First shed during LLLT

Share/Bookmark

dlhair

Rank

Total Posts: 8

January 08, 2013, 01:03 AM

Hi all,

Am 38, black hair, pale complexion, thinning mostly in crown (temples too) since 16.  Min/Fin gave *awesome* results 10 yrs ago which started fading after 8 mos.  Later dropped Fin after sexual sides and have used Min with various internals/topicals since then.  Started LLLT Sept 2012 and stopped Min in Nov after continued shedding.  (Coincidentally?) the shedding stopped after ceasing the Min, and vellus hairs appeared in temples and seemingly in crown.  But now the new hairs are fading.

That said, I’m curious about some possible tweaks:

- Tweak voltage between 3-5 V on power supply whenever a shed begins?

- Add PD.  Should its frequency be changed whenever a shed begins?  Is the 90-day warranty enough?  Is it worth another ~$300? (300-diode helmet ran $1000)

- Occasionally add Min; issues are irritation, plus possible conflict with LLLT.

- Add Super Zix II; tried this while on Min before but stopped due to continued irritation/shedding; might this not occur w/out Min in the picture (and with LLLT)?

Any thoughts are welcomed - thanks much!

DL

IGNORE

dlhair

Rank

# 1 ]

January 22, 2013, 10:24 PM

Bumping to add that I’ve been having pretty severe irritation during this shed, similar to pre-LLLT while on Min (discontinued Min awhile back).  Anyone else experience this during LLLT sheds??

(Will also start Super Zix II once it arrives this week)

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 900

# 2 ]

January 23, 2013, 01:13 PM

Hey, Dlhair!

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO AT ALL WITH LLLT! 

You quit minox!!!

Please excuse the dramatic fanfare with the bold and the color and the font, but this has been the bane of my existence since 2008!!!  smile

This shed is NOT a coincidence with minoxidil at all -actually, this is par for the course!!!  The minoxidil shed starts 3-6 months AFTER you quit.  I’d also unfortunately say that your shedding isn’t over—you probably have a couple of months left.

Almost every single big shed I’ve ever heard of revolves around minox (especially after quitting it).  Unfortunately, you “have to pay the piper”, and there are no tweaks with the pulsedrive, voltage, etc. that you can do to escape it.  And, what really makes this the bane of my existence is that people *always* start tweaking their other treatments, etc., like you are suggesting!

-LLLT has absolutely nothing to do with this.

...and it gets a bad rap, as in the title of this thread “First Shed during LLLT”!  Dude… you quit minox!  OF COURSE you are shedding!

Ok, though, back on track…

So, the only advice at this point it to hang with it.  Don’t tweak your other treatments -they aren’t responsible.  The shed will stabilize -it may take half of this year (hopefully not, but my last minox shed took six months to start and another six to stabilize) but it *will* stabilize. 

This is EXACTLY why I tell people that have never started minoxidil to stay away from it.  I hear these stories literally every week.  I’d probably guess that most people that will view this thread will have heard me say the “pay the piper” line before, either in a forum or a private email.  It’s true… if you start taking minoxidil, you will one day have a massive shed that starts months later, and you run the risk of blaming it on perfectly good treatments.

What’s ridiculous in my case is that every time I started minox, I *knew* that this would happen—but I just decided to “kick the can down the road”—hoping that something would magically intervene in the meantime to prevent this!  I think a lot of people that start minox feel this way, too.  So, please, everyone… take heed!  It’s not worth it to kick the can down the road!

Anyway, dlhair, like I said, the good news is that it will stop.  It probably won’t be as soon as you will want it to, but it will stop.  It will take a while for your hair to stabilize, but you’ll get back on track.

Consider it a hurdle you have to jump and where it like a scout merit badge because most veterans have been exactly where you are at least once!

Good luck, and sorry about my dramatic flair here, but you hit a sensitive point!  Minox is disastrous!

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 3 ]

January 24, 2013, 08:46 PM

Hi John. What are you doing posting here? smile

Minox only squeezes out what’s left of dying follicles. But it does not stop them from dying.

There is one advantage to minox and this is more a psychological one than anything else. Because it is “proven” by the FDA to grow hair many people will stick with it. Compliance is a huge issue with hair loss. You have to be willing to use something over the long haul. It is not what you will do in the next 6 months or even a year that will make that much difference. It is what you do over the next decade that will really matter.

Because people will often stick to minox that gives us the opportunity to add things to it that will prevent hair follicles from dying. So on one hand I would rather people used a good topical that has nothing to do with minox…..but on the other hand I know they probably won’t stick to that so perhaps using minox with certain ingredients added to it will be a better answer.

If we could just get people to stop looking in the mirror so much. If we could just get them to do their research. Then come up with a regimen. Then stick with it no matter what. They would meet with better success.

The best success I personally ever had with regrowing hair was when I said to myself “this is what I’m gonna do every day and if I go bald the hell with it”. Then to my surprise 10 months later I had more hair!

Not giving a crap is a big part of being successful. It also reduces stress and that helps with hair as well.

Dlhair…..I don’t mean to sound condescending. I did the exact same thing you are doing. I’m not smarter than you. I’ve just been dealing with this problem a lot longer than you. I hope you did not take offense to anything I said.

John you need to put my SAAB article up.

BTW hope everything is well with you.

IGNORE

hairmore

RankRank

Total Posts: 33

# 4 ]

January 25, 2013, 10:16 AM

Agree, compliance is a big thing and actually the reason I quit minox. Not because I got too lazy to apply it, but because I was asking myself:

‘I’m having some reasonable success with this stuff, but do I really want to smear this sticky mess into my hair at least once a day, lay in bed next to my beautiful wife with a head full of sticky hair? For the rest of my life? No way!’

So i quit, continued LLLT And basically followed the ‘i dont give a shit approach’  As outlined above. Guess what, my hair looks the best it has in the past five years, Even though i have lost heaps of it.

IGNORE

neutron

RankRank

Total Posts: 140

# 5 ]

January 29, 2013, 11:12 AM

Hairmore…

How long have you been using LLT as your primary treatment approach?

IGNORE

hairmore

RankRank

Total Posts: 33

# 6 ]

January 29, 2013, 05:33 PM

Very close to a year now, probably about 11 month. As i said, i definitely have much less hair then than before i started, but new hair cut and conditioner make it look better. I’ve outlined it recently in that ‘attention: successful members’ thread.

IGNORE

dlhair

Rank

# 7 ]

February 04, 2013, 12:58 AM

(Sorry for delayed reply - I’m not getting emails when ppl respond to my posts)

THANK YOU, OMG for the reply (dramatic boldness jokingly intended wink )  That opened my eyes to why any apparent success with Min over the past 10 yrs would consistently fade within months of new growth.

To clarify, I didn’t mean to imply that LLLT was causing the shed.  I see from rereading my post (not to mention the freakin’ title) that I made it seem like LLLT was the culprit.  On the contrary - after reading your/others’ research, I have high confidence that lasers help ppl in our situation.

Have read others’ posts about sheds during LLLT [*EDIT* and concluded the sheds were normal] but may have glossed over their using Min alongside it.  At any rate I’m committing to consistently NOT use Min anymore and keep with LLLT; will do my best not to give a shit when looking in the mirror too!

Joe, thanks for your feedback as well, and no offense taken.  Based on OMG’s comments, perhaps I shouldn’t try Super Zix II until the shed subsides?

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

Total Posts: 80

# 8 ]

February 04, 2013, 04:49 PM

So would I be best cutting out minox with hairmuck and just using hairmuck ?

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.