Help With Used 300 Diode Laser Messiah - The Helmet Has 50 Weak Diodes & The Power Supply Blew Out

Share/Bookmark

JJ2man

Rank

Total Posts: 10

November 20, 2013, 12:08 PM

Hi Laser Messiah users,

Firstly, thanks in advance for your help. So I recently purchased a used 300-diode Laser Messiah which was used by two previous owners. The most recent owner claims that the helmet was built by OMG in 2010. There are a few problems with the helmet:

1) When looking at the diodes with sunglasses on, I noticed that about 10 of them have stopped producing light, and approximately 50 of them produce a lower intensity of light than the rest. When I try to shine these “weaker” diodes on my finger at a distance of about 1 inch, there is no visible red light produced. Does this mean these diodes will need to be replaced?

2) This part is REALLY bad: Apparently the voltage switched to 220 for my first couple of uses, which was my mistake for not double checking. Today when I turned the helmet on, at about the 20 minute mark sparks flew out of the power supply and everything in my apartment shut off. I switched the voltage on the power supply back to 110 and the power supply still lights up green, but the diodes have now stopped lighting up.

3) Upon receiving the helmet, approximately 20 of the diodes had fallen out of their slots within the helmet enclosure. I’ve tried to re-position as many diodes as possible back in their intended position, but it’s impossible to get them all to stay in at the same time. A few diodes always fall out. I’m guessing this is due to wear & tear of the foam helmet enclosure, whose material has become somewhat flimsy and weakened.

In addition, a couple of dozen more diodes are hanging by a thread and I worry that these diodes may be facing the wrong direction / not achieve the ideal angle for exposure to my scalp. Please see the attached hi-res photo and feel free to zoom in for further detail. Do you think my best bet is to re-glue these diodes?

Any help/insight would be appreciated.
-Lost in Laserland

Image Attachments  Laser_Messiah_Roi_Fosh_1.jpgtemp_file_Laser_Messiah_Roi_Fosh_21.jpg

IGNORE

A1pup

RankRank

Total Posts: 72

# 1 ]

November 20, 2013, 01:41 PM

Hi jj2man,

First of all, I’m no expert but I own a Lm2 helmet
From john which I put together myself, so I do know
a little..

Ok, so the helmet looks like its been used more
than twice to me, especially if there’s some laser
that aren’t working proper!  Check the wire nuts
for loose connections and all the wiring in general.

Power supply sounds like its no good as you mentioned
that sparks were coming out of it,

Having something round like a “glass head” or a cheap
Poly head to keep your LM on when not in use
Is a “must” in my book as it helps the foam helmet
Conform to the shape of ur head and will stop the
Foam from being stressed..

The lasers should be kept in place with a small
amount of super glue to stop them from coming
out of place.. The bad lasers should be removed
and replaced sooner than later..

Why not try and contact Omg and asking his advice?

A1pup.

IGNORE

JJ2man

Rank

# 2 ]

November 20, 2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks, A1Pup. I am still waiting on an answer from OMG, which is why I’ve turned to the forums.

My apologies for my confusing choice of words. I meant the helmet was owned by 2 previous users. Not that it was used only twice.

UPDATE: The diodes are lighting up again. I waited a couple of hours, plugged the helmet in and it’s back up and running for the time being, so that’s a somewhat good news. Though I’m not sure what caused the original power failure during the incident earlier today when the sparks flew out of the power supply.

All this aside, my biggest concern at the moment are the diodes which are emitting a weak light. Are these diodes useless and do they need to be replaced? (See the below photo - on the left is an example of a weaker diode, and on the right is an example of a stronger diode)

Another concern of mine is that of the health and safety of my eyes. Up until this point, I’ve been wearing sunglasses while examining the strength of the diodes, but I fear that won’t help much. I’ve already noticed some funky colors showing up in my plane of vision, so I’ve stopped completely. Can anyone recommend a safe and effective way to determine the strength of the diodes without damaging one’s eyes?

Many thanks!
-Lost in Laserland

Image Attachments  20131120_135757.jpg

IGNORE

JJ2man

Rank

# 3 ]

November 20, 2013, 02:21 PM

Also, where can I purchase a glass head like the one OMG uses to store the helmet? Thanks!

IGNORE

A1pup

RankRank

# 4 ]

November 20, 2013, 02:24 PM

Are the weak shining diodes getting hot? Its what us
Lm user call “demon diodes” basically that means
That they are no good and need replacing soon..

What’s the wiring like? Wire nuts nice and tight?

Oh! 2 previous owners! Got it now..

Somebody mentioned to Use a piece of paper and place on top of the diodes to check them, personally I don’t and my eyes are fine!

Glass heads on ebay I think, just google it!

Are you in the USA?

IGNORE

JJ2man

Rank

# 5 ]

November 21, 2013, 01:52 AM

Hey A1Pup,

Yes, the weaker light diodes are hotter than the rest. It would seem these are “demon diodes.” How long is the lifespan of a typical diode? Are the Aixiz diodes still running approximately $2.50 per pop?

The wiring of the helmet seems in relatively tact, although there are a couple of diodes which have only 1 color wire running into them and don’t work, and a couple of diodes that randomly shut on and off as they please.

Yes, I am in the USA.

IGNORE

A1pup

RankRank

# 6 ]

November 21, 2013, 04:27 AM

All the Dim lit hot diodes should be removed, when I have had this problem I clip the red and black wire half way between the wire nut and the diode itself, then I just clip the wires to length on the new replacement diode and attach it by simply twisting together the wires and then insulate with either insulation tape or my favourite heat shrink sleeve as it makes a neater job.  If you haven’t got a replacement diode the still remove these demon diodes and just tape up the ends “Separately” till you get some!

I believe that the diodes are good for 10,000 hours of use? Somebody please correct me if I,m wrong! You will get a couple of demon diodes in a helmet, but once these have been weeded out you shud be good for a long time, depending on how you handle, store and treat your helmet will also have an effect..

The diodes where you have just one wire going to them are obviously not correct and you shud try and trace the other wires and re,attach those missing wires to the correct wire nut. Undo the wire nut, this can be a little messy as the wires may become tangled but don’t worry, simply undo the wire nut (counter clockwise) staighten out the cluster of wires, add the missing diode wire then neatly twist all of them (clockwise) and then screw on the wire nut (clockwise) until snug whilst firmly holding all the diode wires just below the bear wire as not to stress the wires. Hope that makes sense!

Yes I believe that Aixiz diodes are still at $2.50..

IGNORE

A1pup

RankRank

# 7 ]

November 21, 2013, 04:39 AM

Oh, and after you remove the wire nut give it a Tap on a table as there are sometimes some wire bits in the nut itself and you don’t want those floating around near your scalp or lasers!

Go thru the Omg building guides/instructions and get yourself familiar with the helmet itself,

Good Luck!

IGNORE

JJ2man

Rank

# 8 ]

November 22, 2013, 01:42 AM

Thanks again, A1Pup! Your post will definitely be helpful for when I replace these diodes. Out of curiosity, why do I need to remove the demon diodes immediately? Can these diodes do more harm than good?

Also, has OMG made a manual to go along with this helmet? OMG already sent me an email with recommended procedures of usage (20 minutes, 3 times a week after applying polysorbate 80, Emu Oil and Niacin, etc), but is there a manual with instructions for general usage and maintenence of the helmet?

Thanks as always!

IGNORE

A1pup

RankRank

# 9 ]

November 22, 2013, 03:42 AM

Demon diodes will get hot when you use your LM which is uncomfortable, don’t think its good for the hair its shining on too!

There is a LM build manual on Omg,s other website “Overmachogrande.com” just google it, although I think its for the “LM1 model” but it will give you some info and it will get you familiar with the wiring/diodes etc.. There’s Loads of good info on that site about everything..

Your Welcome!

A1pup.

IGNORE

JJ2man

Rank

# 10 ]

January 17, 2014, 08:44 PM

Hi,

To update you, I was able to superglue the loose diodes and the helmet now works much better. I’ve been using it for 2 months and am already noticing slight thickening of my hair. I can’t wait to report more results as time passes!

Quick troubleshooting issue: I’ve had to replace about 10 demon diodes which were shining weak light and very hot to the touch. I was able to replace these demon diodes successfully, however since then I’ve encountered more diodes heating up to very hot temperatures, and seeming to be on their way to becoming “demons.” I am worried that the issue is either a) a bad power supply, or b) the way the helmet is wired.

As far as the wiring, I noticed that in some cases, as many as 11 diodes are connected under a single wire nut. Is there a maximum number of diodes that should be connected wire nut? I noticed in most cases, diodes are paired in groups of 8 under 1 wire nut. Is it possible that grouping more than 8 together would cause burnout and/or demon diodes?

This is the way the helmet came, so it’s possible a previous owner messed with it. who knows…

I appreciate your help!
Jeff

IGNORE

Jidokwan

Rank

Total Posts: 5

# 11 ]

January 18, 2014, 02:56 AM

I built my own laser helmet using OMG’s instruction sheet. I have used both the pulse drive as well as the standard power supply with the helmet. I have noticed that the helmet does run quite hot. My day job is as an electrical engineer so I’m quite confident I know I have done the correct things as far as the wiring goes.  The heat concerned me so much that I performed some experiments on a little test array of laser diodes to determine the operating temperature of the diodes during use.  I have found that the diodes exceed the maximum temperature specification of 50C when using the standard DC supply as well as Mode 3 on the pulse drive unit at about the 10 minute mark. At the end of 20 minutes, the diodes are at 66 C using the standard supply and, 53 C using mode 3 on the pulse supply. 66 C is about 152 F which is quite warm! This confirms what I have been sensing on my head during use.

The power consumed by a single diode is about 99 mW. The diode delivers about 5 mW of useful laser light. This means that about 94 mW of waste heat is generated in each diode. If you multiply that 94 mW by the number of diodes, in your case 300, you get about 28 Watts of waste heat. This is a fair amount. My solution to the problem is to point a small fan at the helmet during use to lower the temperature of the diodes.  It works quite well. I have been using my helmet 3 times a week for a year now and have yet to loose a single diode to failure. The key is to keep the diode temperature below 50 C. The diodes will last a lot longer if they are operated at lower temperatures. I have written a report complete with pictures and sent it to OMG. I was sent a diode specification sheet by Dr. Maricle. I’m not really sure what OMG thinks about it all.

I don’t think there is any issue with your wiring as long as all the red wires are connected to each other and ditto for the black ones. The red wires go to the positive terminal (+) and the black go to the negative (-) You won’t damage the diodes if the wires are reversed, the diodes just don’t light up. There is a laser diode driver circuit built into each diode that regulates the current flow in the laser diode. The diodes are quite robust and will take quite a bit of abuse. I have overdriven the diodes by 10 volts and found no issues as the built in circuitry does a good job at limiting the current.

IGNORE

JJ2man

Rank

# 12 ]

January 18, 2014, 03:12 AM

Jidokwan, Thank you very much for your insight!

Yes, I have noticed my diodes becoming quite hot to the touch after about the 5-10 minute mark. I will try pointing a small fan at the helmet, as each time a diode fails it costs me an extra $4 and time to replace.

I have not used the pulse drive with my unit, though I have been curious about it. Do you find it has improved results for you?

Again, much appreciated,
Jeff

IGNORE

Jidokwan

Rank

Total Posts: 5

# 13 ]

January 18, 2014, 12:04 PM

You are quite welcome Jeff.  As far as the pulse drive goes, the only thing I noticed is that it ran the helmet cooler than the standard supply did. I have not felt any “bio-stimulation” that OMG talks so much about. You can try an easy experiment if you do feel it.  Just wear the helmet for the 20 minutes with the diodes off and see what happens. For me, the head band seems to cause some weird sensations probably due to poor blood circulation from the tightness of the band. If the brush bristles are pressing on the scalp in any way that too causes some sensation. I quit feeling the big burning sensation since I started blowing air across the helmet during use.

Recently I tried the polysorbate 80 / bromelain mixture that is talked about on the home page of this site. There was no tingling sensations of any kind as reported. So, maybe it works or maybe not. I tried it several times and quit since it wasn’t giving the increased sensations as advertised.

As far as results between the two different power supplies go, I have recently switched back to the standard power supply and 20 minutes because the new time requirement for the pulse supply is now 25 minutes. It was stated that you get “way more pump” with the additional five minutes. Based on my energy calculations, the additional time makes up for the amount of time the diode is off. I have done some energy dose calculations along with the temperature testing that shows this. I am planning on building my own pulse supply some day when I have time so I can play with the frequency and duty cycle of the waveform.  I believe everybody’s reaction to pulsing will be different because we are all different. I may find a setting or range of settings that work for me.

The bottom line: My results after a year of use are mixed. Careful photography over the year has shown no new growth. The hair that I do have is darker where the lasers shine on it and the hairs are a little thicker so I concur with your findings. It isn’t a total loss for me. I am not surprised given my age and how long ago I experienced the hair loss. My hair has been quite stable for the last 15 years so I’m not really worried about it. The lost hairs are gone forever as they are well outside the 30 month window talked about on this site. I have also noticed that the laser therapy makes those nearly invisible vellus hairs grow from about 1/16 of an inch to about a quarter inch and then fall out. (maybe it is because I keep my hair about a quarter inch long)  I know they will never turn to actual terminal hairs. I’ve also never experienced the massive shed that several others on this site talk about.

I have recently visited Hasson & Wong’s Seattle office for a hair transplant consult.  I’m told I am an excellent candidate as my hair is stable and I have an ample supply of donor hair. There are big decisions ahead for me!  I will continue with the laser helmet to test out the claim that laser therapy reduces gray hair.

IGNORE

Rosariorose9

RankRank

Total Posts: 101

# 14 ]

January 19, 2014, 04:51 PM

Excellent, excellent posts, Jidokwan.  Thanks for adding such substantive information to the knowledge base here for all of us on this forum who are interested in developing a productive lasering protocol.

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.