My story so far -  LLT etc

Share/Bookmark

marb

RankRank

Total Posts: 81

November 08, 2014, 08:31 AM

Well after 2 years and 7 months I really can’t say that I have had any regrowth at all. It’s hard to tell because sometimes in the year my hair looks thicker and some times not so. This year I feel in particular that my hair is at it’s worse (usually great this time of year)

I use Minox+hair muck most evenings (horrible greasy stain on pillow that you can’t wash out after time)
Saw Palmetto
Finesteride
Nettle Root
Green Tea
3 x 24 min LLT sessions a week
Micro needle (1-2 times a week started Sept 2013)
Biotin max strength (started Jan 2014 but had to stop as causing red blisters on legs and hands and face.
Head rinse in cold water then massage
Body inversion 1-2 mins a day after massage.
Occasional clay

I am 47 and I had a transplant 7 years ago and as I shed pretty much all the time now and find thin, tapering hairs coming out near and at my crown area. I feel at the moment (and this may change) that I am doing everything I can to improve my hair but it is not enough. To be fair my surgeon told me on 2007 that I may need to come back in 5 years so 7 years isn’t too bad but I would have thought all this effort would keep me maintaining. I will also add that stress this year due to personal family issues has been immense and I am as low as I have ever been as I do suffer depression. The hair loss adds to it in a big way.

When I first started using the micro needle (recommended thickness etc) I saw excellent results but since a year ago it seems worse. again, this could be the stress and depression not helping so I won’t give up with the laser and all the other regime. Biotin seems to make incredible hair growth for some people but for me the opposite seemed to happen.

At this point in time all I can see in the near future is going back to my surgeon for a second transplant but the cost is out of my affordability at the moment as it is in Ottowa. I really wanted to avoid this route again despite him being excellent.

Again, I am not saying LLT does not work, it’s just proving harder for me to see results but I will stick with it and I feel at least I am doing something. The mind plays funny tricks on us because sometimes I am convinced that my hair is much thicker and I get on a high. Then some time later when I see thin, colorless and tapering hairs come out I know the opposite is happening. My main issue at the moment is holding myself together.

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 1 ]

November 08, 2014, 08:22 PM

Hey, Marb!

First of all… look no further than minox for your troubles—as I’ve always said, ONE DAY you are going to “pay the piper” with it.  If you look at forum posts spanning back from the late 90’s, you’ll see the pattern of people having ok-to-great results with it right off the bat, but those same people by year two or so will be looking for ways to get off of it.  They end up wasting years chasing those beginning results, and they never get it back, and eventually their hair will get worse.  Happens so much that it’s not a coincidence.  Anyway, I’ll go into that more in a minute because there are much more important things:

Have you been doing scalp peels?  Those are the single greatest ancillary treatments for laser therapy that I know of.  I can go into details here if you need me to.  Along those lines, I’m finding just glycolic acid five minutes before a shower might be easier (although nothing can beat a true scalp peel -it’s just that they can be a pain in the rear).

Also, I see your regimen, and I just want you to make sure that you aren’t doing something else that might be hindering your hair.  The reason I say that is that I’ve heard several times over the past couple of months of people having hair loss from large intakes of B vitamins (maybe mostly B-12?) from acne boards.  Little things like that can be total jerks!!!

You’ve been using microneedling for over a year?  That’s actually one of the longest runs I’ve heard!  Congrats on that!  At the same time, though, you say your hair has normally looked good this time of year, and this year it doesn’t -and wounding is new.  I think, of course, it’s the minox, but could you be microneedling TOO MUCH?  Could you be shooting yourself in the foot? There was always talk that microneedling could actually cause micro-scarring, which wouldn’t be good in the long run.  Now, as you know, wounding absolutely has been shown to grow hair without a shadow of a doubt, so I’m just thinking out loud there that unfortunately none of us know really how much to do it (and I really don’t hear positive results in the forums from microneedling, and I even did it for six months back in 2006 or so). 

So, just to point out your thought process really quick, you have in your post with “Again, I am not saying LLT does not work, it’s just proving harder for me to see results”, and I have to point out that you’re not being fair because you’ve added new things, and you’re doing something that is problematic (minox).  Why didn’t you say “Again, I’m am not saying MINOX doesn’t work”, or “Again, I’m not saying that MICRO-NEEDLING doesn’t work”?  Am-I-right?  See!  Keep it fair!  Ok, back to it…

Part of the effectiveness of scalp peels is similar to this (stem cell production).  The scalp peels dissolve the cruddy layers of skin over time, though, and I would *guess* they would be more effective than microneedling -but I have no idea.  It seems that over a short period of time you’d actually impact a much greater area if a lotion/liquid was used vs. the needles. 

Just wanted to pass that on!

Oh, and back to the minox: I am NOT a fan of minox, and you probably know that. I won’t give you a hard time except to say that almost every single time someone is having problems, minox is involved—and most people DON’T use minox that I speak to these days!  So, use at your own risk—and if you quit it, expect a long time to normalize!  But hey, if it’s working for you, don’t let me stop you!

As far as the mind playing tricks on you, yes, it’s well documented that we all “change the goalpost” on ourselves.  As soon as your hair gets thicker, your brain ceases to think that this is good enough and it sets a new goal for you all by itself (sort of like eating disorders!).

Good luck—and scalp peels are one of the top things I’m covering when the site is back online!

-O.M.G.

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

OverMachoGrande

RankRankRank

Editor

Total Posts: 906

# 2 ]

November 10, 2014, 12:51 PM

I’m sorry, Marb, but I’ve given you a couple of days to respond, and I need to shut down the forum.  I tried to wait -and I actually was going to do this last week.  If you need me, you can email me!

Build your own Laser Helmet | Laser Brush | Laser Device at OverMachoGrande.com!  The internet’s first, best, and biggest consumer advocate site on laser therapy for hair loss!  It’s time to educate yourself about one of the greatest treatments in FORUM HISTORY…

IGNORE

THE INTERNET'S HOME FOR

HAIR LOSS NEWS, TREATMENTS, SOLUTIONS, AND FORUMS.