LLLT and shedding… with the Igrow

Share/Bookmark

freezyfreakies

Rank

Total Posts: 5

March 03, 2012, 12:39 AM

I know there have been some threads about this around, and many feel they were done to discredit LLLT.  That isn’t at all my intention, I do truly believe it works and am merely posting to help understand and get advice.  I’ve posted the key information in a note form so no one has to read a novel, I can get rather wordy….

-Started lasering beginning of April 2011

- Igrow laser helmet, 21 lasers, 30 LEDs -(Yes I know I got ripped off - what I get for wanting pulsation)
- 3 times a week, 20-25 per session

- Very positive results first 4 months.  Decreased shedding, hair seemed thicker, new velus and terminal hairs at the temples.  Hair looked the best it had in years.

-  August hair started to seem thinner at front, more scalp showing.  Noticed increased shedding in shower, when styling hair.  When glide hand over top of head would lose 1-3 hairs.  Had never had shedding like this before. 

-Continued lasering, knew shedding was a part of it but shed continued.  Finally stopped for 2 weeks in October, then continued at 3x, 10 mins per session.  Shedding stopped early November, started up again early December.  Shedding continues to this day.

-Tried various things to stop, SLS free shampoos, healthier diet, stress reduction,  saw doctor - had thyroid levels, etc checked.

-started beta sitosterol (375 mg) in October, under advice I needed a dht blocker and didn’t want to go on Finasteride with the potential sides.

- Quit minox in late December, thinking perhaps a response with LLLT was causing the shed.

-  have thought it could be over stimulation - manufacturer claims Igrow puts out 29 J/cm^2, but shedding continues despite using as little as 4 minutes per session or the full 20 minute sessions.

- Have had some stress in my life, hair loss included, but was in the midst of an idiot contractor and kitchen renovation from April-August, which was more stressful and yet I had positive results. 

So there it is.  Im not paniced, just want this to stop.  My main questions are what would you suggest to help alieviate this? should I stop using LLLT, get a better helmet, go back on minox or what?  Also,

Do you feel the hair I have shed in the past 7 months will grow back?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 897

# 1 ]

March 03, 2012, 05:56 PM

Quit minox in late December, thinking perhaps a response with LLLT was causing the shed.

Hey, freezyfreakies…

Look no further than that quote right above.  That’s the be all/end all of it -period. 

You’re really focusing a lot on laser therapy being the root of this (you got 3/4’s of the way finished with your post before you even mentioned you were on minox -and QUIT IT, the most well known cause of shedding woes), and I wouldn’t even consider 21 lasers spread over the whole head really being “laser therapy” to begin with, so that’s not a factor at all.  You aren’t getting anywhere close to the energy that a professional laser clinic device gives.

I speak to unfortunate minox users all the time through email that are devastated by this (especially women, by the way).  It usually takes several months for the shed to start -sometimes up to six months- and then it lasts for months, and it can take up to a YEAR for your hair to normalize again.  Yes, this shed can start while you are still on it, too -that happened the last two times I was on it in the late 90’s/early to mid 2000’s.

I don’t mean to be “doom and gloom” sounding, but I’m trying to stress to the others that read this thread DO NOT START MINOX.  One day you will have to “pay the piper”.

If it worked, GOOD GOD I’d have every single damn laser helmet customer of mine on it!  It doesn’t… it’s the opposite for a SIGNIFICANT PROPORTION of people!

I had many problems in my past with this, by the way.  I’ve been on minox several times for multi-year sentences.  The way it usually works is this… most people get good results with it the first few months -maybe even the first entire year.  They are fleeting, though, and you spend years of your life trying to recapture it.  Almost every single pro-minox post you see in forums are done by people that have used it for less than one year.  Almost every single post you see from minox users after that are done by people that are looking to GET OFF of minox and minimize the shed.  Oh, shills are rampant when it comes to minox as well, but we all know this.

Obviously, minox grows hair.  TECHNICALLY.  ...AT WHAT COST, though!  Veterans stay away from it, and I will absolutely continue to advise people to never touch the stuff.  With many, many people, not only does it lose it’s effectiveness, but it spits in your eye, too, by causing this massive shed!

I’m sorry you were tricked into thinking that LLLT could cause that, but it wouldn’t, and I like I said I seriously doubt the igrow helmet would give you enough energy to have much of an impact anyway -good or bad.  Your problem is the minox, and there isn’t a whole lot you can do about it right now.

THE GOOD NEWS is that it *should* come back.  You may still have some time left before it finishes, but it should return back to normal.

Do not start that awful minox crap again!  Oh, one other word about “overstimulation” from laser devices…  not one single person that I’ve ever talked to that was using a laser helmet incorrectly, getting way too much stimulation, ever had a shedding problem.  The two DO NOT CORRELATE.  You won’t get results, but you won’t get a shed, either.

Good luck, stay positive, and I don’t know… maybe something like coconut oil would help the shed.

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 2 ]

March 03, 2012, 06:04 PM

By the way, you should edit your post and change the title of this thread to say:

“LLLT and Shedding ...WITH THE iGROW”

Ha ha ha, I’m so sick of people seing some title like yours and assuming my helmet is involved!

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 3 ]

March 03, 2012, 09:53 PM

Ha ha!  You changed it!  Great!  In return, a bit of cool laser knowledge…

429397_400368999979878_100000203445847_1779983_1486372297_n.jpg

I had no idea that laser light would completely shine through TEETH! Check out how those teeth are completely irradiated!

I’m developing a bad tooth and the gums are swollen, and I rigged something up to help that -but since I see that light goes all the way through the teeth, I’m hoping that it will actually help the root as well.

IGNORE

freezyfreakies

Rank

Total Posts: 5

# 4 ]

March 03, 2012, 10:03 PM

OMG, thanks for the response.  Since the shed started I have been searching for the answer on this, as to why it started.  I have thought it was minox for a while (see below), but as the shed continues it becomes frustrating and I began to doubt if I had made the right choice.  So its good to get some wisdom and support, I appreciate that. 

My leading culprit became Minox after looking at this carefully, and thats why i finally decided to quit.  I know I have read threads about people saying Minox inhibits LLLT because of Potassium channels vs. Calcium channels.  I do think Minox inhibits LLLT, but for a different reason.  Minox opens ATP sensitive potassium channels.  LLLT increases ATP levels in the scalp.  This extra ATP, closes the potassium channels thereby overriding the effects of minoxidil.  This is basically the same as quiting minoxidil cold turkey and so 4-5 months later, a shed starts just as if you had quit minoxidil.  Would be interested to hear others opinions on this.

IGNORE

Swede

Rank

Total Posts: 1

# 5 ]

March 06, 2012, 06:13 AM

I stopped Propecia six months ago and I´ve shed alot hair since then. Do you think it will grow back?
I recently started using Topical Spironolactone S5 Cream instead.

I´ve used Minox for probably ten years. But the last year only the foam and only once a day.

OMG, would you recommend me to quit Minox? I doubt it helps anymore but I don´t want to see another shed right now.

(I´ve used Laser Messiah II for a year now).

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

# 6 ]

March 06, 2012, 09:52 AM

Swede…

I’m always on the fence about quitting minox because it does cause such a bad shed.  You have to ask yourself if you want to go ahead and get it over with or not -and it sounds like you’d rather not so, if I were you, I don’t think I’d quit it.  If you’ve been using rogaine that long without big shedding problems, then I’d say you’re one of the lucky ones that can use it without problems!

Shedded hair should come back, though.

I wonder if there isn’t something we can do to limit shedding though.  I’m just thinking outloud and I don’t know how much of a “wives’ tale” this stuff is, but I actually wonder if “hair pulling” might help.  I’ve always heard that if you exert some outward pull on the hair, it’ll cause the hair to actually try to stay in longer.  Anecdotal evidence of this is when people with long hair cut it short, and then have big sheds and lose a lot of their hair several months afterwards (the long hair was pulling on the follicles more).  Think “Andre Agassi”.

It is a fact, as we all know by the recent news articles, that the Kennedys (and Christopher Walken) all did it, and they did it for the common sensical reasons here: http://www.worldhairloss.org/index.php/hairloss/page2-featuredcontributors/the_mechanics_of_male_pattern_baldness

I am a firm beliver that muscle tension plays a part, and lifting up the hair and pulling it in all directions -front, back, side to side, up- seems to alleviate this part of it.  I actually have been doing this casually for a few months.  Christopher Walken said that he has had the lifelong habit of doing it while he watches the news, so I do it while watching reruns of Family Guy.  I don’t know if it works, but what’s funny is that after a while your scalp FEELS better.

Anyway, lol… no clue if that would help shedding!  I do know this… the first time I did it, I looked down to my hands afterwards and was like “ZOH MY GOD!” because I had pulled out a TON of hair!  That hasn’t happened since, though -I think that was hair that was about to shed on it’s own.

The good thing is that this is FREE.  It’s only problem is that it’s “laugh-at-able” by other forum members.  smile  I’ll probably keep doing it, though -although I should have started this at 18, not at 38, for it to really make a difference if it even works.

You know, I think one of the reasons the Kennedys and Walken have stuck with this is because after a few weeks, it is sort of addictive.  It’s an interesting sensation for sure.

-O.M.G.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.