Calorie Restriction. Our Health And Our Hair.

Share/Bookmark

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

April 25, 2012, 04:37 AM

The link below is an idea I’ve been kicking around for awhile. I believe that our health is more about how much we eat rather than what we eat. It appears that calorie restriction is one of the most powerful anitaging tools we have. It also puches holes in the whole dieting theory that revolves around NOT LOWERING METABOLIC RATE. I think long term this is unhealthy. Here’s a really great article on the potential antiaging benefit of simply eating less. I thought some of you guys might be interested in it.

http://www.livescience.com/2666-live-longer-anti-aging-trick-works.html

Now I’ve been experimenting with this idea for over a year. The problem with this whole concept is that you have to willing to walk around hungry some of the time. But I think I have a way around that whole problem. Willpower.

I read a study about a year or so ago that showed that willpower is a buildable thing. The more often you resist a temptation, the stronger your will power becomes thereby making it easier to resist the same temptation again.

I’ve personally put this idea to the test over the last year and I can personally testify that will power is indeed buildable. I’ve lost about 40 pounds so far and feel better than I have in years. I do so by eating a great deal less. My blood pressure is lower and my resting pulse rate is lower as well. I’ve found that once you go through a relatively brief period of suffering and resisting excess food intake….it get’s easier and easier to do. I’ve also found that will power will also help you get your ass off the couch and exercise as well. Currently I have been jogging 7.2 mils 5-6 days a week. Keep in mind I’m 52 years old.

Conversely when you give into a temptation your will power weakens. Could this explain why we as humans seem to always being going through so many “ups and Downs”? Why we seem to get on positive cycles where we do the things we should be doing (exercising and watching what we eat) to periods where we quit exercising and then begin eating like pigs?

The key to longevity could very well turn out to be simple will power. Understanding how to build it and maintain it could change our lives for the better. Just my humble opinion. Hey…it’s working for me.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 1 ]

April 25, 2012, 01:15 PM

Hey Zix when you are 102 and still running 7.2 mi 5-6 days a week, then I will stand up and listen.  Just kidding!  It looks like caloric restriction, if you start in your middle years, may add 5 years to your life at the most.  I am not sure that is worth the sacrifice of being hungry and miserable all the time. 

I am lean already.  If an extreme approach could add 20 years, then it would be worth considering.  My middle approach is that you should always leave the table a little hungry, wake up a little sleepy, quit having sex when you are still a little horny.  Basically don’t live your normal everyday life to saturation. 

I agree about willpower though.  I quit eating almost all refined sugar about 5 years ago.  It was hard, but with willpower and time it became easier.  Plus they put sugar in everything, so you have to be diligent and read your labels!  I think being mostly vegan, eating very little refined sugar, exercising regularly will do as much for me as caloric restriction.  Of course if one does extreme 50% caloric restriction you might get more like 10 years, but wow, how miserable would that be.  Plus there is no guarantee you will get those extra years.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 2 ]

April 25, 2012, 01:34 PM

Hi Lapwing.

I am not sure that is worth the sacrifice of being hungry and miserable all the time.

Well that’s kind of my point. I’m not miserable because I have strengthened my willpower. Next I want to transition into eating “better” and also add a small amount of weight lifting to my exercise program. So I will really be putting the whole “willpower is trainable” to the test once again.

But you do bring up a good point about longevity. What’s so great about living to 100 anyway? That’s not really why I’m doing this. I’m doing this so I will I feel better today.

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

Total Posts: 105

# 3 ]

April 25, 2012, 04:41 PM

Hunger is our body’s way of telling us that we need nutrients. Honestly though, you don’t need to eat a steak to curb that hunger. Usually, a small portion of protein, and even smaller portion of carbohydrates, and then a big portion of vegetables, with a tall glass of water does the trick. If you give your body a source of quality nutrition, you won’t need to eat as much (and that’s just incidental). I’ve lost 30lbs in 4 months, just by eating smarter, juicing, having one cheat day a week (Saturdays I drink beer, go out to eat, splurge, etc), and eliminating carbohydrates in the evening. Of course I work out 6X week as well.

I am never hungry either - and it’s not at all connected to willpower. It’s simply the fact that I don’t crave refined sugar, saturated fats, fried crap, etc anymore… However, if for some reason I’m working a long shift or I didn’t pack enough food, and I do get hungry… I will eat ANYTHING. And if for some odd reason I do get a craving for something that really isn’t healthy, I save it for my cheat day. So ultimately, in my opinion this whole “healthy eating” thing isn’t a stepping stone to better health, it really is all about forming a new way of life. Once that happens, will power isn’t even in the equation.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

# 4 ]

April 25, 2012, 04:59 PM

Hi Tanner. Thanks for joinging in the discussion. I sort of agree with you. However I think it’s still willpower that got you there and keeps you there. Like you said you’re not hungry most of the time because you have built up a strong willpower. You also use your willpower for “cheat day”. Regardless whether you believe in the “willpower is buildable theory” or not. You’re still doing the things you need to do to live longer, healthier and happier. You’re still eating a lot less. You’ve just sort of found your own way to get the job done. Same here.

Now there is a point you make about eating a bit here and there. Willpower is strongest when blood sugar levels don’t get too low. So you’ve hit upon a physiologic fact that goes along with the whole willpower thing.

But the main reason many Americans are so fat and unhealthy is that they don’t want to hear they have to deny themselves some temporary pleasures to enjoy other pleasures such as feeling good. They some how want to believe they can have it all. They think they can eat at Burger King, sit on the couch all day and feel fine. That’s the myth that is driven into their head by the media in this country. Whenever we see TV commercials for a company like MacDonalds…they always show happy, thin healthy people eating that crap. It sends the message to all of us that we can do both. Very few of us can do that.

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

Total Posts: 105

# 5 ]

April 25, 2012, 05:14 PM

Yeah for me though, I have very low willpower. I used to be a smoker, and tried quitting so many times, but the moment I wanted a cigarette, there was no internal fight with an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other. The solution for me was chantix. It completely eliminated my cravings, and I’ve been smoke free for 2 years now. So it wasn’t will power that got me to quit, it was a prescription medication and forming a new habit of not smoking.

Same thing with food and working out. What got me to where I’m at now is simply wanting to be fit and healthy more than those salty McDonald’s fries.

I do agree with you though about the general population. I’m applying to medical school in a few months, and I work as a massage therapist now, and when it comes to self-care and making healthy choices… in general people don’t usually make the right ones. It’s definitely a skewed perception created by pills, commercials, marketing, etc.

So maybe the jist of this thread is to simply take responsibility for your hair, health, and lifestyle. If your situation requires will power, then work on it. If you need more help, talk to a naturopath or osteopath (like I did with smoking). We all must realize that it is all on us.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 6 ]

April 25, 2012, 09:55 PM

I was around these medical doctor residents for a while.  Talk about unhealthy diets and lifestyles.  Fast food, junk food, colas, power drinks, terrible sleeping habits, non-stop high stress.  It is part of their culture it seems.  And these guys are suppose to be health professionals.  It is a joke! 

I thought the gist of this thread was about eating a lot less through will power to achieve a longer healthier life.  Somehow Zix’s triumph of will power trumps the misery of partial starvation or something like that.  I don’t buy it for myself.  I think I would just be bitter and always hungry and miserable.

IGNORE

scottyc33

RankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 141

# 7 ]

May 10, 2012, 10:25 PM

Zix - practice intermittent fasting, take resveratrol and ditch the “caloric restriction”. It’s not just about living longer - it’s about QUALITY of life while you’re still here.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.