The effectiveness in micro needling recent study.

Share/Bookmark

Kazbar

RankRank

Total Posts: 30

August 30, 2013, 04:33 AM

Came across this recent study showing the effectiveness in micro needling for hair regrowth.

http://www.ijtrichology.com/article.asp?issn=0974-7753;year=2013;volume=5;issue=1;spage=6;epage=11;aulast=Dhurat

IGNORE

KMD

Rank

Total Posts: 16

# 1 ]

August 31, 2013, 11:28 AM

Seems promising, i’ll try it out.  do you know why all patients were instructed not to apply Minoxidil on the day of procedure and to resume its application only 24 h after the Microneedling?  I thought it was effective to apply minoxidil after microneedling for optimum absorption?

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 2 ]

August 31, 2013, 04:27 PM

I don’t think there is much doubt that micro needling can be effective in the short run. I’m more concerned about the long run. Chronically injuring tissue that way could lead to fibrosis. What would the results be over 5 years?

IGNORE

Kazbar

RankRank

# 3 ]

August 31, 2013, 07:47 PM

Hi KMD, I’m not sure why, but here’s another study with regards to minoxidil and its role in certain growth factors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9580790

The Zix Creator, if we micro needle once a week achieving mild erythema; I’m not sure if this will lead to chronic injury?

IGNORE

The Zix Creator

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 638

# 4 ]

September 01, 2013, 05:26 PM

Well that’s what I’m not sure about. When you repeatedly injure tissue…and I think doing so once a week would qualify…..scar tissue (fibrosis) does start to form. Just the inflammatory process alone on a chronic basis can lead to fibrosis.

Not saying I know…just saying it would be nicer to see longer term studies. However in this commercialized cesspool we live in I doubt this will ever occur. Unfortunately so much of what we try for hair loss is “shooting in the dark”. Was 15 years ago when I started and it still is. All we can do is make our best guess.

IGNORE

ZZZ

Rank

Total Posts: 8

# 5 ]

September 02, 2013, 11:08 PM

It’s an interesting study.  It has nothing to do with absorption of minoxidil & minoxidil is abstained for 24 hrs after microneedling, probably to expedite healing and minimize irritation and possibility of infection.

It is microneedling 1x week for 10 or 12 weeks (I couldn’t figure whether it was 10 or 12).  1.5 mm needle, although they state that other sizes may also work. Its something they have to figure out.  It would be nice if 1 mm would work (and it might) cause 1.5 is on the big side.  Less than 1 mm and you probably won’t get the growth factors.

Everybody in the study is using minoxidil and nobody is using finasteride.  They probably did that for consistency, although if one wanted to try and get those results they should at least be using minoxidil.

After the 12 weeks, nothing is done, however they have observed that the results have been stable for 8 months.

Now, I’ll add in my opinion(s) - it seems like CIT (Collagen Induction Therapy) while using minoxidil.  The key is “while using minoxidil, 1.5 mm derma rolling, 1x week for 10-12 weeks”.  Collagen does generally take at least 21 days to form, so after the initial 12 weeks, this is something that might be done once every 6 - 8 weeks for maintenance.  I don’t think any reason to do more than that.  As far as it doing harm, they did the trial and the guys seemed to do OK and keep their results for at least 8 months so I’d say the evidence is that it does good. 

It seems like a scientific study and they are not selling anything (which is good).  If it’s true, then its a big positive.

IGNORE

Calbruin

RankRank

Total Posts: 49

# 6 ]

September 05, 2013, 11:40 AM

Just ordered - seems like based on the NIH study, along with other related studies it has a good safety profile; it has positive reviews over at HLT and BTT.  In addition, this seems like a relatively simple procedure, with very little time commitment (assuming I don’t look ridiculous 12 hours after applying). Finally, I have had a very difficult time addressing issues with the sides of my hair - I think this could help.

I’ll keep you guys posted on results - going to use this 1x/week, with no minox for 24 hours post application.

Calbruin

IGNORE

Kazbar

RankRank

# 7 ]

September 06, 2013, 03:07 AM

Patients had hair loss for a mean average of 4.5 years (range: 3-10 years). 4.5 years or 54 months which is greater than the 30 month window for fibrosis.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 8 ]

September 06, 2013, 12:47 PM

I think this is amazing news for dermarollers.  We’ve always wondered if they helped, and it looks like we have at least one indication that IT DOES.

I’ve been using scalp peels for over three months now and I have been instructing new laser helmet customers to do the same (and old ones that have emailed me recently).  I think it’s simply amazing, and most everyone that I know that are doing them are reporting greater stimulation and feel it’s definitely a positive benefit (three months is a little too soon to tell FOR SURE, but I’d be really, REALLY surprised if it didn’t lead to better results).

Scalp peels essentially work by micro derm-abrasion or whatever you want to call it—so it’s similar to what is going on in the study.  It essentially wounds the scalp slightly.  It, of course, does other things because there is definitely a “dissolving” action associated with it—it removes old skin this way. 

So, my thoughts are if the scalp peels add something, perhaps this could, too.

Anyway, I have a dermaroller.  I’ve never stuck with it for very long.  Maybe it would be good to add before a laser session.  I currently don’t have any idea—but the healing action of lasers would certainly help the healing process.

Ha ha, I’m unfortunately WEARING my laser helmet right now as I type this, so I’ll have to wait a few more days to try it!

By the way, for those of you that don’t know… it’s 25 MINUTES WITH THE PULSEDRIVE now!  [NOT the original power supply—that’s still 20!].  So, when the pulsedrive cycle stops at 25 minutes, turn it on for another FIVE.  This is MUCH more stimulation, and people that are doing this feel like they are getting better results!  More on that later, though…

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

Total Posts: 81

# 9 ]

September 07, 2013, 07:57 AM

Sounds good. Will have to get one. Amazon have cheap 1.5 mm rollers for around £7 with good review. I suppose similar effect is made with a coarse hair brush or any abrasive treatment.

I wonder if it will help reduce transplant donar scars ? I would love to be able to cut my hair very short and not see the scar. Also, would rolling with emu oil help?

Other things to add that would benefit are:

Inversion of body for a minute a day (yoga style or head hanging off end of bed)

Rinse with cold water before inversion (stimulates blood)

Natural salt, citrus scrub on scalp (dissolves oil etc)

Emu oil (with derma perhaps ?)

Laser (of course)

Scalp massage (We should make a vibrating helmet as I have a hand held massager)

IGNORE

Kazbar

RankRank

# 10 ]

September 07, 2013, 08:58 PM

Don’t forget to laser, according to this study low level laser irradiation at 632nm (red spectrum) enhances growth factors. This is in vitro but still interesting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11344517

laser + minoxidil + micro needling + ketoconazole shampoo = good results

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

# 11 ]

September 23, 2013, 09:33 AM

How often do you use for hairloss. Once a day, week, month ? Do you need to sterilize for scalp ?

One thing I find it the roller gets caught up in the hair so it is hard to do.

I must say these forums don’t get much activity. Where is everyone ?

IGNORE

Rosariorose9

RankRank

Total Posts: 101

# 12 ]

September 26, 2013, 02:00 PM

OverMachoGrande - September 06, 2013, 12:47 PM

...By the way, for those of you that don’t know… it’s 25 MINUTES WITH THE PULSEDRIVE now!  [NOT the original power supply—that’s still 20!].  So, when the pulsedrive cycle stops at 25 minutes, turn it on for another FIVE.  This is MUCH more stimulation, and people that are doing this feel like they are getting better results!  More on that later, though…

-O.M.G.

That’s news to me!  I’ll start doing that with my next session tomorrow…

IGNORE

Rosariorose9

RankRank

# 13 ]

September 26, 2013, 02:12 PM

By the way, speaking about the pulse drive, those green connectors are a real pain in the butt!  I’m constantly fiddling with them - fixing the wires where they enter the connectors, tightening the screws on the connectors, etc.  Not sure that there’s a ‘fix’ for this, but thought I’d mention it…

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

# 14 ]

January 13, 2014, 07:00 AM

Well I have been using the 1.5 mm roller for about 3.5 months and I can say from my observations that it HAS made a significant difference in my hair growth. I have not been documenting it so I can’t compare but trust me I can see my upper front center parting has filled in thicker and my thinning crown doesn’t look as bad. It’s hard to tell what is doing this as I have been lasering for almost 2 years and only recently started to use salt scrub, rinse head in very cold water, massage and invert body to get blood flowing but I am POSITIVE the roller has had the biggest effect on this growth so far. I never thought I would be writing this as I am almost 47 and had a good transplant in 2007 which is still looking good so this is (hopefully) going to stop me having to have another procedure. I will continue as is and have just ordered some Biotin. grin

IGNORE

Rosariorose9

RankRank

# 15 ]

January 14, 2014, 07:54 PM

^^^

That’s GREAT news!  Congratulations.  So, what is your regimen with the roller (how many times per week, for how many minutes each time, etc.)?

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

# 16 ]

January 16, 2014, 03:36 AM

I just use it once a week for about 5 minutes.

IGNORE

ZZZ

Rank

Total Posts: 8

# 17 ]

January 16, 2014, 07:52 PM

mrb, thanks for the update.  I’ve been wondering about microneedling.  There are a few threads on some other forums where people are using it and the results seem mixed.

Do you get bleeding?  Sore?  How are you preventing infection?

Of the things you’re mentioning, it would seem like the microneedling is what’s helping.

For support with improving circulation + antibiotic + antifungal, it could be our old friend simple garlic has been overlooked.  I’ve been eating 2-3 cloves/day so far this year, for numerous reasons, and I think its a good idea.  I actually am starting to like it.

http://health.india.com/diseases-conditions/15-health-benefits-of-garlic/

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

# 18 ]

January 17, 2014, 06:35 AM

Infection ? It’s only minor and no bleeding except a small spot here and there. Soreness is negligible but the actual needling sometimes makes my eyes water and my hair gets tangled so I never enjoy the process. I tend to spray the needles with pure alcohol after using. I also take garlic oil capsules and drink apple cider vinegar as well as final rinse on hair. I had athletes foot for years and years and withing a few days it was gone due to apple cider vinegar. Miraculous stuff. I would use it as an anti infection remedy too. After microneedling I always have my laser session.

I hope to continue with more progress. Surely all these factors (minox,hair muck, green tea, saw palmetto, nettle root, ginger, lasering, inversion, cold water rinse, Revita shampoo, Biotin, fin tabs, salt and lime scrub on scalp (from Lush) apple cider,sea kelp, are working together grin

IGNORE

marb

RankRank

# 19 ]

January 20, 2014, 05:35 PM

How do i de

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.