Digestive issues and hair loss

Share/Bookmark

Optimus Prime

Rank

Total Posts: 19

July 04, 2012, 10:54 PM

All,

During the past 8 months, I’ve had massive hair shedding.  It began at the exact same time that some digestive problems began for me.  The digestive problems were, I’m certain, a result of using antibiotics which doctors prescribed to me for various reasons.  The antibiotics killed off my good gut bacteria.  I’m convinced that the massive shedding is a result of the digestive problems (although as Joe Zix pointed out to me, stress probably worsened my condition).  In addition to the shedding, I’ve had a burning, throbbing scalp problem with scalp acne as well.  Two months ago, I started the GAPS diet for people with messed-up guts.  Since beginning the diet, my burning throbbing scalp and acne are gone (replaced by an itchy scalp, but hey that’s progress, I think).  My digestion is slowly, very slowly, recovering while I’m on this diet.  My shed continues, and probably will continue until my digestion is completely fixed.  Does anyone have experience with this sort of issue?  I’m curious whether the hair lost due to digestion problems will grow back once the digestion is fixed.  A “yes” would really brighten up my outlook.  I’d even settle for a “probably”! smile

Thanks in advance,
Optimus

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 1 ]

July 07, 2012, 07:21 PM

I’m familiar with your situation as we have discussed this at length in our email conversations. I would just like to add that we are all individuals. We are all different. You have your set of areas where you tend to be weak health wise and I have mine.

We need to be as scientific about our health as possible. This includes keeping a diary of what we eat, the things we do and how well we feel. Do I personally do this? No! But it is something we should be doing. Advice from others can only take us so far. It can gives us ideas but for the most part we must find that way that enables us to feel the best and function at our highest level. Each person’s program will be different.

With me it involves eating better and running…running a lot to be quite frank about it. It involves certain vitamins and minerals. But it is always a work in progress.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

Total Posts: 253

# 2 ]

July 08, 2012, 05:19 PM

OP,

Just my two cents.  A few years ago I started taking those probiotics everyone touting so much and it nearly killed me.  Well not that but it caused me major gut problems.  I find my digestive systems works perfect by eating almost exclusively vegan (and always totally vegetarian) with lots of organic green veggies.  No junk carbs, and no added sugar.  I drink red wine mostly at about 2 bottles a week.  I used to drink beer, but now I only drink it 10 days a year.  And of course you should get decent sleep and exercise.  Exercise and good sleep will help immensely with stress.  Plus just simply learning to de-stress throughout the day is important to. 

I think if one eats a healthy vegan diet with no added sugar or very little added sugar your digestive system will work perfectly, at least mine seems to do so.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 3 ]

July 08, 2012, 06:20 PM

Lapwing….I personally don’t think I could ever wrap my mind around never eating meat. Certainly we should eat our veggies but to me life isn’t even worth living without an occassional steak or pork ribs!

I plan on retiring in two years and I do want to push my health to a whole new level. I think part of that is adding more fersh fruit and vegetables and cutting out any and all crap food.

IGNORE

Duketronix

Rank

Total Posts: 10

# 4 ]

July 08, 2012, 07:26 PM

I have gone vegan and raw and the like for stretches but currently find that for me meat is fine.  But I ONLY eat grass fed hormone free beef etc… 
Something I found interesting when I switched to this type of meat is that my cats never gave a crap about any meat I had in the house.  I would try to offer them some to be nice sometimes and they’d sniff it and turn it down. 
But they started meowing and going nuts for the grass fed stuff. 
Apparently it’s a completely different make up and WAY healthier, guess the cats can smell it?

As for hair loss.  If I eat crap I shed A TON!  like hundreds a day.  if I eat clean and healthy it stops almost completely (though it takes about a week to set in)

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 5 ]

July 08, 2012, 09:18 PM

Zix,

Wow, exiting the workforce, how sweet!  I would love to do that too, but I don’t think I have enough cash stored for that.  If you don’t mind answering, how much do you plan to live on per year?  Fixed incomes are kind of scary if you are way below retirement age (and therefore way, way below normal dying age.)

IGNORE

Optimus Prime

Rank

# 6 ]

July 11, 2012, 10:02 AM

All,

Thanks for your responses.  I should be more specific in my wording.  I definitely have a digestive problem.  I started the GAPS diet because I was losing weight rapidly (with no diet or exercise) and was getting really scared.  By the time I started the diet I’d lost a little over 30 pounds in just a few months.  The diet stopped my weight loss and improved my scalp condition.  However, I should keep open the possibility that my gut condition and current shedding are unrelated.  I have a hard time believing that they’re not related, but it is possible.  Whether or not they’re related, one thing I’ve found from reading Immortalhair’s forum is that good digestive health is important for maintaining/regrowing.  I’m focusing on fixing my digestion now, not just for that reason, but for my health in general.  I’ll be in pretty poor health unless I can start digesting my food correctly.

IGNORE

Lapwing

RankRank

# 7 ]

July 11, 2012, 12:08 PM

OP,

Since your hair loss is recent, you should be able to regrow most of it back.  You should see a good gastroenterologist immediately.  The antibiotics you took definitely could have caused a lot of problems, but you still need to be diagnosed by a professional for your current digestive problems.  They have the imaging tools and the board knowledge base to get to the root of your specific problem.  There are too many possibilities to self diagnosed this.  And I highly recommend a vegan diet for you. 

I agree with you that your scalp condition and current health status are most likely related.  Seek many points of view, professional medical diagnosis, and good luck.

IGNORE

Optimus Prime

Rank

# 8 ]

July 12, 2012, 10:07 AM

Lapwing,

Thanks for the recommendation and the good wishes.  I saw a gastroenterologist in the San Francisco area a few weeks ago who diagnosed me with gut dysbiosis.  I suspected for a long time that this is what I had.  He told me to drink lots of kefir.  I’m trying that right now.  Drinking kefir is actually part of the GAPS diet.  I was a vegetarian for 20 years prior to beginning the GAPS diet two months ago (the diet requires eating some meat and drinking lots of meat broth).  I’m planning eventually to go back to vegetarianism, but I started the GAPS diet because at the rate I was losing weight, I was afraid for my life.

Cheers,
Optimus

IGNORE

socratees

Rank

Total Posts: 9

# 9 ]

April 11, 2013, 01:28 AM

Hey Optimus,

Lots of good information here from the people above.  For myself within the past 3-5 years I noticed that I started developing some stomach problems and within the last year or two It has progressed.  I think certain things I have done have progressed this problem even more.  At one time I was drinking Blue Green Algae in the morning along with a ton of other things.  I am not saying this messed me up but in the amount and concentration there could be a possibility plus the deficiency in sleep, minerals etc.  I would definitely analyze what food you are taking in, are you getting the proper nutrition ie vitamins, minerals etc.  Zinc, iodine everything in moderation.  Sleep was a big one for me which definitely I think fast forwarded the problem.  Kefir is excellent for digestive problems as well as ginger too.  Also look into activated charcoal.  Yes it sounds strange but you can buy the capsules in the health food store take one a day and it will help you also.  Another quick remedy to help out is the baking soda from the health food store.  Make sure no chemicals are in it.  Mix a very little bit in water and drink it up.  This will help your stomach again.  Last but not least go out and get a Nutribullet.  I have been doing this every morning getting a ton of greens, hemp oil, flaxseed, fruits etc and it helps so much.  It really does man.  Its only about $100 but its your health and your life.  To combat the digestive problems try that.  I hope this helps out.  Stay off the synthetic medication as all this does is mask the problems.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.