Cosmetic Alternative - Good Look Ink

Share/Bookmark

tanner84

RankRank

Total Posts: 105

February 06, 2012, 05:18 PM

So if nothing works for me, I’m either going to bite the bullet and shave my head, “think” about hair transplants (I really don’t want to get them), or use a cosmetic alternative. I’ve heard of this micro-pigmentation process that looks kind of cool. Granted it looks best if you have hair, but just look like you’re thinning. In fact what makes balding look so bad is the contrast between hair and the light reflecting from the scalp. Cover ups like toppik and other concealers have to be applied everyday. I used these keratin fibers once - and went to yoga a few hours later, and I had brown gunk dripping down my forehead, neck, and face. It was gross - plus I couldn’t touch my hair at all once I applied them. Initially they did look good though.

So I think this micro-pigmentation which is permanent might be my ticket just for the cosmetic benefit. I’ve included the link to the site I visited which has tons of before/after pictures. Some of the shots look horrible, so it’s basically on a case-by-case situation. Like I said before, it’s best if you are just filling in what you already have to give the appearance of more density. Check it out -

http://www.goodlookink.com/

Here’s my question though - I’ve heard the tattoo process in general can cause too much damage to an area with hair, and thus the follicles no longer will produce hair. On the GLI website, they claim that even though this process is not meant to encourage growth, some people have reported that they have experienced some regrowth (which makes me think of micro-needling as a good thing).

Does anyone think that micro-pigmentation will impede my efforts combating hair loss?

Image Attachments  photo-1.JPG

IGNORE

bear101

RankRank

Total Posts: 55

# 1 ]

February 06, 2012, 05:23 PM

Why wouldn’t you consider transplants? You can still keep your hair very short if you have a quality FUE.

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 2 ]

February 06, 2012, 05:30 PM

1.) I keep my hair short, and the donor scar is quite apparent in the pictures I’ve seen with guys with short hair.
2.) I was told after an initial consultation in person that I would need 2 separate procedures (so 2 donor scars at least).
3.) Cost - upwards of around $8,000-10,000 per treatment
4.) Possibility that a lot of the grafts won’t take (which is a very true possibility)

I think hair transplants would look fine, and I haven’t completely taken that option off the table. However, I simply want to consider all my options and try other alternatives first. Plus I’m 28 now, and applying to medical school in May. At this point in life, I don’t have that kind of money any ways, crappy credit, and student loan debt.

IGNORE

bear101

RankRank

# 3 ]

February 06, 2012, 11:49 PM

tanner84 - February 06, 2012, 05:30 PM

1.) I keep my hair short, and the donor scar is quite apparent in the pictures I’ve seen with guys with short hair.

I was talking about FUE which is different than strip. FUE takes one follicle at a time from the donor region so you’ll end up with a bunch of very small scars that won’t be very visible even if you shave it.

2.) I was told after an initial consultation in person that I would need 2 separate procedures (so 2 donor scars at least).

A good doctor will not give you 2 separate scars. Both strip procedures would be merged into one scar.

3.) Cost - upwards of around $8,000-10,000 per treatment

This is a good reason to wait. Transplants can only get better with time and won’t save you existing hair so it doesn’t make a difference if you do it now or later.

4.) Possibility that a lot of the grafts won’t take (which is a very true possibility)

If your worried about this then go FUE. It has a slightly lower yield, but is rapidly being improved by technology. Robots (ARTAS system) can extract grafts now with supposedly the same yield as strip.

I think hair transplants would look fine, and I haven’t completely taken that option off the table. However, I simply want to consider all my options and try other alternatives first. Plus I’m 28 now, and applying to medical school in May. At this point in life, I don’t have that kind of money any ways, crappy credit, and student loan debt.

There are a lot of variables with the tatooing/micropigmentation that need to be answered. It will only look natural if there is already some hair there. And the hair must be buzzed or it will look out of place. A tattooed hairline would look very unnatural. What if the color fades or changes? What if the tattoos stretch?

It might be a good complement with and FUE procedure or to help cover up a strip scar.

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 4 ]

February 06, 2012, 11:57 PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond to all my different points. I’ll check out FUE… however great news: I should be getting a laser messiah soon, and Dr. Alex Khadavi, the guy behind Revivogen, responded to an email saying that LLLT would pair very well with Revivogen. So I’m going to give it a shot!

IGNORE

Rothman

RankRank

Total Posts: 34

# 5 ]

February 07, 2012, 07:34 PM

What happens when your actual remaining hair turns grey?

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 6 ]

February 07, 2012, 11:45 PM

I’m not an expert, sorry. I just stumbled across the site. You should check it out.

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

Total Posts: 246

# 7 ]

February 08, 2012, 08:52 PM

tanner, I think you’re link is an interesting alternative to a hair transplant.  i remember a few years back on another forum a guy saying he was a tattoo artist and had drawn a few dots on himself and liking the effect.

As for whether it is has a negative affect on existing hairs, I think that is a valid point.  They may have an answer for that, but I’m not sure you can trust them.  I wonder if they are the only company that does this.

interesting find.

Tried a lot of things, never stuck with anything. Don’t do that

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 8 ]

February 08, 2012, 09:05 PM

Thanks - yeah I got a quote from them. They want to charge around $5,000 for my individual case treatment. Supposedly this is under the basis that I’m a Norwood 7. I don’t think I’m a traditional Norwood 7, and I don’t think they care. I kind of feel like they are just wanting to profit.

This is why I am so invested in this site here. The creators/editors are genuinely doing the work they do because they care. Sure, money is important, and they might make some, but I don’t feel like it’s their main motivation (even when selling something). OMG’s process for the laser helmet gives him a small percentage that covers his time/work. Everything else goes to the materials. Also with the rejuveplex - to my understanding they are doing what they can to keep the cost low while maintaining high quality ingredients - all good things in my book!

I’m going to give LLLT a go for a year or so. I’m also on revivogen now. The last resort is this tattoo process or perhaps FUE. I’m 28 now, and for the last few years I’ve been ashamed of the way I look. No matter how ripped I get or how much I take care of my skin, my hair or lack there of stands out as my ugly-duckling feature. I’m staying very positive though - when I think about it, I take a deep breath and say “no big deal dude - don’t worry about it - you’ve got options - you still get a laid a lot - it’s not the end of the world”

Image Attachments  photo-4.JPGphoto-5.JPG

IGNORE

bear101

RankRank

# 9 ]

February 09, 2012, 06:23 PM

tanner64,

Dr. Bill Rassman’s company also does tatooing (AKA scalp micropigmentation). You could check his website out. I don’t know it off-hand so you’ll have to google it.

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

# 10 ]

February 11, 2012, 11:25 AM

tanner, though you may not be as completely hair free on top as a Norwood 7, from their perspective they may view the procedure as the same thing….. Meaning they would have to treat the whole top of your head to give you the best effect, just as transplant surgeon would tell you too.

$5,000 is the same cost as a traditional hair transplant of about 1200 grafts (not fue).  I had that done about 7 years ago.  I’m glad I did it, but 1,200 hairs do not cover a very large area. It basically only filled in a few thinning spots I had at the time. I probably need to do another 1500-2000 to get the full head of hair look without any concealer that I would like. My hair loss now is a little more filled in than yours, but not by a huge amount.  My guess from those pictures are that you would also need about 2000 transplanted hairs which would probably cost around $10,000 traditional or $15,000-$20,000 with fue.

a combination of both a smaller transplant and that tattoo would wind up costing around $10,000 I bet.

My point is that I just don’t think it’s worth the cost. If it was a cheaper price I think I would give more thought to it, but for $5,000 I think I’d rather just get real hair. Now if the tattoo were only $2,000 for the entire scalp, then I would give it some serious thought as a nice cosmetic alternative to using concealer.

in my mind that’s the better comparison:  The tatoo vs the concealer, rather than the tatoo vs the transplant.

IGNORE

bear101

RankRank

# 11 ]

February 11, 2012, 03:28 PM

mj,

I agree with almost everything you are saying, except the graft number. I’ve been looking at transplants for quite a while now and frequent the transplant websites.

1500-2000 grafts is what you need to solidy a hairline or lower it by 1/4 inch. That would not be even close to what tanner needs. Without doing any calculations I’d say tanner needs around 5000+ grafts. In that respect, tanner it might be your best bet to do standard FUT and not FUE. From what I’ve seen 2000 grafts spread over a large area would hardly be noticeable. It might sound like a lot but to get a density that creates and illusion of normal hair density this would not work.

IGNORE

bear101

RankRank

# 12 ]

February 11, 2012, 03:28 PM

mj,

I agree with almost everything you are saying, except the graft number. I’ve been looking at transplants for quite a while now and frequent the transplant websites.

1500-2000 grafts is what you need to solidy a hairline or lower it by 1/4 inch. That would not be even close to what tanner needs. Without doing any calculations I’d say tanner needs around 5000+ grafts. In that respect, tanner it might be your best bet to do standard FUT and not FUE. From what I’ve seen 2000 grafts spread over a large area would hardly be noticeable. It might sound like a lot but to get a density that creates and illusion of normal hair density this would not work.

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

# 13 ]

February 11, 2012, 06:06 PM

in looking at his pics again. I agree that I was mistaken.  The first pic shown at the top of the thread shows another perspective I hadn’t looked at. From the other two, I thought a flash was exaggerating the amount of hair loss. Sorry Tanner, I agree with Bear that you will need more than 2,000 grafts. I’m not sure if it’s as high as 5,000. but you will need substantially more than 2,000. 

And IMO a laser is not going to do much for you in terms of regrowth. It will most likely end your cycle of hair loss, but at this point a transplant is really your best option if your goal is to return to a thicker looking head of hair again.

That would put your costs closer to $15,000 for a standard transplant, which is definitely pricey and may change your perspective on your approach to all of this..

At that price point, you may be leaning towards the $5000 tattoo vs the $15,000 transplant.  that’s a tough call.  The transplant is nearly guaranteed to look good, but the tattoo would be much more cost effective….wow, that’s a tough call. Keep us posted on what you decide!

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 14 ]

February 12, 2012, 12:29 AM

Thanks for your replies. Why don’t you think that LLLT and a good topical wouldn’t work for me?

I need to get those pictures from the doctor. They are a magnified look at my scalp and there are hundreds of miniaturized hairs, and none of the follicles were hair-less. According to her and another MD I am not past the point of regrowth. You can even see with the naked eye small blond hairs even at the front hairline. My hair loss has been happening since my early 20s, but it wasn’t really noticeable until 2-3 years ago. So even if I could get back what I had 30 months ago, I’d be happy. In addition, I’m getting ready to purchase a laser helmet from OMG - he’s seen all my pictures. I don’t think he’d steer me wrong.

I really want to give laser and the topicals a year. I’ll be in medical school by then. If nothing works, I’m going to consider all my options at that point. However, at the least I guess I’ll hold on to the hair that I have. I don’t look that bad with a buzz cut smile

IGNORE

mj

RankRank

# 15 ]

February 12, 2012, 08:59 AM

great attitude…hopefully you get results.  Given your above statement, any results you get/or lack of results you get could be meaningful to a lot of people.  Yours would be an interesting case study….can lasers mixed with an anti-dht topical reverse hair miniaturization?

You should post a monthly set of pictures.

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 16 ]

February 14, 2012, 12:45 AM

Will do

IGNORE

curls

Rank

Total Posts: 8

# 17 ]

February 14, 2012, 04:17 AM

Hi, I’ve actually still got a good set of hair, but in my family the girls lose their hair. And I must say that my hair has already been starting to fall out since a couple of years. The typically female baldness pattern, in the middle of the head starting from the forehead. I’ve taken a couple of missioners to improve my scalp and fight baldness. I always wash my hair with biological shampoo. I ‘m colouring my hair with all natural henna. That does wonders for the hair too. They get all soft and shiny in stead of all dried out. No itchy scalp anymore. YES !! Next to that I’m taking Chinese herbs to strenghten Liver. My acupuncturist prescribed them to me. The herbs work very well. To check them out I used them a couple of months, then stopped to see the difference. And there was a big difference. No herbs ment hairloss. So I started taking them again and in a couple of weeks the hair loss stopped again. The only downside is that the herbs taste terrible, really!! But I even got used to that. Next to the herbs the acupuncturist gave me scalp treatments. All together it works. But I must say that I would really like to try the LLLT cap. I believe in the light up front and I hope to be able to say that I not only believe but I knów it works. snake

Greetings from Holland.

IGNORE

curls

Rank

Total Posts: 8

# 18 ]

February 14, 2012, 04:36 AM

Ow, I forgot to mention that I take coloïdal silver. That’s really great overall. I cannot say that my hair grew back since I’ve been taking it, but I do feel better, more energetic since I’ve been using it. I take about 1 spoon twice a day.

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 19 ]

February 14, 2012, 11:21 PM

Be careful of too much colloidal silver - you don’t wanna turn blue on us smile

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.