cold showers for hair health.  He said that his father had told him to do it. Anyway, my barber was in his late sixties, and had a beautiful head of hair.  Did I follow his advice?  Of course not…but I may do it now!  On a side note, Paul Newman was known to immerse his face in ice water after washing it, and he looked pretty damned good into his late 70’s.

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

Total Posts: 18

# 7 ]

February 17, 2012, 01:57 AM

I can’t say much about this in terms of results since I started trying out cold showers only the day this went up, but I can vouch for the feeling of it. It just makes your head feel good, gives it a fresh feeling that lasts a good part of the day. Can definitly say that it works as a short term fix for excessive itchiness. Supossed to have a ton of other health benefits too. I always had a problem with super dry hair after warm showers, but the cold water helps this alot too. Even without lasering since I havent been able to add that to my regime yet.

Good post Jalopy, highly recommended.

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
                                              -Benjamin Franklin

“Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice”
                                              -W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

holyjalopy

RankRank

# 8 ]

February 18, 2012, 02:05 PM

Thanks, Superman777!

IGNORE

Duketronix

Rank

Total Posts: 10

# 9 ]

February 20, 2012, 01:55 PM

I switched to cold showers for the past week and it is AMAZING!  I shed almost nothing in the shower or out!  and I was shedding a decent amount before.  Not insane or anything but now its literally like 3-4 hairs in the shower and definitely less while out.
I’m converted AND it feels really good once you get used to it.  Hair looks healthier too, less dry and more manageable.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 637

# 10 ]

February 20, 2012, 03:18 PM

You know I honestly think there could be some merit in this idea. Cold showers have always been used to lower libido. So why would a cold shower lower libido? Could it be that cold showers temporarily lower the production of testosterone? The less testosterone, the less can get converted to androgens.

Just a thought.

IGNORE

yanks1

RankRank

Total Posts: 39

# 11 ]

February 21, 2012, 12:18 PM

Zix, I feel the opposite effect from a cold shower. Could be improving T to E ratio and balancing hormones in general rather than lowering T. I will testify to how amazing it is though. Better than most supplements in the way that it gives an immediate effect.

IGNORE

yanks1

RankRank

Total Posts: 39

# 12 ]

February 21, 2012, 12:18 PM

Zix, I feel the opposite effect from a cold shower. Could be improving T to E ratio and balancing hormones in general rather than lowering T. I will testify to how amazing it is though. Better than most supplements in the way that it gives an immediate effect.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 637

# 13 ]

February 21, 2012, 02:22 PM

Seems like you are probably right. I did some searching and there is some evidence to suggest that cold water does raise T levels.

IGNORE

jkenn

RankRank

Total Posts: 24

# 14 ]

February 22, 2012, 10:24 PM

I find I have to use warm water to soap and rinse, then switch to cold.  How long do I need to spend in the cold to get the benefits?

IGNORE

Superman777

Rank

Total Posts: 18

# 15 ]

February 24, 2012, 05:59 PM

It hard to say how long till you get the benefits, but I just go for as long as I can stand it. No less than 10 minutes. What helps me is avoinding contact with anything below your shoulders once your past the 80/20 cold to warm ratio. Cause once that cold water hits your body, you just wanna get the F*@k outta there. Your kneck and head though seem to have a much better resistance to it I find. I also rinse out the shampoo with the cold.

I doubt theres a wrong way to do it, just sharing my experience.

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
                                              -Benjamin Franklin

“Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice”
                                              -W.J. Bryan

IGNORE

johnson

Rank

Total Posts: 8

# 16 ]

February 24, 2012, 06:31 PM

I remember reading (and I’m sorry I can’t remember where) that hot water exacerbates inflammation. As a side note, Tim Ferriss, in his book “The 4-Hour Body” talks about the the fat-loss effects of temperature manipulation. Essentially the idea is when you expose yourself to cold by taking cold showers, ice baths, or going for a walk in the winter without a coat (termed “shiver walk”)  The body’s brown adipose tissue is activated, which uses up the white adipose tissue (the blubber we all know and hate) to keep the body warm. The book is an interesting read; you should check it out if you haven’t already.

IGNORE

Kazbar

RankRank

Total Posts: 30

# 17 ]

February 25, 2012, 04:07 AM

Just wondering if wearing a hat can exacerbate hair loss by raising the temperature of the scalp. I find that when I do wear a baseball cap I have more shedding.  Any one else come across this?

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 18 ]

February 25, 2012, 11:26 PM

In my opinion wearing a ball cap is only detrimental in two ways for MPB sufferers:

1.) If the cap is not washed regularly, there could be a flora of bacteria growing as well as other unwanted “debri” for good scalp health (old sebum, dirt, etc.)

2.) If the cap causes too much friction or is too tight against the scalp you can be causing the situational, “traction” induced alopecia.

So wear a cap if you want; it’s great for sun protection, and might make you feel more confident out in the open. However - just keep it cleaned regularly, and don’t let it fit to snug on your head.

Maybe after you take it off for the night, you could do a shampoo and then cold water rinse to mitigate the perceived negative effects of wearing one.

IGNORE

holyjalopy

RankRank

# 19 ]

February 27, 2012, 12:13 AM

I’m with Superman777, I’ve been showering cold for a few months now, and am able to stay in the shower for a while now.  But I don’t think time matters as long as you make sure to rinse your scalp with a good dose of cold water.

IGNORE

johnson

Rank

Total Posts: 8

# 20 ]

February 27, 2012, 09:53 AM

Here’s a couple of interesting links on cold showers. The first is a list of benefits written by a doctor. (note number 19)

http://www.cold-showers.com/a-doctors-view-on-cold-showers/

http://gettingstronger.org/2010/03/cold-showers/

IGNORE

jkenn

RankRank

# 21 ]

March 09, 2012, 02:03 AM

I think you’re onto something here.  I have been doing this for the past couple of weeks after seeing your post and I’ve noticed the same benefits.  I’ve been off propecia for 4 months now.  For most of that time, my hair was receding and thinning.  I could see the hair that was weakening as it would progressively get lighter than the rest of my hair.  The cold showers have stopped that pattern.  I’ve even started to see some of the light hair begin to darken.  I’m in the process of upgrading my helmet to work with the pulse drive so I’m hoping that I can get my hair back to where it was when I was on propecia.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

Total Posts: 119

# 22 ]

March 10, 2012, 01:22 AM

Just how cold are these showers? Are we talking 70 degrees F, or 50 degrees F?

IGNORE

jkenn

RankRank

# 23 ]

March 10, 2012, 08:02 PM

As cold as a standard household shower will allow. It varies how cold they go but anywhere from 53 to 60 I’d guess is the low point.

IGNORE

Duketronix

Rank

# 24 ]

March 12, 2012, 07:30 AM

Ya I’m just going as cold as possible, though I gradually work my way down to it from a lukewarm start.
Definitely don’t find it very cold anymore, and like the feeling afterwards, much more awake and not so “cozy”.
I (and my girlfriend) have noticed that my skin has become INSANELY soft.  She even made other people try touching it and I have to say it feels like velvet.  I don’t use ANY moisturizer and just use Pears glycerine soap (same for years) and the change has been so dramatic that my girlfriend (who hated cold showers and thought I was nuts)  has started doing it too since she doesn’t like me being softer than her.
Converted for life personally.

IGNORE

NDW

RankRank

Total Posts: 119

# 25 ]

March 12, 2012, 02:47 PM

“has started doing it too since she doesn’t like me being softer than her.”  - thats funny as hell

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 26 ]

March 14, 2012, 12:18 AM

I’m really enjoying the benefits of the cold water. I definitely shower the majority in warm water, but at the end, do a good minute or two of ice cold on my face, scalp, and sometimes I’ll take the shower wand and do my entire body (especially spending extra time on the muscles that I worked out at the gym that day).

So it’s great overall. I think it has extreme anti-aging benefits, and I hope it helps with my MPB. Only time will tell!

IGNORE

dZine

RankRank

# 27 ]

March 14, 2012, 03:29 AM

Flooding your stresses muscles seems like a bad idea actually…

Your muscles are damaged after a workout. They need heat and bloodflow to recover from that.. (but perhaps you get an increased blood flow after all..)

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 28 ]

March 14, 2012, 12:25 PM

I’m actually a massage therapist and personal trainer, and I’ve been in the field for 8 years now. When you lift properly and employ the overload principle, you create micro-tears in the tissue. It’s like a healthy injury. This creates inflammation and soreness… all part of the process. When your body heals, via mitosis and other anabolic pathways, the muscle fibers will return denser and stronger and hopefully a little bigger to deal with the “load”.

In general when dealing with injury, cold therapy is perfect for the tissue because it encourages vasoconstriction, then when the cold is removed, vasodilation. This causes a dramatic increase in circulation, and aids in lowering inflammation so the tissue can heal. However, cold treatment needs to happen within 8 hours of the injury for it to be really affective. After 8 hours, alternating between hot and cold is preferable, and then after 24 hours, heat is best.

Finally, if you put heat on your tissue that has been damaged, you are making yourself more susceptible to further injury/damage.

So I’m definitely not doing anything bad. I’ve noticed a decrease in recovery time and that can be too various agents that cold therapy activates (lymph drainage, circulation, immune system, etc). Plus intuitively… it feels right.

IGNORE

dZine

RankRank

# 29 ]

March 14, 2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the reply:)
good to know!

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 30 ]

March 16, 2012, 08:21 PM

For those of you who have been doing cold showers… just to spice things up a bit… why not switch to warm/hot for a few minutes mid shower, then go back to cold? It will create a flush-effect that is really great for the tissue/body. I do both, but when I have time I like to switch back and forth several times getting that “hot and cold therapy” effect.

IGNORE

Rothman

RankRank

Total Posts: 34

# 31 ]

March 18, 2012, 02:02 PM

I tried this for about a week after first reading the initial post. It feels good for sure and you can tell that something is going on. My shed had been minimal for a while before I tried this (I was having great success with clay and ACV). After one week of very cold water on the head for as long as I could stand it in the shower, my shed went crazy. I lost so much hair so quickly that it worried me more than my hair loss ever had before. We’re talking hundreds of hairs while washing it. I quit doing it and the shed has lessened quite a bit but it is still not as low as it was before.

I admit, there could be several factors involved as I had just started lasering around the same time frame.

It was enough to scare me away. Just my experience.

IGNORE

Duketronix

Rank

# 32 ]

March 21, 2012, 12:24 PM

Rothman:  That definitely sucks.  Just curious about the “as long as I can stand it”  you don’t want to totally freeze your head or anything.  Maybe going too long?

Tanner:  Ya the hot cold this is pretty awesome actually I’ve been playing with it a bit too.  From what I read its important to get in your armpits too when you do the flush to stimulate the glans in there.

Either way cold showers are still going well for me.  Right now things seem to be getting better and better with my hair.  I have a laser helmet from OMG arriving next week (maybe this week) and am stoked to add it to the equation.
Hopefully it helps me regain some of what I lost going of Minox back in Nov.  Had a pretty big/long shed but seems I’m over it.

IGNORE

holyjalopy

RankRank

# 33 ]

March 22, 2012, 12:16 AM

Hi Rothman, I’m so sorry to hear that it hasn’t been working for you.  I have no idea why it’s making your hair shed more when it makes others shed less.

IGNORE

holyjalopy

RankRank

# 34 ]

March 22, 2012, 12:16 AM

Hi Rothman, I’m so sorry to hear that it hasn’t been working for you.  I have no idea why it’s making your hair shed more when it makes others shed less.

IGNORE

dawgdid

Rank

Total Posts: 6

# 35 ]

March 22, 2012, 02:38 PM

Interesting topic…I have been doing this for about two weeks, and finally at the point where I can simply skip the hot water.  When I get in the shower now, the water is relatively cold (about the point where I would have avoided it when waiting for warm water), and I gradually turn it down to max cold for about 5 minutes before I get out.  It’s definitely something you get used to, and when you do, it’s awesome!!  At first, on full cold, I could only take it for about a minute.  Now i can stand there for at least 5, and 10 if I really wanted to.  Not sure about all the benes, but I do believe that it induces healthy responses to the slight stress signal, especially the vasoconstriction ans subsequent vasodilation giving you a surge of blood everywhere along with nutrients.  MY skin has also become much softer, no real need for a moisturizer anymore, and hair definitely feels and looks healthier.  I also looked today and say many, many vellus hairs along my hairline, as well as the part of my head where i had a hair transplant last year.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.