Three Year Update!

Share/Bookmark

Calbruin

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

June 26, 2012, 12:03 AM

Hi Everyone,
As July 1st approaches, I would like to take the time to give all of you on the site a brief summary of my results over the course of my three years using the OMG Laser Helmet. First, let me preface this by saying that I stand to gain nothing by elucidating the virtues of the helmet.

That being said, my experience over the last three years has been nothing short of a miracle. I have regrown nearly 100% of my hair back, although the trek was long and required great patience. I began losing my hair at the age of 21, and was finally forced to seek out a solution as friends and family began to comment ( a scenario I’m sure many of you are familiar with). So began my foray into the confusing world of hair loss. By this time, I was 24.5 years old.

After 1.5 years on Minoxidil and Propecia, I began to notice some visible improvement, however my expectations were not hardly met. Although my hair quality had improved, my temples were beginning to recede deeply. I knew I needed more.

My foray into lasers initially started with the Laser Comb, which inevitably failed, however did leave me with a vital conclusion: lasers hoods seemed to have profound visual results on patients (especially younger one’s) and I intended to learn everything about them. This is when I scoured the internet and stumbled onto OMG’s DYI website for his Laser Messiah. I read every page of that website probably a half dozen times!

I took OMG’s advice from the website, and visited a local physician who offered laser hood treatments at a price of nearly 2k for 6 months. I turned down their ‘generous’ offer and proceeded home that day, knowing that the helmet was the single best decision I could make.

Finally on July 1st 2009, I received the package in the mail. Here is a brief summary of my year over year results

Y1 - The recovery year. The first 6 months was a shed fest, the final 6 months is when things began to stabilize. By the end of year 1, I saw vellous hairs began to appear colored and grew longer. Hair loss had completely stopped.

Y2 - True growth. It was at the start of this year that I reevaluated my expectations. I figured that by year 1 I would have had a lot more hair and this was simply not the case. However, this ended up being a blessing which forced me to lower the bar. I was happy with, and content to keep it that way. Much to my surprise, 6 months later I realized that my growth was beginning to take off. The last 6 months of this year were incredible. I began to receive compliments from barbers and family.

Y3-  Temples filling in - This last year has been the most impressive in that hairs which I thought were long gone in my temples, have begun to spontaneously reappear. I can honestly say that my hairline is filling back into areas which I have not seen filed since the age of 21. An anecdotal note: hair seems to be growing back exactly at the same pace and place that i lost it - those which were lost three years ago are now only beginning to reappear.

I don’t post much on here any longer because I’ve been busy living my life; I sincerely wish this for all of you, the work on this website is a godsend and I thank all of you for your perseverance and effort. I check in here from time to time - my helmet is still working perfectly three years later (a testament to its sturdiness, although I’d be lying if I said I don’t have an emergency fund in case the lights turn off!)

Most importantly I would like to thank OMG. OMG thank you so much for the confidence your helmet has given me in my life. There is not a day that goes by where I don’t feel the positive influence of your work in my life. Thank you so much for giving me back my confidence. Thank you.

Nicholas aka Calbruin

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 1 ]

June 26, 2012, 12:48 AM

Calbruin,

That is awesome!  I am about at the same time mark with LLLT.  My results are good, but not as good as yours.  How often do you use the helmet and how minutes per session?  Did you start and continued to use the recommended 3x20 minutes per week for 3 years?  I have kind of tapered off and now do it twice a week or every 5 days or so if things get busy.  I am think still getting some improvement, but at a very slow rate.  The last person who cut my hair complimented my front hair line.  That was very cool to hear.

IGNORE

dZine

RankRank

Total Posts: 80

# 2 ]

June 26, 2012, 02:44 PM

Those result are quite unbelievable!
Would you happen to have some photo’s over time?

I am on LLLT for about 16 months but no regrow whatsoever.. At most I have reach stabilisation. I was 22 years old when I started LLLT, so my situation should be about the same, but unfortunately is not;).

I am also very interested in your regime. 3*20 min? What else? Are you still using minox and propecia?

IGNORE

TrueGround

RankRank

Total Posts: 79

# 3 ]

June 26, 2012, 06:20 PM

Calbruin,

That’s fantastic man.  You must feel like you’re on top of the world right now.  I know if I got that kind of regrowth,  I’d probably quit my job, move to some island, party my ass off for a year and then come back to reality smile

I’m just waiting on some diodes and I’ll be ready to start laser therapy for the first time with a pulse drive as well.  I started slowly receding around 19 or 20 years old.  I’m now 24, a NW 3 and starting to thin a bit in the vertex.  If I could improve half (.5) a Norwood (as a result of vellous hairs going terminal at the hairline) and thicken up the crown - I’d consider it a huge success!

On the pulse drive note, have any of you long-term laser users picked up a pulse drive and noticed any additional benefit as a result (compared to laser therapy w/o pulsation)?

Thanks guys,
TG

IGNORE

Calbruin

RankRank

# 4 ]

June 27, 2012, 01:46 AM

Hi All,
Thanks for the kind remarks.To answer your questions:

Lapwig - My sessions are 20 X 3. Every year I have taken two to three weeks off.

Dzine - I’d like to tell you I have some convincing pictures, but before and during my first year I was fairly depressed about my hair loss situation. Needless to say pictures are a bit scarce during this period. However, I do have a few which were taken in broad daylight circa 3 years ago (they were not take with the explicit purpose of establishing my hair loss progress). I can post or send them to you if you like.

TrueGround - Hang in there. As I mentioned, it was in the last 6 months of my second year that things rapidly improved. Everyone is different, but your youth should be a huge help towards potential regrowth. I should also mention that I am on both Minox and Fin; when I can finally get off these drugs a visit to an island is long overdue!  I’ve never experimented with pulse drives, but I am definitely interested in trying this out in the next year or so.

IGNORE

hairmore

RankRank

Total Posts: 33

# 5 ]

June 27, 2012, 02:43 AM

Calbruin,

what a timely thread, I needed that sort of encouragement as I’m going through a huge shed myself at the moment, after starting LLLT and a few other things 2-3 month ago.
It’s great to hear that things worked out for you over time.

I have so many questions it’s not funny, fortunately quite a few of them have already been answered.

1. Do you wash your hair right before LLLT or have any other routine directly in conjunction with LLLT?

2. Do you take minox every day? 1ml morning and night, also on laser days?

3. Do you take any supplements geared towards hair loss, or any special shampoos or other topicals?

I was sure I had more questions, but can’t think of them now.

Again, thanks for starting this threat and giving me new believe in what I’m doing!

IGNORE

Calbruin

RankRank

# 6 ]

July 01, 2012, 08:07 PM

Hi Hairmore,

Sorry for the delay - a bit busy with work at the moment.

1) Absolutely wash every time with out exception. Apply LLLT at 20 to 25 mins three days a week. Always in the evening.

2) YES. Once a day 6 days a week. Coverage is key, so I do exceed 1 ml, probably in the range of 2ml. Only in the evenings, and always after lasering. An ancedotal note: I have a soft brush which I use after applying the minox. I then use the soft brush to fully stroke my scalp, front to back. I typically stroke my hair 50 to 75 times - I get a similar ‘head pump’ from this process as I do with LLLT. As far as progress goes, I really believe that this was a central piece towards my own personal success.

3) No for supplements, yes for herbal shampoos. Not especially committed to the herbal shampoo, but since it takes very little work I have committed it to my regimen for about 2 years.

Best of luck, glad to help - feel free to ask any other questions!

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

Total Posts: 81

# 7 ]

July 02, 2012, 03:24 PM

Sounds very promising and glad to read as I have just completed 4 months of using my home made 50 diode device. I have to laser in 3 places which takes an hour each session but for now I don’t mind. I use either Emu oil or conditioner when lasering as wet hair and skin will help light absorption. I always tan better with moisturized skin.

One thing that puzzles me though are some of the amazing results like here for example after only a few months, not years

http://www.actionhair.co.nz/index/Hair Loss Results.htm

This is the best photographic proof I have seen of lasers as the net is quite sparse of convincing documentation.

BTW- So far I have seen no noticeable extra growth but by your results, it’s early days and I have been receding since 1987 when I was 20. I am now 45 but had a helping hand 5 years ago with a transplant which still looks fine.

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

Total Posts: 105

# 8 ]

July 08, 2012, 09:32 PM

So I’ve been using Revivogen for almost 6 months, and a 425 OMG laser helmet 3X a week for 5 months. I’ve got a lot of regrowth, and when I say regrowth, tons of vellus hairs growing. You can see them with the naked eye. In fact, my barber noticed a couple of months ago, and then a friend of mine did a double take when she looked at my hair “at the right lighting” saying she could see a lot of blond hairs. This is all good, but what do I do now?

It seems like I go through phases where my hair looks better and worse, which I’m guessing are the “SHEDS”. I keep my hair pretty short (like on a 2 guard) so it’s really hard to notice sheds.

Ultimately, my question is - how do I get these vellus hairs to turn terminal?

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 9 ]

July 08, 2012, 09:33 PM

btw, I’m 28yo, and I started thinning in my early 20s, but the last 3 or so years have been a rapid progression.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 10 ]

July 09, 2012, 01:05 AM

tanner84,

It is tough.  Hair goes through cycles and they are so slow as well.  You have to hang in there.  Some weeks I think my hair loss woes are over and then I will go through some bad weeks.

I can’t tell you how many times I have heard these vellus hair success stories.  There is not much more you can do.  It sounds like you have good a routine, just stick with and tweak it a bit as you learn more. 

Unfortunately modest hair regrowth is the best you can probably get.  So most of those new hairs won’t go terminal.  The good news is the more active follicles you have now the better your results will be when new and better treatments come along.

I think MSM and biosil could help you some more, if you are not taking these already.  They are good for thickening hair and prolonging the anagen phase.

IGNORE

tanner84

RankRank

# 11 ]

July 12, 2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. I WILL hang in there and hopefully so will my lil vellus hairs. I’ll pick up some MSM and biosil next time I’m in the market for more supplements. Currently, I’m focusing on studying for an MCAT right now, and most of my energy is either hittin’ the books or work. I would love to get on the ImmortalHair regimen.

I do have a pretty good routine, but I think I need to focus more on health, nutrition, and general scalp condition.

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

# 12 ]

July 16, 2012, 01:36 AM

I can definitely relate to the info in your first post!!! I’ve only been on the helmet for 2 years, but my experience has been similar to yours (I’ve even been on the useless Lasercomb for 1 year before starting the helmet too). In the last couple of months I’ve had some crazy regrowth around my hair line.

It always feels SO awesome whenever I lift up my hair at the front to examine my hairline, and keep finding tiny short dark hair that weren’t there before. They keep showing up between other hairs, and in the last couple of months, even lower than my current hair line! Even better, I’ve just found some really big, dark, terminal ones, right in the middle of my temple area, where only vellus hairs usually grow!  It’s incredibly exciting because, if those are so much lower than the hair line, then I can only assume that there will be more coming.

The helmet and vitamins really did change my life, it got rid of my itchy shedding that was giving me so much stress, and it’s wonderful to know that I will never get worse than a Norwood 2 for as long as I stick with it. And with all the regrowth Ive been having recently, my self-confidence is through the roof because I know that it can only get better.

To anybody who has just began using the helmet I say, stick with it, no matter how pointless it may seem at first, it WILL work. Just keep doing it.

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

# 13 ]

July 17, 2012, 12:56 AM

That is very encouraging. It is interesting that for some it takes years rather than months for results. I have seen pics on some laser sites that show regrowth in just a few months.

IGNORE

Addicted

Rank

Total Posts: 18

# 14 ]

July 17, 2012, 02:37 AM

Question for WinterHeart and Calbruin, are any of you using the newer pulsed drive setups or the standard non pulsing silver power supply?

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

# 15 ]

July 17, 2012, 03:26 AM

You are referring to the metal box you plug the helmet into, correct? If so, then Ive been using the same old one since 2010, the silver colored rectangular one. Is there a better one? Do you think it’s worth changing mine for a newer model?

IGNORE

jkenn

RankRank

Total Posts: 24

# 16 ]

July 17, 2012, 09:16 PM

WinterHeart,

Are you on propecia or minoxidil?

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

# 17 ]

July 17, 2012, 09:33 PM

Nope, I’m afraid to touch those because of the possible side effects.
As it is now, I’m only on the helmet and the 5 supplements (Decalcify and the others) which I take once a day or every other day.
I’m 26 now and started losing my hair around 20 (or maybe a bit before, but I dont know for sure). So far, those 2 things have been working great for the last 2 year, it’s litteraly as if I didn’t have any hair loss anymore. So it’s unlikely that I’ll ever take any drug for it.

IGNORE

TrueGround

RankRank

# 18 ]

July 18, 2012, 12:24 PM

WinterHeart,

That’s awesome man!  I’m 24 now and started losing my hair around the exact same age.  I’m building my helmet right now as we speak.  Sounds like I’m on the same pace you were a couple years ago, so I’m hoping I get the same results as you and Calbruin.  I’ve had a really good feeling about starting laser therapy at a younger age and less severe level of hair loss, and you guys’ testimonials are encouraging me even further!

By the way, the power supply that Addicted is talking about is called the Pulse Drive.  John Steele (aka Zone) developed that power supply to provide pulsed frequency technology to laser diodes.  Apparently, pulsing the diodes at certain frequencies may lead to either quicker or better (hopefully both) LLLT results for hair loss.  I have a pulse drive and am hoping that is the case, as I understand you and Calbruin have been using constant wave LLLT and are getting great results.  I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted in next few months about my initial results with the Pulse Drive.  Wish me luck!

-TG

IGNORE

Calbruin

RankRank

# 19 ]

July 20, 2012, 12:05 PM

Addicted,
I’m using the regular old box that Winterheart described. As for drugs, I am on propecia, but a low dose to try to minimze side effects. I’m with Winterheart at this point - it’s as if I have no noticeable hairloss any longer.

Question for all of you guys out there: How do i go about getting a new laser helmet these days? Mine works great but I’m preparing for the day when it may stop running. Is OMG still producing these? Thanks!

IGNORE

TrueGround

RankRank

# 20 ]

July 20, 2012, 04:50 PM

WinterHeart and Calbruin,

What Norwood level were you guys when you first started LLLT and what is that status currently?

P.S. 

OMG IS still producing helmets.  I just bought one from him and finished the assembly myself yesterday.  My initial impression is great so far.  You can definitely feel some stimulation, which seemed to linger for hours after first use.  I actually was not able to sleep well last night because of it (possibly due to so much energy delivered to my scalp).  I fell asleep for 45 mins, woke up, and couldn’t pass back out til like 2 am.  Pretty much all the while I could, feel dull (not intense), lingering stimulation from the laser treatment.  I take this as a GOOD sign!

-TG

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 21 ]

July 20, 2012, 10:29 PM

TrueGround

That is a good question.  I think a NW reduction of about 1/2 is about the best you can reasonably hope for.  That is about what I got with LLLT and a good routine over 2 plus years.  I would say I went from NW 2.7 with vertex to a NW 2.2 with vertex. 

What it really boils down to is the 30 month window and how much you can get back.  Hair gone longer than 30 months before you started a good treatment routine ain’t coming back.  Maybe future treatments will be able to regenerate new hair.  So in my case I maybe got back 18 months of my 30 month window, which is not bad at all. 

The stimulation feeling is a good sign for you!

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

# 22 ]

July 21, 2012, 04:57 AM

I was Norwood 2, and still am; but I have more density than I used to.
My problem has always been with my frontal hair line. The top has always been crazy thick, and still is. The hair line, though, was thinner than the rest of my hair, and it was also more pale and less robust-looking when inspected closely.
Also, before getting on the laser therapy, it was always itchy, and I was experiencing constant shedding. I know it’s not just in my mind; I had a tick of always passing my hand through my hair, and looking for hair between my fingers to see if I was shedding. And I was! A lot! But now, I barely ever find any hair on my fingers when I do that.

Now, there are lots of very strong hairs among my hair line. It’s as if the weak ones are slowly getting replaced over time by stronger, better ones. Also, since last year, I have memorized the position of every single hair around the middle of my hair line; I know them all by heart, and they are still there, which means that my line hasn’t receeded. Also, some new ones have grown in between the old ones.

Mine works great but I’m preparing for the day when it may stop running.

Why would that happen though? I thought the diodes were supposed to have a crazy long lifespan?
Is there any reason why a helmet would just stop running altogether all of a sudden? And if that were to happen, wouldn’t the problem be with the power supply? I highly doubt that all the diodes would break down together all at the same time.

That said, it would be nice to have a second helmet, just to be ready in case some catastrophe happens to the first one…

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 23 ]

July 21, 2012, 01:32 PM

WinterHeart,

A rock-solid NW 2 is great!  Basically it is a perfect NW for a man if you are over 30 or even 25 as long as it doesn’t progress further.  It is hard to bring back the temples.  For me, my temples stabilized and my front hair line got a little regrowth.  My crown area got more density.  It is still a little thin on top, but so much better now. 

I am thinking of ordering a 2nd helmet as well while my cash supply is good.  I don’t think the helmet would stop all at once.  If it did it would be the power supply box going out.  In 3 years I have lost about 6 of about 370 diodes that burned out or stopped working.  I want a new helmet with about 450 diodes for a little more coverage.  I really believe in treating the whole scalp not just the thinning areas.

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

# 24 ]

July 22, 2012, 02:48 AM

Again, it is interesting that some see results in months, not years. I am trying to figure out why this is.

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

# 25 ]

July 22, 2012, 04:56 AM

Well, I did see “results” in the first couple of months, in the sense that my hair felt more robust (my girlfriend even commented on this when she passed her hand through my hair). Despite the shedding, it felt thicker and stronger to the touch. But I didn’t really see any significant regrowth until year 2.

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

# 26 ]

July 22, 2012, 11:08 AM

There must be something in lasers as I had worts on my fingers for some considerable time. They were starting to spread. I zapped them only for a few seconds and they were gone shortly afterwards. Amazing ! I think they could be used for healing scars and other diseases.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 27 ]

July 22, 2012, 03:19 PM

marb,

Results do show up earlier in months.  Mainly, hair diameter gets thicker, hair looks healthier and more shiny, etc.  Oh yeah, and your scalp will feel good and hair loss should have halted.  Nothing to sneeze at.  To the camera and/or human eye your hair will look much better and fuller.  It will also feel thicker when you shower your hair.  Regrowth results don’t usually come until later (9mth-2yrs).  You can do a lot with pictures to give the illusion of drastic regrowth when there is in fact none or very little.  You can’t trust photos.  There are some but very few guys that are great responders.  So they may only show those as well cheating with lighting, camera angle, hair length, comb overs etc.  Who knows.

The difference between my freshly groomed hair versus greasy and wind blown is almost night and day.  And that is all in one 24 hour period.  So according to my mirror on some days I get massive regrowth and massive hair loss all in one day.  Amazing!  This demonstrates the fallacy of cherry picking.  It all depends on the conditions that you take your photos.  Unfortunately and unethically most of the clinics and doctors cherry pick their photos to sell you a bag of goods at a premium price.  They are driven to maximum their profits regardless of actual results. 

LLLT has rich history already in treating scars and other diseases.  Hair loss treatment was just a spin off.

IGNORE

descaping

Rank

Total Posts: 3

# 28 ]

August 09, 2012, 01:05 PM

This is almost my exact same story! Starting noticing loss around age 21, went on minox for a few yrs (which helped somewhat), then got a LLLT helmet April 2009 at age 24. I wouldn’t say I’ve regrown 100% of my hair, but the regrowth has been phenomenal. That’s interesting that you say lasers especially help younger guys.

IGNORE

TrueGround

RankRank

# 29 ]

August 12, 2012, 09:52 PM

I love hearing these newer testimonials of you younger guys getting significant regrowth with your laser helmets.  It couldn’t have come at a better time, as I am also 24 and just started LLLT with a 350 diode helmet.  This thread is and will be a huge motivator in the months to come!

Thanks guys.

IGNORE

Calbruin

RankRank

# 30 ]

August 13, 2012, 02:36 AM

Glad to hear this has been a positive thread guys! I can guarantee that there will be more to follow each year from here on out.

IGNORE

BaldIsNOTDestiny

Rank

Total Posts: 19

# 31 ]

August 13, 2012, 02:42 AM

QUESTION for CalBruin:

First,I just want to say Thank You CalBruin for giving me new hope! Im a young guy as well, 21 and I started losing at about 19….

My question some of the other guys might want to look into as well is:

What color is your hair? Dark or Blonde? 

The reason Im asking is because you said you do 3x 20 mins a week. I have Black hair and started doing that same regimen but felt like I was getting WAY too much stimulation! I spoke with a few hair transplant doctors and hair loss experts including William Gaunitz and he said Darker hair is much more suseptable to overstimulation than blonde hair. And since 650 nm lasers are much stronger than 630 nM that the Gaunitz hair center uses, it can cause accelerated shedding.

Also most hair laser hoods used in clinics rotate moving the lasers along the scalp instead of keeping it on the same spot for the whole 20 mins.

I used the 650 nm for 6 months but stopped LLLT and took a little break but continued shedding like crazy.

After this post I will definitely give it a go again, but this time Im doing it for much less time per session.

My regimen is a lot like yours:

Minoxidil (i think I’ll start doing nights because the 2 a days seems to dry my scalp)
Avodart - stronger than Propecia but it seems to be working
Organic Shampoos everyday but do Regenepure maybe once a week

Thanks!

IGNORE

BaldIsNOTDestiny

Rank

Total Posts: 19

# 32 ]

August 13, 2012, 02:45 AM

Oh also! you said you use a “soft brush” to stimulate after minox? Can u give me an example of one? possibly a link to a picture online? I currently use a Boar Bristle but that definitely considered hard

IGNORE

WinterHeart

RankRank

# 33 ]

August 13, 2012, 06:15 AM

Well mine is blond, but the new shorter regrowth in my hair line is a lot darker than the older ones that have been there for a longer time.
If you think you’re getting too much stimulation, why not go for 15 minutes instead? Honestly, I said 20, but I usually shoot for a little less than that (like 17 or 18).
I don’t know how it would feel if I did get too much stimulation though. I don’t think I’d be able to tell, except for the fact that it would stop working and the itchiness and shedding would return.

I’ve never “felt” anything special after using the helmet, like some people seem to. But I don’t think it matters because it’s definitely working.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.