Hair Stem Cell Transplantation (Canadian Flying to Europe)

Share/Bookmark

Syzygy

Rank

Total Posts: 2

January 21, 2013, 01:04 AM

Background Info:

Genetically speaking, my father lost 75% of all his hair before the ripe old age of 25 - I am at that age now. Luckily, with the help of OMG and everyone on these forums I have been able to stabilize my hair-loss early and do not share in the same misfortune as my father.

I have been reading these forums for just over a year now and was also one of the first buyers of OMG’s Laser Messiah back in 2010 - I have used it religiously, coupled with emu-oil, daily vitamin D and reservatrol, for a year and half now and have seen speed of my hair loss slow down significantly. Also, I apologize in advance for the wall of text.

The Planned Procedure:

I have been looking around for technology in Canada and USA that guarantees a large portion of the donor area to be left intact. Most transplant clinics that I have researched use FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction), where the entire follicle is removed with a needle 0.75 to 1.0 mm in diameter. Usually, this size needle brings with it lots of scarring and severely impacts the donor areas future head growth. Then there are clinics that use FM (Follicular Multiplication) - process that attempts to remove only the upper portion of the follicle with a needle 0.7 mm in diameter, greatly reducing the chances of scarring, but limiting regrowth. According to their site, during HSI’s (Hair Science Institute’s) HST (Hair Stem Cell Transplantation) procedure, a longitudinal section of the follicle is removed with a needle 0.5 or 0.6 mm in diameter which eliminates the risk of scarring, and the regrowth in the donor area is higher than with the other methods.

The Details:

I have been in contact with a representative since early September and have slowly been gaining insight into the procedure and financial requirements. Below is some detailed information regarding the procedure:

“The number of grafts we can and/or will harvest depends largely on the quality of the skin and the hair follicles, the size of the donor area, as well as the recipient area and also your wishes. We always advice the clients to shave the whole scalp to achieve the maximum number of grafts and to have the best healing result in the recipient area. I have understood that you have no objection if we have to shave your hair short during the treatment.

In your case, we will be able to harvest around 1200-1400 grafts from the donor area. At this moment a HST treatment of 1200-1400 grafts costs € 7.900,-. Each graft may contain 1 to 3 individual hairs. The average is 2 hairs per graft, so the number of hair follicles after one treatment is about 2400-2800 hairs. We will try to harvest more grafts, but it can be only determined on the treatment day itself. When there are more grafts harvested, the price will be adjusted accordingly.

Please bear in mind that you might need consecutive treatment(s) (about 2-3 times) in the future since the existing hairs will fall out. We do not know how soon it will happen, but it will fall out someday. The consecutive treatment(s) will be decided after we evaluate the result after the 1st treatment and it also depends on your wishes.”

A worthwhile decision?:

If I do go through with the procedure, I will document the endeavor for all your viewing pleasures. However, before I make the plunge I would like the communities thoughts and research muscle on both this procedure and company. As an aside, I know they currently have a new procedure (Hair Stem Cell Injection), the introduction date of which I am currently waiting a reply to, so that will come into play when I make my final decision.

LINK (Home Page & Media)

- I think this has been the hardest I have ever worked on a first post on any forum I have had the pleasure to participate in.

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 1 ]

January 21, 2013, 04:20 PM

Hi Syzygy. Welcome to the forum.

New ideas and treatments come along all the time. We certainly would appreciate you keeping us updated on how well things work our for you. That said there are alternative strategies you could try.

For example…why not wait a year or two and see if this company is still in business? What is the hurry if you’ve stabilized you hair loss?

IGNORE

Syzygy

Rank

Total Posts: 2

# 2 ]

January 21, 2013, 04:44 PM

The Zix Creator - January 21, 2013, 04:20 PM

For example…why not wait a year or two and see if this company is still in business? What is the hurry if you’ve stabilized you hair loss?

Even though I have stabilized the rate of my hair-loss (still thinning but VERY slowly), I am still unhappy with my extremely thin crown at the moment. Also, I recently got married and as a honeymoon trip we are going to be traveling around Europe for a month - most expenses paid by our families. Therefore, the procedure would be the only thing coming out of our pockets. Personally, I will most likely not go for the full 7.9K EUR treatment of 1200-1400 grafts and get just enough transplants to thick out my trouble areas.

I have read some very promising research regarding stem cell injection on this forum that is coming in 2015 to North America, so that is when I will get the bulk of my hair put back the way it was when I was in my teens - at least, that is the plan.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.